Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes in the early days several young fit medics died. Presumably after exposure to massive doses of the virus from patients and no/little ppe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's very interesting. How long between infections? And both after vax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

The antigen test resistance by NPHET (I believe the term used was "snake oil") is strange especially given how easy they are to use. I've been doing them bi-weekly for the last 14 weeks as part of a UCC study. They also test a saliva sample in a lab to make sure the two results coincide. Obviously not a silver bullet but would certainly help as they said it detected a few positive cases so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Does anyone remember what the peak hospital and ICU numbers were?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Were they referring to specific antigen tests (the ones sold by Lidl at the time) possibly? I read a public health England report and it said out of about 100 tests evaluated, only a handful were suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,002 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She has first lot of Covid late January vaxxed in June and August now has Covid again

I got an antigen test yesterday at a doctor's office (I didn't even need it in the end, misread a texted picture of a family member's antigen test and I was passing, but handy I guess). I had it in September* and was double vaccinated. The doctor said you can still get it from a different strain

* I think. Got a test without needing one (family member sick and they didn't want to get one, I sneezed and panicked). Shockingly, it came back positive while the rest of my family who tested after came back negative. The HSE said I could get re-tested and it came back negative (test done three days after the positive test). False positives are extremely rare and false negatives aren't as rare so I still say I had it but my friends and family say I didn't as I wasn't sick and none of them got it. But anyway, long story for a short answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

You're quite right, it was the Lidl version he was talking about. Minister Donnelly called the comment "unhelpful" at the time afair. The tests are legit however -

"Made by Chinese company Boson, the Lidl test kit is one of 16 antigen tests that was approved for use by the EU Health Security Committee in February. It is already used across a number of EU member states."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

The Irish Gov't in its infinite wisdom has decided that closing down bars at midnight is sufficient to bring the accelerating infection rate under control. In Canada they simply close bars and related businesses. If you want to drink you can buy it all over the place and drink it at home without risking yourself or anybody else. This is not responsible behaviour by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement

The numbers I've read from the epidemiology reports show that the clusters are from workplaces, not bars. What they are doing is appeasing the puritans, the hand-wringers who think the govt has to do "something".

It wont make a spec of difference, except to slightly alter public perception. A warning shot if you will...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

They need to increase faster the booster uptake if the fully vaxxed are catching it

Let centres and pharmacies, chemists give out too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know the numbers in ICU in Cork hospitals?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm posting this link again, for the 3rd time. ;)

Every single day, there is a new report posted. It has the breakdown by hospital, by ICU and general admission.

From this, last night CUH has 44 Covid patients. Mercy has 13

CUH 12 ICU and Mercy 0 ICU.

The testing centres for Cork, all showing no appointments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Be right back

Got my booster in City hall today. Really busy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Brought the 2yr old to the Glanmire test center - hour long que, outside on a cold Friday evening. Test Center is a tent on the grounds of St. stephens hospital.

Horrible set up - having people, who could very well be sick, waiting outdoors for that length of time is shocking.

surely there is an indoor facility somewhere else in the county that could replace this joke of a set up.

That sounds far from ideal, all right.

People with cars are grand in drive in centers but people shouldn't be punished for attending on foot. People queuing outdoors in the winter isn't on, imo.

There's no drive in option at this centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The drive in place up in Blackpool is not much better tbh. Chaos up there when I was getting tested last week. Whoever's organising the ones in Cork must have no sense of order at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I have only been there once and looked like it was walk in only. Just a really poor set up and screams of they have a center in place. job done.

People can obviously wrap up in layers and bring umbrellas etc but that's of little use if you have a couple of kids hanging off you all bored of the situation.

My local center is blackpool, drive-thru, have been there a few times and couldn't fault it. Each time the whole process took about 15 mins which was well managed. Granted I haven't been there a 1-2 months so with the demand increase for more tests maybe things have gotten worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HSE start to pull resources out of test enters and back into hospitals. It would be such the Irish thing to do - demands for tests increase so lets pull back on the staffing.

I have been to this centre twice and was very impressed at the efficiency and my wife was there again last week and had no issues.

I think you were there over a particular weekend that was chaotic. I'm not sure that that weekend is representative of that centre, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

It looks like the testing system is a breaking point. No appointments available at the 5 Cork test centres. If want a test quickly they are probably best going private. I'm also not sure if putting vast resources into the testing system is going to do much to curb the spread of the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

With The positivity rate dropping it should be easier to get tested within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Looks like the super mutant Omicron is here. Ant cases in Cork yet?

The Glanmire test centre has been removed from the self refferal list and has been replaced by one in Youghal. The city now has three centres (Blackpool, Douglas and Airport) and the county has two (Dunmanway and Youghal). That is the second most for any county (including city) except Dublin (9). Galway and Louth both have three. Every other county has either one or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The test centre in Glanmire was a disgrace.

In comparison, the airport one is excellent and very fast, Mallow Rd one a bit slow but excellent too. Drive thro us the way to go.

Made no sense with potential Covid positives to queue closely going into a tent for a test in Glanmire.

Yes, I've been around, I've a few kids that have had colds etc or been close contacts, before new regime of antigen.

• Advertisement

Some new restrictions today, will be from December 7th until January 9th. Michael Martin said it won't be back to lockdown days and thanked and acknowledged people for getting vaccinated and making the 4th wave not too bad

• Nightclubs closed
    • 6 people per table in pubs and hotel bars/restaurants, must social distance with 1m between tables, masks when not sitting, table service, midnight close
    • 50% capacity for indoor sports, cultural and entertainment events. Masked and seated
    • COVID pass for gyms, leisure centres, hotel bars and hotel restaurants (surprised the last two were ever exempt)
    • Home visits should try to keep to three families plus the family who own the home (i.e. four families) but understand that you may need flexibility around this
    • Financial aid for hospitality extended

Not a good announcement for nightclubs but hopefully not death for the rest of the hospitality sector. For the rest of society, not a huge impact unless you are unvaccinated and go to the gym. It was quite a positive message, even if it was cautious about the future. But he acknowledged that in a few weeks we might find out that Omnicron isn't that bad and we can be relieved, but in the meantime just be cautious. Mentioned huge South African spikes in cases, but kept highlighting that we are one of the most vaccinated countries in Europe and the world

Advertisement