Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

• 25-03-2020 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Was talking to my mechanic today. My NCT is due in May, he said there is long waiting list for inspections and only Ballina and Galway open in the West of Ireland. Suggested I book right away.

But I was just able to book for Westport tomorrow afternoon and there were lots of time slots to choose from. I presume it woudn't let me book if they were closed?
    Post edited by L1011 on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

AFAIK the Westport centre is still open. You're just not allowed hang around in the waiting room. The full inspection is only being carried out in Ballina and Galway at the moment due to the issue with the lifts.

You can still make an appointment and get all the other points checked but you will need to return at a later date once the lifts are back in service. Had mine done last month and still waiting for the call-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

I have to get the car nct next week the nct is up but I’m worried about going out in this situation,I’m off work but do use the car two three times a week now for shopping would the guards take the car off me and can they tell with there new machines if I pass one of them I’m worried

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No NCT, you shouldn't be driving. If the shops are too far to walk, a lot of places are pushing delivery services now.

No NCT, you shouldn't be driving. If the shops are too far to walk, a lot of places are pushing delivery services now.

That’s what I am asking will the guards take the car off of me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That’s what I am asking will the guards take the car off of me

You'll have to call'em. They generally arent too fond of seeing cars on the road, that shouldn't be.

• Advertisement

You'll have to call'em. They generally arent too fond of seeing cars on the road, that shouldn't be.

Call the guards ?? Or call the nct??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What condition is the car in? For example if it has bald/defective tyres it could be seized NCT or no NCT. Are all the lights on it working, if not it will only draw attention to you.

I thought this was a site that gives advice not criticism I’m very surprised by your tone been a moderator I’m going to report you !! We are going through a pandemic and your response with the way you worded your response is disgusting I’m just trying to gather information

What condition is the car in? For example if it has bald/defective tyres it could be seized NCT or no NCT. Are all the lights on it working, if not it will only draw attention to you.

The car is serviced regularly and has no bald tyres or no lights that are not working in just concerned thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The car is serviced regularly and has no bald tyres or no lights that are not working in just concerned thanks

Book your test and bring the car down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Mine is out next week too, I'm not bringing it for now, I live 30mins from shops, I will be driving it when I have to. If guards stop me I'll explain to them there's a contagious pandemic happening. I doubt they will care that it will be out of nct a few weeks but who knows, I'd rather take that chance.

I thought this was a site that gives advice not criticism I’m very surprised by your tone been a moderator I’m going to report you !! We are going through a pandemic and your response with the way you worded your response is disgusting I’m just trying to gather information

I did give advice. You dont have to like it. What happens when theres other stuff you dont like outside of boards. Who would you run to then?

rainemac wrote: »
    Mine is out next week too, I'm not bringing it for now, I live 30mins from shops, I will be driving it when I have to. If guards stop me I'll explain to them there's a contagious pandemic happening. I doubt they will care that it will be out of nct a few weeks but who knows, I'd rather take that chance.
    Yes I’m kinda similar with the shops been that distance I kinda don’t know what to do I’m really practicing social distancing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Hold on there a sec.
    Stop unnecessarily trying to frighten people.

There is a worldwide pandemic going on at the moment where many tens of thousands of people will die; including people that we know. That is the reality of the situation.
    The UK government, sensibly, has granted car owners in Britain and Northern Ireland a six-month exemption from MOT testing during this pandemic.
    This is not happening in the Republic of Ireland for some reason.
    On the Covid forum, you wanted someone to bring an NCT-due-car to the testing centre, even though the owner of the car was under isolation.

Ladyinthedark; I would not worry too much about it. If the Guards stop you, just explain that you intend to NCT the vehicle when the testing centres are deemed a safe environment.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Hold on there a sec.

There is a worldwide pandemic going on at the moment where many tens of thousands of people will die; including people that we know. That is the reality of the situation.
    The UK government, sensibly, has granted car owners in Britain and Northern Ireland a six-month exemption from MOT testing during this pandemic.
    On the Covid forum, you wanted someone to bring an NCT-due-car to the testing centre, even though the owner of the car was under isolation.

