Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding court appearance. I will plead guilty, should I still get a solicitor?

Options
  • 20-03-2020 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all.

I was caught speeding a number of months ago doing 85 km/h in an 80 km/h zone.

The fine arrived at my old address as I stupidly never registered my car at my new address nor did I change my details on my licence. I must've been caught by a stealthily hidden van or a Garda tripod. I never knew I was caught.

The date of the alleged offence is late December.

I remember that day in question and I was deliberately speeding as I was in a hurry. The fine arrived at my old address where I was temporarily renting.

I have been summoned to appear in Naas district court.

I will bring proof that I was in a different address and proof that I have since applied to Shannon for change of address and change of address with NDLS and I will bring my licence to take my punishment of the chin and accept points.

I won't bother with a solicitor as I am admitting liability. Am I ok not to have a solicotor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I will bring proof that I was in a different address and proof that I have since applied to Shannon for change of address and change of address with NDLS and I will bring my licence to take my punishment of the chin and accept points.

You've been summonsed for speeding, not for not paying the ticket. Bear that in mind when considering whether there's any value in swamping the judge with needless details about your life. Don't bother with those excuses, unless the judge asks you why you didn't pay the fine. If he doesn't ask, he's not interested.
    I won't bother with a solicitor as I am admitting liability. Am I ok not to have a solicotor?

Were you caught by a speed van or a Garda checkpoint? If it was a van then you're probably safe just showing up and pleading guilty. Because there won't be any other details presented as evidence. Like that there was a school or hospital nearby. That's the principal danger you need to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A speeding court appearing is enough to worry anyone I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

With solicitor. Fine X.

Without solicitor. Fine X plus 100 euro.

Judges dont like people who represent themselves.

Probably still cheaper to go sans solicitor in that case, no? If the OP is taking the points and pleading guilty surely they will not be frowned upon for not having a solicitor? Genuine questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Probably still cheaper to go sans solicitor in that case, no? If the OP is taking the points and pleading guilty surely they will not be frowned upon for not having a solicitor? Genuine questions.

Id go with a solicitor definitely.

Even thought he has all the paperwork and is pleading guilty a solicitor will know best how to approach the judge and get the info across.

Without a solicitor you usually get a higher fine.

So you end up paying the same anyway.

What you save in not hiring a solicitor is usually lost in a higher fine.

So for peace of mind you are probably best to go with one.

OP was detected in an 80 kph zone which means there was no houses or schools nearby. And he was only 5 kph over the limit. Unless the judge has a reputation for dishing out severe fines, I'd risk it as a solo exercise.

Yes, it does look better if you show up with a solicitor but there will be lots of people who don't show up at all. So the OP shouldn't expect to get hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

coylemj wrote: »
    OP was detected in an 80 kph zone which means there was no houses or schools nearby.

No it doesn't. Fingal County Council are massively reducing their speed limits. There will still be thousands of houses and at least one school with an 80 km/h speed limit on the road outside. Current situation is much worse.

You've been summonsed for speeding, not for not paying the ticket. Bear that in mind when considering whether there's any value in swamping the judge with needless details about your life. Don't bother with those excuses, unless the judge asks you why you didn't pay the fine. If he doesn't ask, he's not interested.

Completely wrong actually. You should turn up, when asked if you're pleading guilty say yes, and tell the Judge you would have paid the fine but the ticket went to an old address, which you accept is your own fault for not keeping your details current.

This will keep the fine.down.

You don't need a solicitor to deal with a straightforward speeding ticket. In fact it would be odd to use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

If you're appearing in Naas theres a certain notorious judge, not sure if I'm allowed name him so I'll err on the side of caution. He's a reputation for no nonsense & can be very abrupt. If you end up before him he hates when people represent themselves, answer any questions with minimal detail because unless asked the judge, especially this one doesn't want to hear it as stated by a previous poster. Best of luck OP, you'll be grand.

quote="Zagreb Ebnem Zloty Diev;112895095"]Hi all.

The fine arrived at my old address as I stupidly never registered my car at my new address nor did I change my details on my licence. I must've been caught by a stealthily hidden van or a Garda tripod. I never knew I was caught.

I remember that day in question and I was deliberately speeding as I was in a hurry. The fine arrived at my old address where I was temporarily renting.

I won't bother with a solicitor as I am admitting liability. Am I ok not to have a solicotor?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am assuming the summons was issued by the local Garda station?
    I would suggest you visit the Garda station and explain.
    Personally i think if you go there and pay the ticket that be end of it.
    If it is a Garda summons there need be a Garda present to prosecute same.
    This happened me some years ago and i paid the Garda on the morning
    of the court at the courthouse. I forgot to pay speeding ticket and only
    thought of the court the morning of the hearing.

I have no idea as to how automated summonses are dealt with.
    I was caught one time doing 98 MPH and forgot about the court,
    did not appear and not represented, was only fined £100.
    I would not like to be caught doing it now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

If a clean driving licence is important for your social life or occupation it may be a false economy to go to court without a solicitor who knows the local form,

s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭MFPM

Hi all.

You've no need of a solicitor given you're accepting liability. You'll be called by the judge, he/she will ask how you're pleading and may allow you to explain yourself. You'll get a fine on top of the original fine and a bit of a lecture from the judge about your speeding and not having your paper work in order but given your speed was only marginally over the limit they won't be too harsh on you. The only thing that will alter this is if you've previous driving convictions such as drink driving - the Guards mention these in the court.

nuac wrote: »
    If a clean driving licence is important for your social life or occupation it may be a false economy to go to court without a solicitor who knows the local form,

:confused: He's going to get points, with or without a solicitor. I thought the only thing we were discussing was the size of the fine.

:confused: He's going to get points, with or without a solicitor. I thought the only thing we were discussing was the size of the fine.

Personally getting points for being 5 km over limit is crazy.
    In some countries points only kick-in if a person is excessive over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Personally getting points for being 5 km over limit is crazy.
    In some countries points only kick-in if a person is excessive over.

its not, speeding is dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I thought the courts were closed

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    its not, speeding is dangerous

Do you bite?
    It depends on how competent the person in charge is.
    I would drive anywhere in the world but i would not cycle in Dublin.
    There are lots of factors but not suitable for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

The majority of Police Forces in Britain allow a tolerance of 10%+2mph over the limit before you’re penalised.

Advertisement