Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John Waters & Gemma O'Doherty to challenge lockdown in the high Court

1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lumen wrote: »
    She was reportedly driving around Greystones yesterday in a pickup towing a display trailer with antivax messages. :rolleyes:

Hope she has a licence to tow a trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hope she has a licence to tow a trailer

You don't need one if under a certain weight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You don't need one if under a certain weight.....

I'd say that chip on her shoulder puts her well over the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

It is not at all certain that this particular genie can be put back in the bottle, unfortunately.
    Social media giants such as Facebook and Twitter are reluctant to police this phenomenon, which allows the influence of "the idiots" to proliferate. Just look at Trump and his followers in the US. Similarly with Brexit in the UK, the useful idiots on social media have allowed the Tories to promote the lunacy of "Global Britain", another vacuous bit of nonsense.
    What is really worrying is that these idiots are allowed to spread their nonsense far and wide and there seems to be little that can be done to prevent them. Anti-mask nutjobs, anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists, you name it, all have their say on social media.

When I say put the genie back in the bottle I agree we can't turn back time. But we can take action - and trying to "moderate it" like lockdowns won't work in long term. There is an endless supply of village idiots - like suckers, a new one is born every minute. What we need to do is develop a vaccine and inoculate future generations against it by using the education system to teach children how social media and this lot misinform - from basic statistics to disassembling disingenious arguments. The Finns and the Estonians are busy doing this. We can't get rid if the disease completely but we can develop "herd immunity" to stupidity. Thats the dream anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It'd be a terrible shame if a fire axe ended up somehow buried in that matrix sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

micosoft wrote: »
    What we need to do is develop a vaccine and inoculate future generations against it by using the education system to teach children how social media and this lot misinform - from basic statistics to disassembling disingenious arguments. The Finns and the Estonians are busy doing this. We can't get rid if the disease completely but we can develop "herd immunity" to stupidity. Thats the dream anyway.

Instead what we do is we spend at least 30 minutes every single school day teaching kids the original fake news - religion.

Life ain't always empty.

These 2 are up presenting to the supreme court on Tuesday. Again they've refused legal aid so will argue the case themselves which, judging on past history, means they are likely to fail miserably, but then maybe the day out in court is all they are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I bet the the war in Ukraine will somehow find its way into their argument, even though obviously it has nothing to do with their case and happened a few years afterwards, but hey why should that get it the way.

Look forward to reading that judgement and the rubbish arguments they put forward....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Biolabs in Ukraine! Run by the Americans! You know who's American? George Soros, that's who! See! Wake up, sheeple! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thats it really. They are looking for the day in court for attention seeking. No other reason really

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement