Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tradesman Affecting credit rating?

Options
  • 20-03-2020 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently had a tradesman do work on my house, except I had a number of issues with what he had done. Firstly he took a lot longer than expected, and left numerous items incomplete. I documented these items in a number of emails to them and also verbally advise them they were outstanding. It dragged on to such an extent that I gave them a timeline for completion and they never returned. Now they are demanding payment in full despite this, threatening me with affecting my credit rating and telling me I am making a ‘bad decision’.

This is despite them not completing the works and being paid 75% of the original costs for the works they have done. I feel there is a lot more than 25% of works that had to be addressed after they left the job.

Just looking for advise as to how to deal with this as it causing a lot of anxiety and is it possible that they would be able to affect my credit rating despite the above issues.

Would really appreciate if anyone had any advise on this. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Get your Solicitor involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

The only way they can effect your credit rating is if they sue you and win, either way you need legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Smurts

Stanford wrote: »
    The only way they can effect your credit rating is if they sue you and win, either way you need legal advice

Thanks for the advice! I’m hoping it doesn’t go down that route but I’m not sure what they mean by saying I’ve made a ‘bad decision’. They appear to be a reputable enough company. But worth getting advise on it like you say. Thanks again for your response

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

He can't put you on the ICB

http://www.icb.ie/credit_rating.php

Nor the central credit register.

https://www.centralcreditregister.ie/

He could get a judgement against you. He would have to take you to court and the judge rule in his favour. Then he could put the judgment in Stubs Gazette. But that would be a total waste of his time.

If anything it should be you taking the cowboy to court!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubbs%27_Gazette

Stanford wrote: »

But they cant put his name on either of the ICB or the CCR? They are only for financial institutions?

• Advertisement

Smurts wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently had a tradesman do work on my house, except I had a number of issues with what he had done. Firstly he took a lot longer than expected, and left numerous items incomplete. I documented these items in a number of emails to them and also verbally advise them they were outstanding. It dragged on to such an extent that I gave them a timeline for completion and they never returned. Now they are demanding payment in full despite this, threatening me with affecting my credit rating and telling me I am making a ‘bad decision’.

This is despite them not completing the works and being paid 75% of the original costs for the works they have done. I feel there is a lot more than 25% of works that had to be addressed after they left the job.

Just looking for advise as to how to deal with this as it causing a lot of anxiety and is it possible that they would be able to affect my credit rating despite the above issues.

Would really appreciate if anyone had any advise on this. Thanks!

Btw what are you going to do to get the job finished?

Take a load of photos of the unfinished work if you're going to get a new trademans in to finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Smurts

Btw what are you going to do to get the job finished?

Take a load of photos of the unfinished work if you're going to get a new trademans in to finish the job.

I will finish it myself with help from my family. What I should have done in the first place!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod]

As already stated by Stanford and others this is a matter for your own solicitor

Advertisement