Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry to UK without NCT (due to lifts fiasco)

• 17-02-2020 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I'm planning to bring my car to the UK this weekend with Stenna line. I brought my car in for the NCT last week but because of the whole lifts thing they were unable to do the full test and need to bring it in again for the under-body part. on top of this I'm just after buying the car so when I changed over my insurance (Kennco) said they would send the disc out when I produce the NCT cert (I'm insured on the car just no disc).

I'm not as much concerned about the insurance but has anyone had any experience driving a car in the UK without NCT ? The test is expired since 12th Jan . Is there a chance it could get seized ?

Thanks

BS
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,967 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you have proof of booking the ferry, you might get preferential treatment in the NCT centre. Definitely worth trying this, IMO.

You might get more informed replies in the Motors forum.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Esel wrote: »
    If you have proof of booking the ferry, you might get preferential treatment in the NCT centre. Definitely worth trying this, IMO.

OP is not trying to skip the queue, he's had the test but can't get an NCT cert because of the defects in the lifts in the NCT centre. Every NCT these days is a fail because of it. The retests will be free but you cannot get a pass cert from them.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP is not trying to skip the queue, he's had the test but can't get an NCT cert because of the defects in the lifts in the NCT centre. Every NCT these days is a fail because of it. The retests will be free but you cannot get a pass cert from them.
    You do know that some test centres have working lift(s)?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brsc2909

You do know that some test centres have working lift(s)?

Yes but there is no slots available until the 29th, I'm traveling this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You have done what you can in Ireland , (and ARE legal)
    So you'll be legal over as well ... ( They don't even have paper discs in UK anymore )
    So don't worry ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

brsc2909 wrote: »
    Yes but there is no slots available for until the 29th, I'm traveling this weekend
    Still worth your while trying them. They are giving priority to taxis and people with a driving test booked. They may well take you given the circumstances.

Not your ornery onager

Still worth your while trying them. They are giving priority to taxis and people with a driving test booked. They may well take you given the circumstances.

I'll Give them a call and see what they can do,

I remember before you could book you test for some date and then just bring it to them before that and if they had some free time on that day they would slot you in. Is this still the case or have they gotten more strict about times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Did KENNCO send on any policy documents (schedule, insurance certificate, etc..) or is all that waiting on you to be able to complete the underbody inspection part of your NCT and send a copy on to them?

Do you have any official documentation at the moment to prove the car is insured if you had to?

I've read a post somewhere in the main NCT thread of a car being given a priority appointment at one of the NCT centres with a working lift because they were travelling abroad soon. If you have proof of travel try contacting your nearest NCT centre with a working lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

brsc2909 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm planning to bring my car to the UK this weekend with Stenna line. I brought my car in for the NCT last week but because of the whole lifts thing they were unable to do the full test and need to bring it in again for the under-body part. on top of this I'm just after buying the car so when I changed over my insurance (Kennco) said they would send the disc out when I produce the NCT cert (I'm insured on the car just no disc).

I'm not as much concerned about the insurance but has anyone had any experience driving a car in the UK without NCT ? The test is expired since 12th Jan . Is there a chance it could get seized ?

Thanks

BS

Do you have the original insurance certificate? It’s required when travelling abroad. You almost certainly won’t get stopped or asked for it but if you are and you cannot produce it on the spot you would likely have the car impounded on the spot. U.K. police are highly unlikely to care about the NCT (they don’t generally pull for MOT unless there is also a tax/insurance issue) but they will very much care about insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Marcusm wrote: »
    Do you have the original insurance certificate? It’s required when travelling abroad. You almost certainly won’t get stopped or asked for it but if you are and you cannot produce it on the spot you would likely have the car impounded on the spot. U.K. police are highly unlikely to care about the NCT (they don’t generally pull for MOT unless there is also a tax/insurance issue) but they will very much care about insurance.

i would be slow to take my car to the UK without having the documents with me. They can't check Irish databases and , as said, can impound a vehicle. It won't cut any ice with them explaining the NCT problems. (Oh and they do care about the MoT, very much so)

• Advertisement

Yeah I have the Original Insurance cert and documents (btw my insurance also covers me to drive other cars ). I don't really have anything much to prove I have insurance on the new car except for the receipt they emailed when i payed the extra cost of changing over and then a followup email from them requesting a copy of the NCT cert. they called me and asked did i get the NCT and I explained to them the craic with the lifts and they understood but still no cert. my insurance is also due for renewal end of next month and i received an email asking if i wanted to renew insurance on this car, don't think that would work as proof though.

I rang the NCT today and everywhere with a lift is fully booked up, i'll ring back tomorrow again to see if there's any cancellations.

BS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Do you have the Vehicle Registration Certificate for the new car?

In most insurance policies driving other cars does not include other cars owned by the policy holder and may include a condition that the vehicle is otherwise insured.

At the moment it seems you don't have an original insurance certificate showing you are insured to drive the car and you don't have a valid NCT certificate for the car. You have something that indicates you are somewhere in the process of getting the car tested and insured.

If you don't do anything to draw attention to the car you probably won't end up in a situation where you are asked to produce documentation.
    On the other hand if you are asked to produce documentation for any reason there is a real risk you could find your car impounded. The UK police are not as flexible about the rules as our own gardaí.

Trying to explain the situation would only be admitting that you only have a half completed test and your insurance certificate for the car has not been issued yet. Not a position I'd want to be in.

If you haven't already bought the ferry ticket and the journey can wait I'd postpone it until you have all the vehicle documentation fully in order.

Update:
    I've managed to get my insurance company to sent me my policy schedule and proof of insurance, still holding onto disc until I get NCT cert. I've already booked the ferry and hotels etc. With my insurance documents, NCT "fail" sheet which explains that the lift inspection wasn't done, I think it's an acceptable risk to go ahead with the trip.

BS

Advertisement