Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Law Issue - order for smoke-free home

Options
  • 23-02-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My ex and I share custody of our children. As part of our court ordered agreement, children are supposed to be in a home that is smoke free 24/7. Ex was a heavy smoker of cigarettes and weed (reason we broke up) so ensured this was put in. He is also not supposed to smoke weed but am pretty sure he is doing so.

Children who are very young routinely come back reeking of smoke. I gave raised this with his several times over past six months. As is the norm he denies or ignores altogether.

Today boys came back smelling of smoke but also lynx or some other overpowering spray. It was like as if he sprayed them before coming home!!

Technically he is in breach of court order as he is not operating a smoke free home but is there anything I can do here? I don't see why children should suffer because he is too selfish to change his ways. I just want kids to be in s smoke free home and not come home reeking. Am I wasting my time pursuing this legally?

Am very upset for my kids!!

Any legal advice appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

How would you be wasting your time if it states that what he is doing is illegal :S

Talk to your solicitor and let them know you know he is in breach of the court order rules. Go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

If he's a very heavy smoker, it could be that the whole house and all his clothes reek of stale smoke. It could be that he isn't actually smoking around them while they're there, but they pick up the smell because it's so ingrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

seagull wrote: »
    If he's a very heavy smoker, it could be that the whole house and all his clothes reek of stale smoke. It could be that he isn't actually smoking around them while they're there, but they pick up the smell because it's so ingrained.

Even if he's smoking when the kids aren't there, he's still in breach of the court order, which states a smoke free home.

Advertisement