Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

unkel wrote: »
    But there are more reasons for someone to put up solar PV than just money. We all need to pull our weight when it comes to climate action.

I agree that we all need to pull our weight. Cavity/attic has no insulation, ext doors need replacing in order to reduce heat loss. Windows need serious repairs. Replacing open fire and inefficient oil boiler. I think I am pulling my weight but I don’t have a bottomless pit of money. I’m trying to reduce the energy consumption of the house with the little I have, hence asking about the smaller system.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Most of the other jobs you need doing have a better return for your money. I guess solar PV will go down your priority list. Best of luck with your improvements!

That’s the point I was making, if I could put in pv I would be delighted, it’s just at the end of an expensive list of priorities. I doing my upmost to improve the energy saving performance of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Hi I'm looking for some advice regarding solarpv. I am hopefully buying a Nissan Leaf 2017 model with 30 kilowatt battery in the near future. We already have solar panels up the thermal tube version which heats up hot water directly. I have existing with space free to put up panels but in east west orientation roof may not benefit solar gain from October to February as previously outlined. I'm getting the zappi home charger which is solarpv ready and allows for an electric shower in spare room. What would would you recommend a certain solar PV system ideally with batteries or just use the electric car to the vent the extra power into during the day? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭garo

@worlds goodest teecher: If money is the issue go for a 3kW system without a battery. You should get quotes in the region of 6k before grant for that size system and 4200 after. You'll have to haggle and get several quotes but I assume that would fit the budget. Then get into the habit of putting the dishwasher/laundry/dryer on a timer duto come on staggered during the day.

Also do you have a slate or tiled roof and E/W or S facing. With an E/W system during the summer half your panels would be producing well into the evening. So for a 3kW system you would be getting > 1kW output at 7pm from May-Aug.

• Advertisement

That’s the point I was making, if I could put in pv I would be delighted, it’s just at the end of an expensive list of priorities. I doing my upmost to improve the energy saving performance of the house.

I would say attic then boiler are probably your most cost-effective (and best for environment) changes. Windows and doors can be expensive as is cavity insulation. SEAI has grants for most of these improvements - but SEAI registered installers usually charge more as a result. So price up both SEAI and non-SEAI installers.

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for some advice regarding solarpv. I am hopefully buying a Nissan Leaf 2017 model with 30 kilowatt battery in the near future. We already have solar panels up the thermal tube version which heats up hot water directly. I have existing with space free to put up panels but in east west orientation roof may not benefit solar gain from October to February as previously outlined. I'm getting the zappi home charger which is solarpv ready and allows for an electric shower in spare room. What would would you recommend a certain solar PV system ideally with batteries or just use the electric car to the vent the extra power into during the day? Thanks in advance

What's your objective? Fast payback, save the environment or self-sufficiency. With a Zappi/EV you could get by without a battery as long as your car will be home during the day. And how much space do you have on the roof? E/W is not bad for 8 months of the year.

garo wrote: »
    @worlds goodest teecher: If money is the issue go for a 3kW system without a battery. You should get quotes in the region of 6k before grant for that size system and 4200 after. You'll have to haggle and get several quotes but I assume that would fit the budget. Then get into the habit of putting the dishwasher/laundry/dryer on a timer duto come on staggered during the day.

Also do you have a slate or tiled roof and E/W or S facing. With an E/W system during the summer half your panels would be producing well into the evening. So for a 3kW system you would be getting > 1kW output at 7pm from May-Aug.

4.34kW. Degrees from south 60, tiled. €10,000 plus vat. Good value?

With or without battery and diverter. With VAT don't think that good value unless you are getting a 5kWh battery and diverter. And still your payback would be long.

4.34 kWp. Solax X1 Hybrid 3.7 inverter. Peimer 310w panels - 14, solax hv 4.5kWh battery €9800 plus vat.

• Advertisement

If VAT is 13.5% on this, it might not be such a bad deal. After full grant you will be out of pocket by 8123.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The money per kWp is calculated only to the whole kWp isn't it? So a 3.5kWp system with battery would only net 2700 rather than say 2850.

