Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty Problem

Options
  • 04-02-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭

Possibly the wrong forum but couldn't see any much better place to ask.

I have jury duty the week after next (17th) but I wear hearing aids and have a problem wearing them at the moment thanks to water in my ear (possible infection) so wondering should I send a letter in before i go in at all, or should I go in on the day with a doctors note with the problem.

Just stressing about it now. Not helpful while also struggling to hear.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can contact the registrar to explain your situation and ask for an excusal. They can excuse anyone with "good reason", and difficulty hearing would certainly be a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Possibly the wrong forum but couldn't see any much better place to ask.

I have jury duty the week after next (17th) but I wear hearing aids and have a problem wearing them at the moment thanks to water in my ear (possible infection) so wondering should I send a letter in before i go in at all, or should I go in on the day with a doctors note with the problem.

Just stressing about it now. Not helpful while also struggling to hear.

Thanks for any help.

I think theres a return slip attached to the letter fill it out asking to be excused. Explain the details and if you have a drs note proof of medical situation add it to the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭rx8

It would probably be best to get a note from your GP.
    I've done jury service twice in the last 5 years, and some of the excuses given on the day to avoid doing it were laughable and were not accepted by the judge. Anyone with a "medical" excuse, produced a doctor's note. I'm pretty sure you can mention it to the court clerk before names are called. Don't stress to much about it, the judge won't have a problem with it anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

The staff in County Registrars' offices who deal with jury selection are usually helpful om such cases, Write in enclosing any medical certificates

Advertisement