Ladyinthedark; I would not worry too much about it. If the Guards stop you, just explain that you intend to NCT the vehicle when the testing centres are deemed a safe environment.

Theres other options. I wasnt scaring her. What she's looking to do comes up frequently on the Twitter feed. The consensus is, if the car shouldn't be on the road, it shouldn't be on the road.

I did give advice. You dont have to like it. What happens when theres other stuff you dont like outside of boards. Who would you run to then?
    You don't have to be dick about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hold on there a sec.

Plus, ye forgot that half of the NCT centres are not fully operational. I've passed the first part of the test a few weeks back. Rang earlier this week to see if their lift was fixed and was told, 'most likely second or third week in April, if we're not shut down before then'.

You don't have to be dick about it.

I wasnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Hold on there a sec.

The Nct centres are deemed a safe environment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭This is it

I wasnt?

Subjective I suppose.

• Advertisement

vw4life wrote: »
    By whom?

How often are NCT staff changing their gloves? After each inspection?
    Are car owners required to sanitise the vehicle before and indeed after the inspection to protect themselves? And repeat this process after the private NCT company fix their lifts, when motorists are required to return again to complete the tests in a month's time?

But I am genuinely curious on who deem NCT centres safe, and I'm sure that it is not a self-declaration by the company, because it is actually a life and death situation for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

vw4life wrote: »

Not when it comes to standing under their lifts apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭richardsheil

I wasnt?

You were- undoubtedly

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Do the NCT testers have PPE now? How can they get into car after car after car some of which will be covered in virus particles , It only has to get lucky once.
    If they are not protected by PPE , they almost guaranteed to get it at some point over the course of a few weeks. and once they have it and they are now shedding virus into car after car after car until they become symptomatic.

If they don't have PPE it should be suspended.

We are being told Keplar, that the NCT testers are wearing rubber gloves.
    Does that give us any sense of reassurance?

It is the height of insanity that this testing is allowed to continue in its current format. Without correct remediation immediately, current Irish NCT test centres must be riddled with virus contaminants and will infect unsuspecting motorists and staff accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I took my car in last week. Gloves are changed after each inspection, and they asked everyone to wait outside the waiting room till cars are returned.

I made sure the car was clean before going it (I can't remember if it was an email or on the website, but it does mention that the car should be clean and no stuff like used tissues in the car) and I used my wipes to go over it again once I got in,

Perhaps best people to phone would be your insurance company. They are the only ones that will tell you if you are insured to drive without a valid nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

My nct ran out this week and I have to get to work 5 days a week.

I will. Normally I would have the car tested last month.

Big deal...

Imagine the country being on hold not because of the virus, but the fecking nct.

Which I would normally do earlier, but with no lifts I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Will ya bring the car for the test for the love of God.

No offence but grow up, like you're not going to get shot or die

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you can drive to the shops you can drive to NCT

Edit, since this comment the govt have enforced full lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

biko wrote: »
    If you can drive to the shops you can drive to NCT
    When I drive to the shops while I'm picking up eggs and milk I don't expect the shopkeeper to climb into my car and touch all the usual surfaces and breathe in it. Big difference B. As far as potential pathogen loads go(of any kind) our cars are right up there as risks. If I'm infected and spreading live virus it'll be all over the inside of my car. If anyone gets into it without proper PPE they will be exposed(and no a pair of gloves wouldn't cut it) and some will be infected. If a tester is infected they have the potential to infect many people. Never mind that after the lift fiasco many centres are not fit for purpose and people need to bring their car in twice.

It seems bloody ridiculous to me that in the midst of the greatest health threat to Irish people in the history of this state we have a potential infection pinch point still running, yet on the other hand we're told to practice distancing and keeping the hell away from anybody we don't live with. It makes zero bloody sense to me. And I'd bet the farm any epidemiologist would agree with me. How many test centres remain operational in Spain, Italy, France etc? Even Britain who up until recently have been decidedly laggard in bringing in restrictions have stopped their MOT system.
    If that's true that requires a new definition of stupid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement