Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,812 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Finn Valley bar and restaurant in Stranorlar closed from 6 this evening. I would imagine that will probably cancel all athletics training and runs etc

Cheers bar and the U Drop Inn in Ballybofey now added to the list of closures

Millbrae Surgery in Stranorlar closed with immediate effect .... all appointments cancelled. Thats a massive shock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

McGinleys, the cottage and the Central are closed in LK.

According to the RTE news this evening all pubs and hotel bars around the entire country are to remain closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Saw McGuigan's in Stranorlar and Bonner's in Ballybofey are closing due to the virus.

Have you an more info on this? I see my GP, Millbrea is closing, and guess who is my pharmacy? Can't see anything on Bonner's facebook or website saying they are closing?

I have script needs renewing this week and an injection due. I've emailed the GP as their facebook is saying not to phone the surgery....

Thanks

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Saw McGuigan's in Stranorlar and Bonner's in Ballybofey are closing due to the virus.
    kathleen37 wrote: »
    Have you an more info on this?
    Info on the pubs closing? ;):D

Bonners pub he was referring to ... not the chemist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

muffler wrote: »
    Info on the pubs closing? ;):D

Oooooohhhhhh.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

muffler wrote: »
    Millbrae Surgery in Stranorlar closed with immediate effect .... all appointments cancelled. Thats a massive shock

God you would wonder at that Is this a doctors surgery

People will still want to see a doctor about other ailments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭volchitsa

lulu1 wrote: »

Is that because there's a need to deep clean because of a possible contact? I know there's been at least one confirmed case in Donegal, so maybe this was another case (the one I know of is not in Stranorlar) who went to their GP before the diagnosis was given?

I can't see any reason for closing a GP's surgery otherwise.

My wife read it on their Facebook page. I'll see if I can get it tomorrow and copy and paste here.

Basically they are saying that you cant come to the surgery without first talking to the doctor by phone. Only urgent cases will be seen and "urgent will be decided beforehand by a doctor" but anyone with potential Covid 19 symptoms will be tested by the national ambulance service. What makes it worse is that they are asking people not to ring except in an emergency. Prescriptions can be got by emailing them but I think same will then be sent to the patients choice of pharmacy - no collecting at the surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Silver Tassie, McGettigan's and Errigal hotels closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Firblog

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think its safe to say that they want to shut things down BEFORE St Patricks, to limit the crowds.

My guess is it'll be the same as the school shutdown. Everything at 6pm.

So when the shops, businesses etc close tomorrow, the only things allowed to re-open will be essential stuff like supermarkets, food shops, chemists.

A massive decision but one that has to be taken.

I think they'll have to let many other businesses stay open, Hardware shops, petrol stations, plumbing & heating supplies, Garden centres (people have to have stuff to do) Electrical supply places, Builders merchants, Butchers / bakers, physio therapists, just off the top of my head..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

didnt a walking festival go ahead last weekend ??? couldnt believe that when i saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

I had a doctor's appointment for next Thursday but the surgery rang to cancel it today, saying that that they weren't taking routine appointments. I explained that it wasn't 'routine' as I had never seen a GP about this matter before and that I had been advised by a consultant to see a GP ASAP about it. But, no joy! I was told to ring back next week. Sure I might as well get Covid 19 and maybe they'll sort both problems at once! :):):)

Just had a message from a friend telling me about people we both know who have been advised to self isolate, yet she has seen them in the shops in town

So is there any use in talking

I dont intend to leave the house and want to see no one coming to the door

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Glencar inn, Letterkenny open last night and had a great crowd in :rolleyes:

I heard that there were 3 cases in Buncrana all associate with travel to/from North Italy last week. It came from a reliable and connected source too.

No admission to Flatleys chemist in Stranorlar. They have a table of sorts acting as a counter set up just inside the front door and whether you're there to get a prescription or something off the shelf then you stay outside on the footpath and items/money exchanged at the door.

Had a table booked for Mother's Day at Harvey's Point. Was planning on cancelling but decided to wait and see if they cancel first. They did.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

JoannieG wrote: »
    I had a doctor's appointment for next Thursday but the surgery rang to cancel it today, saying that that they weren't taking routine appointments. I explained that it wasn't 'routine' as I had never seen a GP about this matter before and that I had been advised by a consultant to see a GP ASAP about it. But, no joy! I was told to ring back next week. Sure I might as well get Covid 19 and maybe they'll sort both problems at once! :):):)

Or maybe you'll get it and give it to others in the Gp surgery who give it to elderly and immunocompromised and result in them sicker and hospitialized. Maybe you get it from some other sick person at the GP surgery and end up on a ventilator struggling to breath. Maybe your actions of demanding to be seen results in one way in the death of somebody? Maybe you make a telephone call and get to talk to the GP or nursing staff as a telephone consult and let them decide how urgent they feel it is to be seen.

just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

I haven't 'demanded' to be seen. I have already been on a ventilator struggling to breathe. I am myself immunocompromised. I asked to talk directly to medical staff on the phone, but no one was available at that time and I'm still awaiting a call back. I had surgery 4 weeks ago today, the 5th in 6 months, and it was my consultant who advised me to see a GP ASAP. I rang for an appointment as soon as I came home from hospital and this was the earliest I could be seen. I am trying to prevent a worsening of my condition which will result in me having to go into hospital unless the issue is nipped in the bud very soon.

Just my 2 cents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well hello Donegal Forum .. Hi Muffler .. very long time no see. Nearly 8 years since my last post here. Hi new people:D

Well Donegal Town is shut, simple. All hotels & Bars are closed though I do note the absence of comment from Solis Lough Eske on their social media (you'd think there's nothing happening by their Facebook Page.) Every shop I can think of is closed, I'd imagine Timoney's (post office) will remain open in some form and the chemists. Aldi and Lidl are open but they really will need to do something about crowd control etc.

With all hotels & bars closed this basically means the town is deserted.

We'll see ye all in June or maybe July at the earliest. Stay Safe.

Think the only one I haven't seen a facebook post about around Letterkenny is Voodoo. Are they closed?
    Nearly tempted to have a wee drive down town to see if there are many about. But won't bother.
    Looking out the window I see how quiet it is around here.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Well hello Donegal Forum .. Hi Muffler .. very long time no see. Nearly 8 years since my last post here. Hi new people:D
    Well howdy stranger :)

Good to have you back posting here again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

McClafferty's in Gortahork was well set up today. - loads of hand sanitizer, wipes, hot water and soap at the entrance - and best of all, big stickers all over the floor of the whole shop at 2m intervals - really concentrated the mind!

And fully stocked with everything, no sign of panic at all.

I'm dreading going back to Dublin tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

5 new cases in the Nw today. Leo addressing the nation at 9.

5 new cases in the Nw today. Leo addressing the nation at 9.

Just watched Leo
    So hard to believe
    But this is real

Does anyone think we should be told what area the confirmed cases are in. I know it would make no difference

A lady posted about this on facebook last night and got terrible abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Calm before the storm before the surge.
    Really scary talk. Hopefully everyone takes heed now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does anyone think we should be told what area the confirmed cases are in. I know it would make no difference

A lady posted about this on facebook last night and got terrible abuse

There are only negative outcomes from doing that (panic).

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    There are only negative outcomes from doing that (panic).

Yeah you're probably right

Advertisement