Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applying to the foreign birth register - Issues

Options
  • 16-03-2020 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi.
    Apologies, I am unsure if this is the correct place to post this.

I am looking to apply for an Irish passport by descent as my grandfather was born in Castlebar.

To register on the foreign births register I need to provide a number of documents for my grandfather, who passed away many years ago.

One of these documents is a birth certificate, however having tried to purchase one, it appears his birth was not registered. I have been told by the advisor dealing with the order, that this was not uncommon for the time as a lot of births were registered via the church by baptism. I have a baptism certificate but not a birth certificate.

This seems to be a stumbling block, however if it were not so uncommon, then there must be a work around. Does anybody know what steps I can take to overcome this and complete a FBR for myself? I have his baptism certificate, marriage certificate and death certificate (the latter two are from when he moved to England).

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: Hi there, no, Arts and Crafts is definitely not the right place. I'll try and move this to the Legal Discussion Forum, someone there might be able to point you in the right direction.

Please note that the Legal Discussion Forum Charter applies.

Advertisement