Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a job in the public sector with criminal convictions

Options
  • 02-02-2020 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all. I'm finding it hard to get relevant information online regarding employment in the public sector having convictions. Is it possible for a person to get a job in the local council when that person has a couple of convictions for assault from over 10 years ago? I hope someone here can shed some light on this for me please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Zs101 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm finding it hard to get relevant information online regarding employment in the public sector having convictions. Is it possible for a person to get a job in the local council when that person has a couple of convictions for assault from over 10 years ago? I hope someone here can shed some light on this for me please

I believe you can change your name to get around the criminal record system

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Zs101

Big Gerry wrote: »
    I believe you can change your name to get around the criminal record system

Thank you for your reply. Really? That would be great if so. Where did you hear about this Gerry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Zs101 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. Really? That would be great if so. Where did you hear about this Gerry?

His name is not Gerry it's Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

If they were ten years ago, are you sure you have to disclose it?

Not a legal professional, but I believe some convictions become "spent" after a period of time, (7 years?) and then you either no longer have to disclose them, or only have to disclose them in certain circumstances, e.g. if you will be working with vulnerable adults or children.

Look up "spent convictions" and you might find more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Zs101

AulWan wrote: »
    If they were ten years ago, are you sure you have to disclose it?

Not a legal professional, but I believe some convictions become "spent" after a period of time, (7 years?) and then you either no longer have to disclose them, or only have to disclose them in certain circumstances, e.g. if you will be working with vulnerable adults or children.

Look up "spent convictions" and you might find more info.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I believe assault convictions are never spent and will always be on record unfortunately

• Advertisement
Advertisement