Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC summons - car modified - lowered

Options
  • 03-02-2020 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello,
    I received a court summons in the post for a dangerously defective vehicle I was driving a while back. I only borrowed the car of a friend as my own car blew the engine as I was going to Dublin for the week for work and I was stopped. The car was lowered but had tax and test and I was insured, just wondering what sort of outcome should I be expecting for a car being lowered.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

One of the questions they ask when you get insurance is has your car been modified, unless you informed your insurer that you had lowered the car you were driving with no insurance and could be charged with that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Thread title amended

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

randomrb wrote: »
    One of the questions they ask when you get insurance is has your car been modified, unless you informed your insurer that you had lowered the car you were driving with no insurance and could be charged with that

OP said he was insured, we don't know if he was covered under his own policy or the car owner's policy. If the latter, your point applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

54.—(1) A person who drives a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place while there is a defect affecting the vehicle which he knows of or could have discovered by the exercise of ordinary care and which is such that the vehicle is, when in motion, a danger to the public shall be guilty of an offence.
    (2) Where a mechanically propelled vehicle is driven in a public place while there is a defect affecting the vehicle which the owner thereof knows of or could have discovered by the exercise of ordinary care and which is such that the vehicle is, when in motion, a danger to the public, such owner shall be guilty of an offence.
    (4) A person who commits an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a class A fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or to both.
    Both owner and driver are responsible. Class A fine is a maximum of €5,000. Get a solicitor

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

was the car seized and examined by a PSV man ? in order to certify it as dangerous and defective ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 CSween133

mynamejeff wrote: »
    was the car seized and examined by a PSV man ? in order to certify it as dangerous and defective ?

Yes it was, results were about the suspension both back and front being replaced with coilovers

Advertisement