Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

section 68 letter

Options
  • 15-03-2020 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've never had legal representation before. I thought that you made one payment at the end as in after litigation outcome.

My question is can my solicitor cease to represent me if I don't pay his fee?

I've re-read the section 68 and it says they can charge interest on late payments and that they can bill fees at any time they see fit. It does not say they will cease to represent me for late payment.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

A good questions - I think if all solicitors charged the fee at the end and after the outcome is known then there would be a very big chance that those who lost would not pay. It would be like "you lost my case and you want to charge me 3K for that? Go fish". So I guess charging you at the start and then topping up more as they go along is the common practice.
    But no harm to ask him in point blank how much the entire case will cost. It's a small chance that they would tell you but I would defo want to know all the details and all possible case avenues with a price tag on every step before i sign a cheque for him.

Also, I noticed that every time i went to speak to some solicitor they asked me to sign an appointing doc. I did not pay at that stage anything but somehow they do it to start the client-solicitor proceedings. There is a legal term for that, but I dont know what that is. Don't pay anything if you know that you wont need their services.
    If, however, you paid the intro fee, signed the contract, paid the second installment, ect and then for months you delay the final payment then yes, they can try to apply some late fees. But they have to state what % and where it starts counting - they can't just say E100 extra for every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tomcam

I never received a section 68 letter from my former legal practitioners,we had an agreed figure in total in writing. The legal practitioners later later broke that agreement and increased thier fees. When i asked for a breakdown the legal practitioners simply stated ((you got an extra few Bob arent i entitled to an extra few Bob)). The legal practitioners refused to breakdown and itemize thier fees. So i requested they set thier fees down for taxation,the legal practitioners refused so the office of the Chief Legal costs adjudicator instructed me to set them down myself. In short after 3 hearings No section 68 information No Taxation items ever produced to this very day. The chief legal costs adjudicator overruled the total agreed figure between solicitor and client and increased that figure by nearly 250%. I made a complaint to the Solicitors disciplinary tribunal,The Lsra and the Law Society of Ireland and to this very day the legal practitioners has never been investigated for breaking the Law 1994 solicitors amendment act Section 68. All of this is on record,but still none of the regulators will explain to me how a legal practitioners can admit to breaking the law and legislation 1994 solicitors amendment act Section 68 and avoid an investigation. Has anyone else ever experienced this situation.

Advertisement