Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare for shift workers

Options
  • 25-03-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey guys, we had our first baby last month. I'm.already starting to think how we will manage childcare once I'm back to work later in year.
    We both work shifts (Nurse & Guard) so I'm presuming childminder is best option? Dont have family nearby. Any ideas of prices? Do childminders even do long days 13 hours? Will also have issues we both have to work nights.
    Going to need to find someone very flexible 🀔

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sarahzxe wrote: »
    Hey guys, we had our first baby last month. I'm.already starting to think how we will manage childcare once I'm back to work later in year.
    We both work shifts (Nurse & Guard) so I'm presuming childminder is best option? Dont have family nearby. Any ideas of prices? Do childminders even do long days 13 hours? Will also have issues we both have to work nights.
    Going to need to find someone very flexible 🀔
    That’s going to be a very tough one to organize, most that do it do it because it suits their own life.
    I’d say without one of you doing a 9-5 or family helping your going to struggle to get reliable help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Advertise for a minder for your specific requirements. You never know what suits someone else. Maybe ask your colleagues in both your and your partner's workplaces what they do?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Most people I know in your position, either one works nights and one works days, or someone drops hours to be home a couple of days, or they have a minder 2/3 days and family the rest.You won't both be working nights unless you have family help, basically.Most people end up looking at changing their job to suit.

13 hour days are not good for the child, most creches (if not all) won't do that and you would be quite lucky to find a minder who would.
    Put up in your ad what you need.It is likely a minder would give you more flexibility than a creche and may suit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I work shifts but my husband doesn't. Tbh it simply won't work if both of your hours are shift patterns. A 13 hour day is a heck of a long day for a minder and I would not want mine with one person for such a long period.
    You will struggle to get a minder who'll be flexible with a schedule like that. Can either of you adjust work patterns to a more regular set of hours? I think you really need one person with "normal" hours to make it work with kids. Otherwise it's going to be incredibly stressful for all of you.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sarahzxe wrote: »
    Going to need to find someone very flexible ��

You simply won't find anyone this flexible. Not even an Au Pair would be able to do what you are asking.

If you want childcare, every week one of you is going to have to be on day shifts so you can mind them in the evenings and nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Another post supporting moving jobs! I worked shift work for years and looked for another job when we wanted to start a family. It is unlikely you will get anyone to work those crazy hours. I know it is impossible for the guard to stop shiftwork but the nurse could possibly go part time. move to a day service or work with an agency to pick and choose shifts around the guard's shifts.

Advertisement