Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpal tunnel and claiming compensation?

Options
  • 11-02-2020 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I've just been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I work in a very manual environment (which I really enjoy but seems to have caused the problem) and now I'm pretty worried as my doctor says I'll need surgery to correct the problem. Given all the negative media attention concerning people claiming spuriously, I'm very dubious about claiming against the company I work for. I understand that I'd need to claim through the PIAB but is it worth claiming at all? My bills could really mount up in the future because of this.

I haven't discussed it with anyone I know as I'd feel like a parasite tbh.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

C3pee0 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I work in a very manual environment (which I really enjoy but seems to have caused the problem) and now I'm pretty worried as my doctor says I'll need surgery to correct the problem. Given all the negative media attention concerning people claiming spuriously, I'm very dubious about claiming against the company I work for. I understand that I'd need to claim through the PIAB but is it worth claiming at all? My bills could really mount up in the future because of this.

Thanks all.

Are you a concert pianist?
    Why is your first thought to claim?
    I'd have thought you'd have no chance of a successful claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

How was your employer negligent towards you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Was there a health and safety breach on their part? What is the basis of your claim?
    Carpal tunnel is an occupational hazard in manual and office jobs alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

C3pee0 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks all.

What did your employer do wrong that you think you can sue them?

I work for the last 6 months in a job that has me constantly looking at a screen. Despite wearing anti glare glasses with a prescription my sight is deteriorating a lot and my eyes are sore all the time . Should I go to the PIAB or just sue the company directly?
    (The last bit is tongue in cheek but you get my drift!)

Carpal tunnel is a condition you recover from. It’s not life altering. As others said what did your company do wrong ? Why would you sue them ? Just get another job maybe .....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If you have developed an injury as a result of improper training or inappropriate work conditions, yes, you have the option of suing for your injury.

But in the circumstances you might take the view that entering into an agreement in relation to out of pocket medical expenses while you continue employment with them is preferable to ending in a position where you're being managed out so to speak.

Advertisement