Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle Feeding problems

Options
  • 26-01-2020 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We are trying to get our little lad (3 mo) to take a bottle but having no joy. We've tried almost every type of bottle, latex teat, silicone teat (Nuk, Tommy Tippee, Medela, MAM) but he just won't take to any of them. Any tips or advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

We were in a similar position to you. Our daughter was breast fed from birth and we tried her with a bottle or two when she was a few weeks old which she took no problem. Our mistake was we stopped, assuming she had no issues. When we started trying to give her the bottle a little more regularly around 2 months she flat out refused to take it. It was like she didn't know what to do. We tried everything, different bottles, teats, and nothing worked. People suggested starving her a bit, which we never really did as it seemed cruel. It's also suggested to try and get someone else like an uncle or a granny to try, although this never worked for us.

Eventually we gave up and switched to using a Doidy cup when she was about 4 months and we were able to get a decent amount of milk into her with that when my wife went back to work.

If it's any consolation, out of the blue when she was about 6-7 months old she started taking the bottle when we tried again. Can't explain why after refusing it for months! We can now get 60-120ml into her at a time with only a little fussing. So your child could pick it up when it's older, but in the meantime try the Doidy cup at 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

pconn062 wrote: »
    We were in a similar position to you. Our daughter was breast fed from birth and we tried her with a bottle or two when she was a few weeks old which she took no problem. Our mistake was we stopped, assuming she had no issues. When we started trying to give her the bottle a little more regularly around 2 months she flat out refused to take it. It was like she didn't know what to do. We tried everything, different bottles, teats, and nothing worked. People suggested starving her a bit, which we never really did as it seemed cruel. It's also suggested to try and get someone else like an uncle or a granny to try, although this never worked for us.

Eventually we gave up and switched to using a Doidy cup when she was about 4 months and we were able to get a decent amount of milk into her with that when my wife went back to work.

If it's any consolation, out of the blue when she was about 6-7 months old she started taking the bottle when we tried again. Can't explain why after refusing it for months! We can now get 60-120ml into her at a time with only a little fussing. So your child could pick it up when it's older, but in the meantime try the Doidy cup at 4 months.

Top tip there with the Doidy cup. I didn't know about those. My first never had any problems with bottles so this is new territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I had this with one of my kids. I found that feeding him myself until he was half full and half asleep, and then switching to a bottle got him to start taking it. A few gods of that and he got used to bottles and took them no bother.
    My second boy never took a bottle really.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

pconn062 wrote: »
    We were in a similar position to you. Our daughter was breast fed from birth and we tried her with a bottle or two when she was a few weeks old which she took no problem. Our mistake was we stopped, assuming she had no issues. When we started trying to give her the bottle a little more regularly around 2 months she flat out refused to take it. It was like she didn't know what to do. We tried everything, different bottles, teats, and nothing worked.

I could have written this, about our 2nd, almost identical scenario for us! Ended up buying a couple of ridiculously expensive bottles (Mimijumi), but in fairness, they did the trick (so they were worth every penny!!).

After a while of using these, we were able to switch over to 'normal' Tommie Tippee bottles and she took them fine after that.

Maybe an option, if you can stomach the price and are at the stage where you'd try anything!
    On Amazon
    Their own website

Good luck!

Advertisement