Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone driving Mobile Plant

Options
  • 31-01-2020 12:25pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Morning all,

Quick question if someone could help it would be much appreciated as Google isn't throwing back anything obvious.

Basically (although it seems obvious there is I can't find anything from HSA or RSA) but is there a "law" against operating a mobile phone while operating mobile plant (JCB's for example) internally on a factory floor for example.

A link to something definitive would be brilliant as there is an argument between the benefit of staff having one operationally and the potential legal issues (if any) should something happen.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Possibly would be dependant on internal health and safety policy.

If its internally on private property i don't think it would be illegal but i'm not sure

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Thanks for the reply, Funny you should say the argument is basically tying to dictate the H&S policy. Operations are of the view that use of phones is essential for contact (and TBF they are not wrong) but the counter argument is that if one of the machines crashes into a delivery (for example) then the company would be over a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

ziedth wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, Funny you should say the argument is basically tying to dictate the H&S policy. Operations are of the view that use of phones is essential for contact (and TBF they are not wrong) but the counter argument is that if one of the machines crashes into a delivery (for example) then the company would be over a barrel.

"Operators must ensure that their vehicle is stopped in a safe place before communicating via phones". I would say that is common sense tbh

Either that or get them wireless headsets, seems to work in Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You're unlikely to find any law as specific as that. There are laws stipulating a safe work environment, and allowing/encouraging mobile phone use may been seen as contravening that. And yes, if there was an incident, it's likely that the company would be (to use the legal term) "screwed"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I doubt there is any laws on it as they don't usually legislate all H & S matters, but as the poster above said if there was an accident and the employee was on their phone I think there would be a liability problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Basically (although it seems obvious there is I can't find anything from HSA or RSA) but is there a "law" against operating a mobile phone while operating mobile plant (JCB's for example) internally on a factory floor for example.

It would likely be a HSA matter.

Road Traffic Act applies to public roads an place to which the public have general access.

Advertisement