Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

annual leave-probation

Options
  • 03-02-2020 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Hypothetical question.

Someone has been laid off whilst on probation. Company policy of 24 days annual leave. No work for this employee (no misconduct or anything of the sort) so let go at 12pm on a thursday and told will be paid in lieu of 1 week notice.

Total tenure just under 3 weeks. 1 annual leave day taken. They are saying this day will come out of the 1 weeks notice.

Surely the annual leave is an entitlement and should be treated separately whether on probation or not. 1 days annual leave would have accrued after 2 weeks of service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Your not entitled to annual leave until you have completed 12 months of service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Err, wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yeah, I'm fairly sure that's not a thing. Source?

OP, I would think you are correct, the one day of annual leave taken was as per their entitlement, and should not be taken out of the in lieu payment. I would be going back to HR/payroll and looking for clarification

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

28064212 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure that's not a thing. Source?

OP, I would think you are correct, the one day of annual leave taken was as per their entitlement, and should not be taken out of the in lieu payment. I would be going back to HR/payroll and looking for clarification

Are you sure thats right? Did it change recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Not that I'm aware of. Why do you think it is the case? If I'm on an 11 month contract, I'm not entitled to any annual leave?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There is no minimum period to be worked before annual leave entitlement starts (you start with an initial 8% of hours already worked entitlement), however what is relevant is how many days are normally worked in each week and how many hours have been worked in this just under 3 weeks hypothetical employment situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It changed in the 1920s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm glad some of you aren't working out my holidays!

Annual leave is applied pro-rata, usually weekly or monthly. Technically they should have accrued 2 days if they worked the full month, however they don't have to give paid leave in lieu of notice while the person is there less than 13 weeks, so they're still getting more than they are owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nope, that’s makey uppy stuff there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

And now for something completely different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement