Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage rifle and VCRAI or not

• 29-02-2020 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in getting into vintage rifle shooting, I would like to shoot occasionally, maybe every month or two based on existing commitments and locations to shoot, Im already involved in shooting.
    I contacted VCRAI but have gotten no reply. The VCRAI was my first option and participate in competitions/shoots as they came up rather than join another club, does the VCRAI have a particular sway over this or am I just as able to bypass them as Ive not heard back from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

You don't need any associations go-ahead to get into the sport of shooting. You join a club with Centrefire facilities like the midlands, buy a rifle of your choice and apply to the gardai for the licence. Nothing to do with the vcrai. Though they do organise shoots for older rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

tudderone wrote: »
    You don't need any associations go-ahead to get into the sport of shooting. You join a club with Centrefire facilities like the midlands, buy a rifle of your choice and apply to the gardai for the licence. Nothing to do with the vcrai. Though they do organise shoots for older rifles.

Thanks for the reply, I thought it might be easier attending shoots being connected to them rather than joining a second club as Im already in a club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When you all say club, do you mean range? Or do you mean association?

Associations may use a range, but few, if any, actually own or operate a range. The VCRAI have no range, they are an association. I don't know if they use a range but some ranges like Midlands and An Roicht already host vintage and classic rifle shoots. Most of these are open shoots meaning no need for membership to the range, just attend the shoot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Is VCRAI still even a thing?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

The VCRAI haven't held a open shoot for a very long time and I am unsure if they still are in existence.
    An Roicht in Kerry hold regular vintage, classic service rifle competitions in issued class and open class. The next one is on the 19th of April. All you need is your insurance, if you don't have a rifle you can contact Pat O Mahony and get a loan of one.
    The Midlands also hold a 303 or Mauser class competition from time to time.
    Harbor house hosts a bench rest classic at 100m through out the year too.
    Hopes this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Brasros wrote: »
    The VCRAI haven't held a open shoot for a very long time and I am unsure if they still are in existence.

That's a shame, they seemed like a sound bunch.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Is VCRAI still even a thing?

I thought they were NOT on the go myself, and I couldn't access their website when I checked back last year, then I made contact with someone on FB, I thought they were the FB for VCRAI, but it seems not from what I was told on boards. I think that FB closed down or was inaccessible but checking just now is now back up and running with a similar name and seems to be involved in that type of target shooting from the pictures. Anyway, I had gotten in touch with someone through Boards, noticed the VCRAI website was up and running again, attempted contact using the details on their webpage and got no reply since. I did attend a shoot with them years ago in Midlands.

It does look like there are other options, I'd considered joining somewhere like An Roicht, even though it's the other side of the country, but it appears from what CASS says that I wouldn't need to join a club, as I'm already in one for target shooting (in .22LR).

Brasros wrote: »
    An Roicht in Kerry hold regular vintage, classic service rifle competitions in issued class and open class. The next one is on the 19th of April. All you need is your insurance, if you don't have a rifle you can contact Pat O Mahony and get a loan of one.
    The Midlands also hold a 303 or Mauser class competition from time to time.
    Harbor house hosts a bench rest classic at 100m through out the year too.
    Hopes this helps

That date is good to know, I'll have to see if I can attend, looking at my work schedule, I'll need to try book off annual leave, and head down the day before, I have insurance already, I'm interested in a K31 or maybe a Swedish Mauser, don't know a whole heap about them other than that I fired a Swedish Mauser in the Midlands with the VCRAI years ago.

1874 wrote: »

That date is good to know, I'll have to see if I can attend, looking at my work schedule, I'll need to try book off annual leave, and head down the day before, I have insurance already, I'm interested in a K31 or maybe a Swedish Mauser, don't know a whole heap about them other than that I fired a Swedish Mauser in the Midlands with the VCRAI years ago.

I was interested in a k31 too, but the 7.5mm ammo is not easily available here. The .303 and the 6.5 swedish mauser are the most popular of the old battle rifles here.

tudderone wrote: »
    I was interested in a k31 too, but the 7.5mm ammo is not easily available here. The .303 and the 6.5 swedish mauser are the most popular of the old battle rifles here.

Damn, I thought it was available, if not just more difficult to obtain. I really like the look of the rifle overall and the mechanism looks interesting, the origin makes me think it would have a quality to them that would be still reliable and accurate. Availability of ammunition is a big thing and availability of spares.

1874 wrote: »
    Damn, I thought it was available, if not just more difficult to obtain. I really like the look of the rifle overall and the mechanism looks interesting, the origin makes me think it would have a quality to them that would be still reliable and accurate. Availability of ammunition is a big thing and availability of spares.

The k31 is an excellent rifle, and you maybe able to buy ammo somewhere, but if the one or two places that sell ammo for it, stop selling it, your rifle becomes a wallhanger. Or you may find a dealer that will get it in for you, if you buy a minimum amount and pay for everything up front. The 6.5x55 swede, was really popular here, you could get ammo anywhere for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement