Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Sanitiser

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Arrived today at doorstep.

Do you know what country they came from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Darc19 wrote: »
    No no no no

Stop the fake sh1te from fakebook

60% is sufficient. Some medical ones are 85%, but that is at the high end.

heh?

metalated is 90%+

mix 500ml to 200ml (71%+)

maybe add some other stuff, still quite above 60% that is sufficient.

What are you on about with your fake stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

sKeith wrote: »
    heh?

metalated is 90%+

mix 500ml to 200ml (71%+)

maybe add some other stuff, still quite above 60% that is sufficient.

What are you on about with your fake stuff?

Apologies, I thought you were saying the sanitizer had to be 90%

Here's an easier way to make it

500ml Catalytic fragrance lamp liquid. It's 90% alcohol and has essential oils. Add 300ml aloe vera gel. Done.

Main brands are Lamp Berger and Ashleigh and Burwood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragrance_lamp

I could do with an update on this, need a bottle for piece of mind for a pregnant lady, and/or some anti-bac wipes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I could do with an update on this, need a bottle for piece of mind for a pregnant lady, and/or some anti-bac wipes

Handmade soap company is taking per orders for 100 ml bottles going on sale next week. You'll pay 7 or 8 euros for the sanitizer & 6 or 7 euros p&p. Expensive but it's 70 percent alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Beauty basket.ie still has it online. That’s where I bought from. As someone above pointed out, it’s probably overpriced for what it is (€10 for 200ml, €6 for 100), but I was happy enough to pay it to have a bottle on the go in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

maemae.ie has 4 50ml bottles for €15, expensive but supply, demand, cost of manufacturing is up.

beauty basket also has larger bottles still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I was over a full week waiting for a bottle of isopropyl alcohol from Radionics. Usually thats stuff they have sitting on the shelf. I have no interest in using it to make hand sanitisers but maybe someone wants to have a go

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/precision-cleaners-degreasers/2274427/

I was over a full week waiting for a bottle of isopropyl alcohol from Radionics. Usually thats stuff they have sitting on the shelf. I have no interest in using it to make hand sanitisers but maybe someone wants to have a go

Very handy to have for sanitising phones, iPads etc

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

lemmno wrote: »
    maemae.ie has 4 50ml bottles for €15, expensive but supply, demand, cost of manufacturing is up.

beauty basket also has larger bottles still available.

It's only 60%. Recommendations are over 60%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Deagol

Guys, Local hardware store has a big box of carbolic soap. That is the gold standard of hand sanitizing - at least it was 50 years ago :)
    But seriously, its €1.50 a bar and is death to any virus or bacteria etc... it's what surgeons used for nigh on 100 years!

Never mind this alcohol, that is actually less effective than soaps. Only thing you need to do is have some water with you or nearby to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

I made DIY 10 liters for family and friends.

Took me a week to get the ingredients from the UK.

Here is the instructional video I used: https://youtu.be/oMyWATwyu5Q

Following on from the video link...I used pharmaceutical grade isopropyl alcohol 99.9% and carbomer 940. It’s functions the same as 980 and only difference is how it’s produced. I distilled water myself using a fairly simple method however it took a while so I recommend ordering some from amazon...It’s cheap.

My full recipe list is:
    Isopropyl Alcohol 99.8%, distilled water, vegetable glycerin, carbomer 940, TEA to neutralize, and I needed cheapo ph test-sticks too. Going forward my only limiting ingredient is alcohol as I’ve a good supply of the less voluminous ingredients.

I also mixed a simple alcohol and water solution in a spray bottle for things like cards, purses and phones.

I aimed for an alcohol concentration of 70% after some research.

Side note: soap and water is best...this is just if you’re stuck. I did this for the challenge and it was fun. Don’t know what to do with myself now...

Edit: Compare this ingredient list with that of the hand sanitizer currently being sold by the handmadesoapcompany...identical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Deagol wrote: »
    Guys, Local hardware store has a big box of carbolic soap. That is the gold standard of hand sanitizing - at least it was 50 years ago :)
    But seriously, its €1.50 a bar and is death to any virus or bacteria etc... it's what surgeons used for nigh on 100 years!

Never mind this alcohol, that is actually less effective than soaps. Only thing you need to do is have some water with you or nearby to use it!

It’s not much use if you have no water on hand, after shopping etc.

Thanks for the help :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Two bottles of this stuff arrived today:
    LG-HS-50ml_1024x1024.png?v=1584631938

WE'RE SAVED!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Just checked the hand saniitiser I got in pre-pandemic times in LIDL. The alcohol is listed on the second position after aqua, so it must be below 50% alcohol content. Be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

voluntary wrote: »
    Just checked the hand saniitiser I got in pre-pandemic times in LIDL. The alcohol is listed on the second position after aqua, so it must be below 50% alcohol content. Be aware.
    That's a labeling rule for food packaging, are you sure it applies here as well?

Can’t speak for Lidl but an old Aldi bottle that I found at the bottom of my handbag is 73.5%.

60% is minimum according to WHO. So 59% isn’t effective but 60% will be is how I interpreted it, so those mae mae bottles should be ok if we can’t find stronger. Lots of local distilleries making their own now too, like Listoke gin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭ceegee

WE'RE SAVED!

Slight downside is the craving for Thai food since I started using it. Damn you lemongrass!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

What % alcohol is isopropyl or does it depend on where made? Mix with aloe Vera to wash hands after shops ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

seefin wrote: »
    What % alcohol is isopropyl or does it depend on where made? Mix with aloe Vera to wash hands after shops ?

Electronics stuff will normally be 99.9% pure so you need to dilute it otherwise your hands will be fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's a labeling rule for food packaging, are you sure it applies here as well?

It seems like the one Lidl sells in UK has high alcohol content, but the one sold in Ireland doesn't. Not sure if that's right.

Just googled images of UK version, has a 'highly flammable' marks on the back and says 73.5% alcohol

cien___1581150870_04843404_progressive.jpg

The one I have has nothing like that:
    7fXFDMD.jpg

bvw261k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Guys I deleted the home made hand santiser recipe as it's potentially dangerous. If anything was to happen, it could blow back on this site. Sorry.

I got next day delivery on this :-)

Nice stuff too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Needless to say if you do make some stuff it needs to be very clearly labeled, and stored out of low reach.

Over in Iran, hundreds of lads are now brown bread, after having a swig at Methanol, in search of a magic cure.
    Their high alchohol based paint-stripping solution must have been hugely misinterpreted (guess that happens under a regime, without free flow of information or booze),
    this happened after a British chap there, casually told someone in passing, that he took whisky and honey to relieve his symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Just saw this on Facebook - manufactured by a Galway company. 16euro incl delivery for a 500ml bottle

https://ghagri.com/index.php/product/gh-hand-and-surface-sanitiser/

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Mr E wrote: »
    Mod: Guys I deleted the home made hand santiser recipe as it's potentially dangerous. If anything was to happen, it could blow back on this site. Sorry.

That's fair enough, i understand why, was only offering a potential solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

WE'RE SAVED!

Could you tell me how long did it take to arrive and who was the courier?Ordered some last weekend to my Mums gaff but nothing yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

leex wrote: »
    Just saw this on Facebook - manufactured by a Galway company. 16euro incl delivery for a 500ml bottle

https://ghagri.com/index.php/product/gh-hand-and-surface-sanitiser/

Read small print. Not available until 7th April.

Advertisement