Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The HOPE thread. And there are good reasons to be hopeful!!

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wheety wrote: »
    I tend to read replies first and then look at what someone has replied to so initially I thought VinLieger was replying to DeVore :D

Hahah when you put it like that it does seem a bit off :):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Congratulations DeVore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

DeVore wrote: »
    Oh and I proposed to my boo on my 50th birthday if you all need some awwww.

The pic attached was shot during the zoom party I did it at and the reactions are fire! :)

507944.jpg

Brilliant

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thank you, life continues. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Oh and I proposed to my boo on my 50th birthday if you all need some awwww.

The pic attached was shot during the zoom party I did it at and the reactions are fire! :)

507944.jpg

Brilliant :)
    Congrats.

• Advertisement

I think today was really really not the time for Aprils Fools jokes hahaha... People are fried and we need to band together, not play pranks on each other.

Congratulations on your engagement.

I disagree on your point about humour- humour is very important in these times- I’ve suffered a lot of death through the years with various family members - sometimes, it’s only the humour that gets you through.

True but I never really found Aprils Fools to be particularly funny.

The Irish (and others) creating funny images and gifs and vids on the other hand, some of those are absolutely hilarious :)

Infection rate of those with Covid-19 has dropped, latest figures show

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0404/1128496-covid-19-figures/?fbclid=IwAR29MDeTiVSQh2zyzdg0lW8XSs5qgUlXlQQKXeWi3exUCN4U2CoiRMX_U3c

"The number of people that a person with Covid-19 is infecting in Ireland is reducing.

The "RE" number, or the reproductive rate of the virus, refers to how many other people a confirmed case goes on to infect, and it is closely monitored by health officials.

On 16 March, a person infected with Covid-19 here would "likely" infect another 4.3 people.

Minister for Health Simon Harris said that by the end of March, this dropped to 2.5 people.

At a news conference this afternoon, Mr Harris said that this is "real progress", but said we need to get this number below one. He said if we can reduce this figure to below one, it means the "virus doesn't sustain itself in the community".

Mr Harris said that the next seven days will be "absolutely critical".
    The number of "close contacts" recorded for people with the virus has now reduced to three, down from around 20 a few weeks ago.

Mr Harris said that this is because we are now "making it harder for the disease to spread".

However he said, even though the rate of growth is slowing, it is still too high"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Though I'd post this here. Something to lift the spirits.

Professional commentary on kids back garden football.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-52152335/coronavirus-garden-goals-getting-pro-commentary

This is a good graph.

EU3kuiQXQAQQopt?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement

There is an argument that we're seeing better case infection rates because we arent testing enough. While its true we should test more, we're actually pretty good at testing per-capita compared to other EU countries. At the same time, its true that not testing will have this effect.

So, heres the important stat thats hard to deny, deaths. But here there is some hope too.

EU3j_W3XkAEDuiS?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Ah, but there was a great April's fool in some Clare paper. They reported that Bruce Springsteen got stuck in Ireland and is self-isolating in a cottage in Feakle.

For a second I got all excited... :o

Congrats DeVore, and well done with your informations (and making it to 50).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There is no such thing in nature as an exponential.

What about a nuclear chain reaction?

Eventually it runs out of nuclear material to chain react.

(I didnt say all the logistic curves were small :) )

TB vaccine (BCG) shows promise as a prophalactic vaccination. More trials being run on care workers in NY.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-more-striking-evidence-bcg-vaccine-might-protect-against-covid-19-1.4222110

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

I'm hearing that countries that have had national TB vaccination programs are doing better and that this includes Ireland - is BCG one of the ones we would have gotten as kids or would we have to get it again as adults should it deliver on this initial promise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

This gladdened my heart

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-52192420

Poor little kid.:(

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    I'm hearing that countries that have had national TB vaccination programs are doing better and that this includes Ireland - is BCG one of the ones we would have gotten as kids or would we have to get it again as adults should it deliver on this initial promise?

Way too early to tell, and I'm not an epidermiologist so I couldnt and shouldnt answer that.

From my understanding of numbers, what will need to happen is a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial (which is what they are doing in NY afaik). With sufficient numbers, that will give an idea if its something that actually works.

I could imagine a booster shot might be desireable/necessary but thats only my lay-mans understanding of epidermiology.

All of this needs further research, its far from proven and we shouldnt jump to conclusions. But this is the "Hope" thread, not the "Proven outcomes with clinical trials attached" thread so I feel its got sufficient science behind it to be encouraging.

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    I'm hearing that countries that have had national TB vaccination programs are doing better and that this includes Ireland

Source?

I'm hearing a lot of things but I don't repeat them without a credible link to back it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I just noticed that Gemma Doherty is trending. I know she has a controversial approach lets say. Never actually payed any interest until now. Seems to calling out Michael Ryan and taking something he said completely out of context. Tweeting about 5g conspiracy type stuff too. How is she sort of famous. Seems really bizarre. I am a bit shocked tbh. She is calling Michael Ryan from the World Health Org a creep. She seems a complete loose cannon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Carry wrote: »
    Ah, but there was a great April's fool in some Clare paper. They reported that Bruce Springsteen got stuck in Ireland and is self-isolating in a cottage in Feakle.

For a second I got all excited... :o

Congrats DeVore, and well done with your informations (and making it to 50).

Matt Damon's in Killiney, however. And we know he's immune to it already!

wadacrack wrote: »
    I just noticed that Gemma Doherty is trending.

Don't mention that absolute c*nt (and I don't use that word lightly) in this positive thread

She's the Irish Katie Hopkins. The "brand" for both of them is to say and do outrageous things

Matt Damon's in Killiney, however. And we know he's immune to it already!

Lol. Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

New cases down for a 3rd day. Very good news.

Baz Ashmawy and his follow up chat with Dr. Paddy Mallon after the first one was viewed in the hundreds of thousands

Very cautious optimism?

https://www.facebook.com/bashmawy/videos/634155507431183/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

TB vaccine (BCG) shows promise as a prophalactic vaccination. More trials being run on care workers in NY.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-more-striking-evidence-bcg-vaccine-might-protect-against-covid-19-1.4222110

It's only taken 6mts for the penny to drop..can we open up now so you can start planning that wedding properly:)

Bacillus Calmette-Guerin boosts immunity in a generalised way, which may offer some protection against the pandemic, experts say.
    By Russell Hope, news reporter
    Monday 12 October 2020 00:02, UK

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-tuberculosis-vaccine-bcg-could-help-in-fight-against-covid-19-12101521

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

simply put....YES

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I find it pretty amazing the UK are trialling the BCG vaccine on health care staff and we're giving out the flu jab when we've no recorded flu this year.
    We stopped giving it to children here a few years ago, I've 3 kids two have had the vaccine along with my wife and I but our 2yr old hasn't had it.

"Countries that had compulsory bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination at least until 2000 appear to have built up a degree of “herd immunity” against COVID-19, a new study suggests."
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/mandatory-bcg-vaccination-may-slow-spread-of-covid-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I find it pretty amazing the UK are trialling the BCG vaccine on health care staff and we're giving out the flu jab when we've no recorded flu this year.
    We stopped giving it to children here a few years ago, I've 3 kids two have had the vaccine along with my wife and I but our 2yr old hasn't had it.

"Countries that had compulsory bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination at least until 2000 appear to have built up a degree of “herd immunity” against COVID-19, a new study suggests."
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/mandatory-bcg-vaccination-may-slow-spread-of-covid-19

How do we find out if we got this vaccine or not ? was it common in Ireland ?

Advertisement