That's correct isn't it?

Didn’t ask that question to be honest! Don’t know.

If VAT is 13.5% on this, it might not be such a bad deal. After full grant you will be out of pocket by 8123.

Yeah 13.5%. €8123 after grant is what I’m figuring as well. Optional extra iBoost unit €450. What is an iBoost unit?

Estimated payback time 7.9 years.

Could I expect get better by seeking other prices? Looking at applying for this along with attic and cavity insulation for an extra €300.

4.34 kWp. Solax X1 Hybrid 3.7 inverter. Peimer 310w panels - 14, solax hv 4.5kWh battery €9800 plus vat.

Roughly what percentage of an average 3 bed bungalow's electricity consumption could this system cover?

Note, this is a house we just bought. In our previous accommodation we were paying max €65/month on average on electricity.

Average consumption would be around 3500 kWh assuming you have gas heating and hot water and cooker. No way you get a payback time of 7.9 years. Whoever told you that is lying. You would generate about 4000kWh with that system so if you used all of it you would save 640 based on a unit price of 16c. And of course you won't consume all of it. I'd say your payback would be 16 years.

Solar PV does not count as one of your three grants. Si you won't get 300 on the back of that. You should certainly look around for better prices. Get at least three quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

What's your objective? Fast payback, save the environment or self-sufficiency. With a Zappi/EV you could get by without a battery as long as your car will be home during the day. And how much space do you have on the roof? E/W is not bad for 8 months of the year.
    Bit of both self sufficiency and environmental reasons.
    Good sized space for e/ w facing panels on garage and existing house . How many panels do u recommend I get quotes for given6 person home with one ev charging currently? Thanks

Average consumption would be around 3500 kWh assuming you have gas heating and hot water and cooker. No way you get a payback time of 7.9 years. Whoever told you that is lying. You would generate about 4000kWh with that system so if you used all of it you would save 640 based on a unit price of 16c. And of course you won't consume all of it. I'd say your payback would be 16 years.

Solar PV does not count as one of your three grants. Si you won't get 300 on the back of that. You should certainly look around for better prices. Get at least three quotes.

Just an after thought here. I have to replace the fireplace which is going to cost around €3000 for a pellet stove and remedial works. If i were to shell out this level of money on the 14 panel pv system incl battery, would it be more beneficial for me to replace with an electric fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Just to highlight in the grants system as well, as I note a few posters here are looking to do other non pv upgrades as well. We had 3 non pv upgrades on our house also, so qualified for the additional 300 seai grant, but in addition, at the time we were with electric Ireland, and they also gave you a fairly good credit off your electricity bill for each item you had done in the house.

It did not need to be done by them, you chose your own contractor and EI had nothing to do with the process , and you pay the contractor yourself. The only stipulation was they had to be on an EI register, which lots of the were anyway

If I recall correctly, we got nearly 400 euro worth of credit from EI when we got our attic insulated and walls pumped. Figures might be off a bit,.bit for anyone looking at doing this kind of stuff, well worth investigating.

Just to highlight in the grants system as well, as I note a few posters here are looking to do other non pv upgrades as well. We had 3 non pv upgrades on our house also, so qualified for the additional 300 seai grant, but in addition, at the time we were with electric Ireland, and they also gave you a fairly good credit off your electricity bill for each item you had done in the house.

It did not need to be done by them, you chose your own contractor and EI had nothing to do with the process , and you pay the contractor yourself. The only stipulation was they had to be on an EI register, which lots of the were anyway

If I recall correctly, we got nearly 400 euro worth of credit from EI when we got our attic insulated and walls pumped. Figures might be off a bit,.bit for anyone looking at doing this kind of stuff, well worth investigating.

