Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoax job with false solicitor

Options
  • 06-02-2020 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

This situation recently happened to my sister in law and I was just wondering if anyone would like to give there take on it.

Roughly 4 weeks ago, she was approached by a driver in her existing job of 19 years and asked if she would consider a new role working for a solicitors' office as a Personal Assistant / secretary in what would be a start-up company close by.
    This man was described as a working barrister who represented large disability cases in Ireland.
    She was looking at new opportunities at the time and was eager to learn more.
    Soon after she attended an informal interview with the " practicing solicitor " and was offered the role. Received contract in the post and was given terms, pay arrangements and start date.
    There was a few more informal telephone calls, regarding how the office renovations were coming on, car parking arrangements and banking details etc.

SO, she was supposed to start last Monday morning. She got a call on the Sunday night that he had been admitted to hospital and had to appear in court regarding a case. Would she be able to come in on the Wednesday instead ( Please bare in mind that hindsight is a great thing ).

So to cut a long story short - the job was a scam/hoax/cod.
    He isn't a solicitor, he has no job, no means, living with his mother at home and is a total con-artist. I'm not even sure how far he was prepared to take it. Whether the plan was to take on clients etc. I have no idea. There isn't an office, and by all accounts was very convincing. Added to the fact that he has a disability and is in a wheelchair.

He had been using the name of a very high profile solicitor in Dublin to create a website and create this whole story of being a disabled barrister in Limerick.
    The website just went off-line this morning.

She has made a full report to the Guards.
    They did call to his house and his family now know all the details.
    But she has been told its a civil case as no money changed hands.

The original driver is very apologetic, he was taken in by him too.
    One other lady was also duped and thought she had a job with this man.

Apart from moving on, taking the hit and getting back into the labour market.

Can anything else be done ?
    Has anyone ever come across something like this before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

It's not just a civil case, it's fraud which is a crime. She was also induced into leaving her current job by false pretences - something very similar happened in the UK recently and the woman was convicted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Added to the fact that he has a disability and is in a wheelchair.

Not legal advice but if he did something like this to me, he would end up with a disability and a wheelchair. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gladerunner

I know, we have all been tempted with lots of things, but at the end of the day we would be the ones in trouble then.
    He seems he is very lonely fantasist but has all the lingo and went to great lengths to deceive her and others.

Leaving a job of 19 years to be faced with this has been a huge shock to her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Report to Law Society as well as to AGS
    Leaving open for now for general discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

La.m wrote: »
    It's not just a civil case, it's fraud which is a crime. She was also induced into leaving her current job by false pretences - something very similar happened in the UK recently and the woman was convicted

I saw this on the This Morning programme yesterday. They interviewed the woman who was duped. Not sure if you can watch it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

banking details
    There is an identity theft risk. Take precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Can anything else be done ?
    Has anyone ever come across something like this before

It seems an offence under Section 6 of the Theft Act could be made out. Write a letter to the Garda Superintendent of the District.

Advertisement