Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frustration of Contract

Options
  • 19-03-2020 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Very hazy on this concept but would the current crisis be a frustration of contract for thing like travel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The test is that there is a "supervening event" which occurs without the default of either party and for which the contract makes no sufficient provision, so I'd say yes it applies, but, remember the Supreme Court has previously held that the "circumstances alleged to occasion frustration should be strictly scrutinised and the doctrine is not to be lightly applied" as part of the 7 step test to be applied, I think all steps would be ticked off easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What's the upshot if a contract is considered frustrated? Money stays with whichever party has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What's the upshot if a contract is considered frustrated? Money stays with whichever party has it?

In several head line cases this was the outcome, however I would be wary of considering it fixed.

General rule of EU law is that the travel operator is in a much better position to assess risk and use their insurance to reimburse the passenger.

Advertisement