Just entered a contract with Iberdrola but thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 newrossman

Hi
    Got quotes for 5.1kw with 2 diverts to storage heaters and hot water. 18 panels.
    Because not alot of installs was will to add 5kw battery after 3 more installs referred from me!
    House south facing no issue with shadow a great show house
    Issue I came across was after ringing local CC regards planning. The planner said was illegal but unless objections they give a blind eye. But if I wanted to sell am I screwed?
    Quote was 12k inc grant. Also note no grant if Ber after install is below C. Im D2 at moment but heat is electric.
    So do I have issue selling down the line?
    Yes law is being changed but doubt will be open ended in Panel no.

• Advertisement

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Bit of both self sufficiency and environmental reasons.
    Good sized space for e/ w facing panels on garage and existing house . How many panels do u recommend I get quotes for given6 person home with one ev charging currently? Thanks

Get as many panels as you can afford. If you have an EV during the day, no reason not to get 10+10 = 20 panels. If you cannot afford that get what you can. Don't bother with either battery or diverter. Note you will be exporting more without a battery but your EV should soak up most of the excess. When it's at home.

Just an after thought here. I have to replace the fireplace which is going to cost around €3000 for a pellet stove and remedial works. If i were to shell out this level of money on the 14 panel pv system incl battery, would it be more beneficial for me to replace with an electric fire?

I don't think an electric fire is the most efficient way to heat up a room. You'll find more information on other forums on boards. My guess - and just a guess - would be to just close up the fireplace altogether.

I don't think an electric fire is the most efficient way to heat up a room. You'll find more information on other forums on boards. My guess - and just a guess - would be to just close up the fireplace altogether.

Going with 8kW pellet stove

Pellet stove

Yeah pellet stove would be fine. You really won't get that much output in the winter that you could justify an electric fire. Think about when you need that fire. Usually when it is cold and dark outside. Not the best time for solar PV.

Yeah pellet stove would be fine. You really won't get that much output in the winter that you could justify an electric fire. Think about when you need that fire. Usually when it is cold and dark outside. Not the best time for solar PV.

Its looking more and more like PV is the very last thing on a very long list of upgrade items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

unkel wrote: »
    Financially, very little. It will cover the base load of your house during a lot of daylight hours during most but not all months of the year. On a south facing system in a reasonably good area of Ireland you can expect a yearly production of 2000kWh, and if you use a third of that, it will shave about €135 off your yearly electricity bill. More if we are getting a feed in tariff, possibly another €65 per year. But there are more reasons for someone to put up solar PV than just money. We all need to pull our weight when it comes to climate action. And even from a financial point of view, the return on this system is far better than what you get on a savings account. And far less risk than the stock market. And electricity prices are likely going up over the next few years, which would make the payback time of this system shorter.

New houses have to comply with the building regs, part of which is energy consumption. Putting up a few solar PV panels is the cheapest way to make new houses comply.

I agree in general but in relation to Solar I don't think it's possible to run a cost efficient system based on the technology available so far. To produce the panels you need to produce green house gases anyway and that's not taking into account the heavy metals like cadmium leaching out of the panels into your soil and the disposal after 20-25 years. I don't think solar on a small scale level is going to be cost effective or green to be honest.

Incorrect. Those studies showing PV as not green are years out of date. Panel efficiency has improved significantly since then and a 2019 study shows that panels pay for themselves in terms of total emissions after 1-2 years. As regards leeching of cadmium do you have any references? Haven’t seen any studies on installed panels leeching material.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PV or not PV

Looks like going without a battery makes sense. Hopefully the grid can become a pseudo battery with some credit/FIT. I have a excel sheet comparing systems with potential generation against my 2019 consumption trend. I cant post, in summary it estimates a 4 Kw system could shave €400 off an annual bill of €800 with a payback period of 16years. Does this sound correct? Almost all my usage is during the day. Hot water is beneficial to me, as I do save on power to my washing machine and dishwasher by having hot water plumbed in and available. This means I do have to light my range every second day or so in summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And panels are not disposed after 20-25 years. Panels last for many decades. Performance goes down over time, but only very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

Going with 8kW pellet stove

An air to air heat pump (for approx €2000) might be worth investigating too. Plenty of posts on here about them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement