Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Good accumulations now at Knock Airport
    0328 (4).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I have a few photos of big grimy puddles if anyone wants to see them?

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AllForIt wrote: »
    How does the radar *know* it's snow rather than some other form of precipitation? Technical question.

Nice article here from Brendan McWilliams from 1997

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hail-rain-or-snow-all-same-to-radar-1.75261

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

There ye go!!

Where roughly is this, if you dont mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

As Rougies said earlier, it is real knife edge stuff. Has got a lot more sleety here the last while. It was sticking on the paths earlier but they are a slobbery mess now. Grass is still white but it is real wet stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Moderate rain here, wind has picked up a bit, not even a hint of schleet :)
    5 miles south of Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Where roughly is this, if you dont mind ?
    Car park in Davitt House, Castlebar . Easing a bit now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Interesting in theory, but that technology is definitely not in use in Ireland, or anywhere in the world as far as I know.

Quite windy now here in Kerry, still southerly , veering SSW'ly.

A whopping 11.2C now

temp_uk_ftw1.png

vent_uk_pcu1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Do yeh have smart phones in the west? We needs pix :pac:

No, what's that ? Only got an ol' camera:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Meh, sleety rain in Letterkenny, might turn to slushy snow later but definitely not the all snow setup the models were predicting

Think I'll hit the hay

Edit: Had one last look out the window and sleet has suddenly changed to heavy (but very wet) snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Neatly explained. Interesting to read that rain drops are more 'burger shaped' as they fall, rather than the more accepted teardrop shape.

Update: Snow has turned to rain in Castlebar, disappointingly. What had accumulated on ground which wasn't much anyway is almost gone. Accumulations melting on rooftops.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Back to pure rain here, too. Temp. rising again from lowest 0.6ºC to 1,1º now, recorded at 2m above ground. Wind increasing and 'snow' melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Got about 2 inches snow so far seems to be accumulating fairly quickly, it was very wet stuff earlier now dryer, a mixture of large and powder type flakes all blowing around in a stiff breeze. (S.E. Sligo on high ground)

Bucketing down in Letterkenny for the past hour, was struggling to stick to roads and concrete at first but seems to be getting there now, cars and grass have a healthy covering already

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Back to the familiar sound of heavy rain rattling off the roof in this part of Mayo. Could have been a lot more interesting if there was more cold air about for this precipitation to run into but as ever that is the challenge of chasing some Irish snow. Will just have to savour those fleeting moments of snowfall like we got here earlier.
    Unfortunately this rain is not good for the flooding issues that are threatening some parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

That’s some rain out there in Celbridge currently. There really has been no let up in recent weeks.
    I’d feel for the midlands and west...This is not going to end well in a week or two if things don’t change.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Up in the night .... not ventured past the door... All black out there so no snow. Ah well! Wild wind song now after a quiet while..

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Well its back to rain now all my beautiful snow turning to slop!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rain drumming loud and long. Checked earlier at the door and the drive was dark and drab as always.

Ah well!

Yawn...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wow, plenty of snow here in SW Donegal.
    Most I have seen at my location since March 2013 if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

It's thawing now here in North Mayo, thanks to some persistent drizzle and a little rise in temperature. My drive home was... interesting to say the least!!

Just woke up in Letterkenny and it's a winter wonderland out there, deep snow and still coming down heavy

Safe to say I won't be getting in to work so going to try and catch an extra hour of sleep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Kutebride

You weren't overly optimistic Dongegal Storm. Waiting for photos from family who drove overnight to wake up in your county this morning.
    Lashing rain Meath ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Another deluge in East Clare last night 23mm.129mm since last Friday week. Animals starting to assemble in pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I snuck a peek at 2am here in Sligo and there was a delightful crisp covering of snow, looked to be around two inches deep. Raging that I didn't take a pic as it's mostly thawed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

A whopping 10c this morning and drizzle in Naas this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No lying snow is being reported at Knock this morning so it all melted pretty quickly.

The NI stations fared a little better. They report hourly snow-depths (automated). Thomastown (75 m) and Castlederg (51 m) had a few hours of snowfall, when depths reached 3 cm, but it's been back to rain for a while now. However, it's snowing hard at Lough Fea (225 m), with depth rocketing up to 14 cm in the past 4 hours. There's no report for 6 am.

Hour........Depth......WBT (°C)
    0200........2 cm........-0.1
    0300........7 cm........-0.2
    0400........11 cm......-0.3
    0500........14 cm......-0.2

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

20200224_071236.jpg.815a29c582e0ed415216413025ce2d52.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snowed in Sligo Town last night but melted again all while I was asleep. Just lumps of sneachta on cars now and on borders of paths and the like.

Advertisement