Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Covid-19 Haircut Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There was a report on the BBC lunchtime news about this, same problem over there.

I think the authorities in both jurisdictions have messed up on this one, not realising hairdressing and haircuts are pretty much an essential service in modern society, not just some trivial thing of no consequence. Expecting people to cut their own hair for months on end is not very realistic.

ixoy wrote: »
    What level of precaution are they taking? Face masks for all for example? I mean that's likely what they'll be doing when their restrictions are lifted.

that's what they are doing in Germany, Spain right now

_112106128_tv061312134.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

“Backdoor Hair Dressers”

Thought this was going to be about your arsehole waxed or ass cheek hair styled in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think the authorities in both jurisdictions have messed up on this one, not realising hairdressing and haircuts are pretty much an essential service in modern society

Hahaha!

Really?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

D3V!L wrote: »
    In general people dont seem to give a f*ck about restrictions. Without even leaving my house I seen 4 different neighbours have visitors come and go recently. One neighbour lifted a fence panel and had her next door neighbour into the garden for drinks and a natter. Thought no one would notice.

Once the restrictions become pointless and almost endlessly drawn out, then yes people will work around them. That’s what human beings do- they live rather than sitting at home waiting to die

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MarkR wrote: »
    My wife's aged aunt mentioned that she's getting her hair done tomorrow in a place in Limerick. And weren't they great to be opening to help the elderly.

They are still closed, right?
    Great to be opened?

Where is their clap at 8 o clock eh?

Greedy feckers more like it....but if oul biddies want to put themselves at risk work away imo

D3V!L wrote: »
    One neighbour lifted a fence panel and had her next door neighbour into the garden for drinks and a natter. Thought no one would notice.

In the garden? Socially distancing? I don't see the problem.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Who cares anymore.

Penfailed wrote: »
    In the garden? Socially distancing? I don't see the problem.

giphy.webp

Penfailed wrote: »
    Hahaha!

Really?

Yes really.....a black market in hairdressing throughout the UK and Ireland would suggest it's not something that can just be parked and forgotten about for a few months as something frivolous and of entirely no consequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The ould back door. Nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

the opening timeline for them is a joke. Go look at the other european countries its the first thing that opens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think mandatory prison and/or large fines should be normal for anyone breaking the restrictions.

We have been too lax from the start.

We need to police restrictions better in a second wave. We will have learned from this time round hopefully.

rob316 wrote: »
    the opening timeline for them is a joke. Go look at the other european countries its the first thing that opens there.

I don't buy either that they are especially dangerous places. If the hairdresser or barber wears a mask and gloves and observes good hygiene, you would have thought the risk of he / she giving the virus to their client would be extremely low (and the idea would be that there would be very few clients in the salon at the same time).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Most services we are opening later are backwards and contrary to the majority of EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

And if they did and everything went to **** you'd have people complaining that they shouldn't have followed other EU countries.

Do they other EU countries know something we don't? Or do you know something we don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I think mandatory prison and/or large fines should be normal for anyone breaking the restrictions.

We need to police restrictions better in a second wave. We will have learned from this time round hopefully.

Couldn't disagree more with that. We shat ourselves very early in this thing. WTF building sites, road works,landscapers etc had to down tools is a mystery. Mad carry on. Now we are going to feel that impact on the economy amd in our loves a lot more than the actual illness caused by covid 19.

Lockdowns really only work on a limited and phased basis. Our lads are pulling the piss now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Give me a 50's looking gal any day, thick hair, dark waves and class over the modern generic hybrid's...

I'm growing mine out, I look around 17 again, that wavy thick 90's hairdo..
    My Gf love's it...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

The Government need to look at this again, currently there are hairdressers claiming the pandemic payment and also carrying out nixers on the side which they aren't paying any tax on it. It doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hairdressers plead with government to let them reopen before July

"Salons will not reopen until Phase 4 of the government's roadmap plan, meaning they will remain closed until July 20, because they are not deemed essential services.

But the group wants salons to be moved into Phase 3 of the plan, on June 29, due to fears of a black market economy."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/hairdressers-plead-with-government-to-let-them-reopen-before-july-997886.html

I still can't figure out why our hairdressers are in phase 4 July 20th yet hairdressers in Denmark could be opened 3 months at that stage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-52360452

What is so radically different over here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

And also labour camps for who disobey the government like they do in North Korea.

“Backdoor Hair Dressers”

Thought this was going to be about your arsehole waxed or ass cheek hair styled in some way.

back, sack and crack?

probably always had to wear a face mask in some cases there.

although I think that largely went out with the demise of the celtic tiger as a male service.

you could go DIY although there are some inherent risks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3GDDEL1SC1QQ5

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes really.....a black market in hairdressing throughout the UK and Ireland would suggest it's not something that can just be parked and forgotten about for a few months as something frivolous and of entirely no consequence.

It very much is something that can be parked. At the rate your hair grows, it's very easy to deal with a bit of lengtht. People not being willing to out up with any sort of inconvenience or a bit of long hair because they think they're more important than everyone else isn't any proof of it being essential.

God forbid your roots are showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't buy either that they are especially dangerous places. If the hairdresser or barber wears a mask and gloves and observes good hygiene, you would have thought the risk of he / she giving the virus to their client would be extremely low (and the idea would be that there would be very few clients in the salon at the same time).

It's about the closest contact business there is bar massaging. Plus therell be loads of people looking to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Why is other countries had hairdressers amongst the first to open up but we have them amongst the last?

Do we know something other countries don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Is widespread destitution your ultimate goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Why is other countries had hairdressers amongst the first to open up but we have them amongst the last?

Do we know something other countries don't?

We can just see how it turns out for them in a few weeks, nothing set in concrete

One of the things that was repeatedly claimed about transmission of the virus was that it was more dangerous to be within 2m of someone indoors for longer than 15 minutes. Hairdressing ticks all those boxes. I can see why the government are erring on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

manlad wrote: »
    The Government need to look at this again, currently there are hairdressers claiming the pandemic payment and also carrying out nixers on the side which they aren't paying any tax on it. It doesn't make sense.

A Revenue project on hairdressers and nail bars will do much to balance the books in due course. Overdue since the last one, I imagine. Their cars and lifestyles give it all away.

Me, I've acquiesced and applied the shears of shame. V is for Vendetta /Full Metal Jacket look.

Too many long haired communists, unshaved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Is widespread destitution your ultimate goal?

Hard to read that from his post. But if you plumb the depths of meaning, anything's possible.

Pretty sure he expects all to be equal under the law. Taking Covid payments, doing nixers and risking everyone's health during a national emergency should be jail time.

Advertisement