Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Watch for a Marathon

Options
  • 22-04-2020 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before but could not find it.

Has anybody here got any experience of using the Apple Watch for marathon training/running?

I’ve been using Garmin for the last few years and can’t fault them but have an itch to get an Apple Watch 5 since I have and iPhone/AirPods etc. So when things get going again here after covid19 I was thinking of getting one.

I’m in or around 4 hours for a marathon but I’ve seen some online reviews saying that the Apple Watch battery will not last that long when using for a marathon. I’d prob turn off everything else except GPS tracking. Would it last the 4 hours?

Anybody here any experience of it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Friend of mine used one at DCM last year and he said he had 30% left after running a 3:50 Marathon. His is only a 3rd generation watch also so you'd expect the newer ones to be even better battery wise.
    I remember asking him afterward, as he was worried it wouldn't last the full Marathon .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

peter4918 wrote: »
    I’d prob turn off everything else except GPS tracking.

Why not stick with your Garmin if that is the case?

Sorry, nothing constructive to add as have no experience of any apple products but if you are only going to need GPS, then any cheap GPS watch will do that for a lot cheaper than the Apple watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Use the correct tool for the job.

Garmin for running, Apple for fashion and an empty wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    Use the correct tool for the job.

Garmin for running, Apple for fashion and an empty wallet.

That response might seem harsh, but it's an honest good response.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Have a look at the DCRainmaker website - he reviews all sports watches - as well as battery Apple in gerneral does not fare as well as Garmin/Polar when it comes to GPS accuracy so best off sticking with Garmin imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The choice you need to make is, do want a smart watch with GPS functionality or a GPS watch with smart functionality?

Curveball for the Polar fans!

Advertisement