Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Road Opening License & Dishing of Curb Fingal CC

  • 13-02-2020 12:30pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4 Drifter231


    Hi Guys ,

    currently have planning permission approval for a driveway opening at the front of my house , i now need to apply for a road opening license and to dish the curb, every contractor i have spoken with so far has no interest in the job down to insurance reasons or so they say .... can anyone recommend someone who specializes in this area at an affordable price ?

    any help would be greatly appreciated ....

    thanks
    Brian
    North Dublin


Comments

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo


    Drifter231 wrote: »
    Hi Guys ,

    currently have planning permission approval for a driveway opening at the front of my house , i now need to apply for a road opening license and to dish the curb, every contractor i have spoken with so far has no interest in the job down to insurance reasons or so they say .... can anyone recommend someone who specializes in this area at an affordable price ?

    any help would be greatly appreciated ....

    thanks
    Brian
    North Dublin

    No contractor will do this.
    You have to lodge a bond. You as the home owner. Could be 5k.

    Contractor needs a massive PI policy way above the normal as it’s working on a public path.

    Work gets done. You pay contractor.
    Then you get your bind back 12 months later.

    Every single footpath dishing I’ve had done is by the council themselves. It’s usually a multiple times cheaper. For example, in Dublin City, it cost €556.

    I assume you have permission for the vehicular entrance on your boundary. You get this works done and the garden done first. Then get the dishing to match the opening.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Drifter231


    kceire wrote: »
    No contractor will do this.
    You have to lodge a bond. You as the home owner. Could be 5k.

    Contractor needs a massive PI policy way above the normal as it’s working on a public path.

    Work gets done. You pay contractor.
    Then you get your bind back 12 months later.

    Every single footpath dishing I’ve had done is by the council themselves. It’s usually a multiple times cheaper. For example, in Dublin City, it cost €556.

    I assume you have permission for the vehicular entrance on your boundary. You get this works done and the garden done first. Then get the dishing to match the opening.


    Hi , kceire ,

    planning has been approved for vehicular entrance , its everything outside the boundary wall that is causing problems . when i spoke with fingal CC they said that they no longer dish curbs and its up to the homeowner . They did recommend one guy who does there work for them and i am waiting for him to quote but have been told the whole procedure takes months which indicates it could be expensive ... At this stage i am stuck and unsure what to do . i have spoken with one fella and he has said he will do it with a road traffic management system in place and not go down the route of applying for the road opening license ... not that i am thinking of it ..but lets say a fella did decide to go down the route of carrying out the work without a license , will it come back to haunt ya ?

    Any advice / recommendations would be greatly appreciated ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ Penguino


    Hey,

    Did you get any joy in finding a contractor to do the work?

    Am hoping to get a path dished in Fingal myself.

    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ shianto


    Penguino wrote: »
    Hey,

    Did you get any joy in finding a contractor to do the work?

    Am hoping to get a path dished in Fingal myself.

    Thanks

    Did you get any luck either?

    I tried to follow the process but the Fingal CoCo website directs you to RMO.ie where you need to apply for a license yourself. As best I can tell, the smart thing to you need to find someone who is licensed so I am looking for recommendations. Did you find someone?

    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭ PMBC


    The process of 'Road Opening' licencing has two parts- first is Registration for first time users and second the Application Stage for the specific site/road/grass verge/footpath etc.
    Yesterday I completed the First Stage i.e Registration for a small contractor in Dublin for road opening licencing - this is NOT an ad for him btw just trying to give the context and my experience of the system.
    In theory anyone can apply for and be granted a road opening licence to 'work on the public road'. You just go on to RMO website, download and complete the forms. In practice its difficult due to two main requirements
    1. The applicant, at Registration stage, must prove that he has Public Liability and Employer's Liability insurances. and that his policy specifically indemnifies all Irish Road Authorities i.e Councils and TII. The amounts of insurance cover are €13m and €6.5m.
    2. The contractor or one/some of his employees must prove that they have either been trained in or are about to attend a course in Road Opening and Reinstatement (ROAR) provided by the Counci's Regional Training Offices. There are two courses - Basic (two day) and Advanced (one day) which finish with tests to demonstrate competency. The courses are theory - Purple Book and compaction etc. and practice - fellows who are office based will be put using vibrating rollers and spreading bituminous material. A problem with the training is availability. Due to Covid, and even before that, courses were heavily subscribed and seemed to give first preference to Council staff.
    When upcoming courses are heavily booked, and they are for June, the Training Centre will offer to put you on a Waiting List for cancellations or future courses - this is taken into account on the Training Form to be filled out at Registration Stage. So an applicant can either give details of course completed or booked or 'shortlisted'
    Apologies for being long winded but the process itself, for first time users, is equally lengthy..
    Hope this helps.
    Summary you need to find a Contractor who is registered or uses the RMO system. To protect yourself ask to see his registration and/or the licence issued to him for your work.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo


    A bloody nightmare for the single hone owner just looking to widen their footpath!
    No doubt DCC will follow this model at some stage in the future!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭ PMBC


    Possibly Gumbo. I noted the RMO site excludes DCC. It wa simpler when the councils/corporations did the work directly at a cost.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 31,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Gumbo


    PMBC wrote: »
    Possibly Gumbo. I noted the RMO site excludes DCC. It wa simpler when the councils/corporations did the work directly at a cost.

    DCC still do.
    Got one done last week.
    €575 give or take.


Advertisement