Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

markpb wrote: »
    A family of 2+2 travelling to Cork this weekend will pay nearly €200 (all the low fares are currently sold out) so driving is definitely the cheaper option.

I assume you are talking about rail there. €74 return for a family ticket (2 adults + 2 kids) with GoBus. I take my family to Cork all the time by coach.

If you included the cost of buying a car, it would be much more expensive. Of course if you already have a car for other needs (commuting to work, etc.) then the cost of Diesel to Cork comes in just slightly below that. Though it is nice to just chill on the bus and not have to drive for over 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭trellheim

Why is Aircoach moving from the front of the terminals - is it just because DAA are auctioning the spots ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

trellheim wrote: »
    Why is Aircoach moving from the front of the terminals - is it just because DAA are auctioning the spots ?

The spots have been tendered for a few years at a time for the last 15 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

devnull wrote: »
    The spots have been tendered for a few years at a time for the last 15 years or so.

I wonder have Aircoach made any provision for replacing the ticket stands they currently operate beside their stops outside the terminals? The one at T2 is in a particularly prime location, it's right at the bottom of the escalator where you exit from arrivals. On your right as you come down, you can see the signs for the various Aircoach routes and right at the bottom of the escalator is a manned Aircoach ticket stand.

I assume that the new operator who's paying for those prime locations will have exclusive use of that patch i.e. will not have any high visibility competition as a next door neighbour so I wonder where will Aircoach locate their ticket stands?

Aircoach are moving to Zone 11, a map of the airport is here:
    https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/maps/transport-map.pdf

They'll have to lose their desk outside T1, can't see there being room for that set-up at Zone 11 but their ticket desks should be able to be moved without too much of a problem.

• Advertisement

Aircoach are moving to Zone 11, a map of the airport is here:
    https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/maps/transport-map.pdf

Thanks but I already posted that link, in post #6.
    They'll have to lose their desk outside T1, can't see there being room for that set-up at Zone 11 but their ticket desks should be able to be moved without too much of a problem.

That was my question.... moved where? AFAIK they are the only transport operator with ticket stands directly outside the terminals. I see loads of people buying tickets from their stand when I'm waiting for my Aircoach at T2, I just wonder how they're going to hang on to those travellers, or will they be lost to the new operator at the prime stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how many that relatively close, if you had a family, would take a bus to airport? I wouldnt!

an airport bus from citywest to city centre would be great. Would be good if it stopped off at redcow interchange!

I think that route would be awful. It's crap travelling on a bus from that side of the city to the city centre as there's poor bus priority on the Naas Road. Dublin Coach and Airport Hopper both use the M50 because of this. Bus through the city and out to the airport would be torture!

Dublin Express start date is 3rd March, unclear which routes it will be at present.

DublinDrivers.com is indeed linked to Dublin Express and is how drivers are being recruited, it's unclear at present who any successful applicant with Dublin Drivers would actually be working for, to operate Dublin Express services.

Domain: dublinexpress.ie
    Domain Holder: National Express Group Plc
    Admin-c: BFI384-IEDR
    Tech-c: AUA267-IEDR
    Account Name: 1API GmbH
    Registrar Abuse Contact: Service not supported currently
    Registration Date: 30-August-2019
    Renewal Date: 30-August-2020

https://www.iedr.ie/whois-result/?whois=dublinexpress.ie

Recruitment now live for Dublin Express non driving staff at Dublinexpressjobs.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Under Experience, knowledge and Qualifications on that link
    The ability to work shift patterns (nights, weekends and bank holidays including Christmas Day

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's flights on the 26th so there would need to be some support services to ensure the vehicles are workable that would include work on the 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Ah okay, that would make sense.

Deedsie wrote: »
    When will the route/stops for the 779 - Airport to CityWest be made available to the public?

All we know is that Express Bus has been given a license for a route, start date, stops and route etc are not yet known. It might not even be part of Dublin Express for all we know.

Just keep an eye on this thread, when further details are known I'm sure they will be posted, this thread is a very much a developing story and it will develop more over the next few days and weeks no doubt.

Placeholder main website now up for Dublin Express at:
    https://www.dublinexpress.ie/

Note that it doesn't work without the https

From 4 February 2020, Bus Éireann and Expressway services will depart from different bus stops at Dublin Airport's Terminal 1.

Zone 11
    101 Dublin Airport - Balbriggan - Drogheda
    109A D.C.U. - Airport - Ratoath - Dunshaughlin - Navan - Kells
    133 Dublin Airport - Dublin - Ashford - Wicklow
    X12 Dublin Airport - Dublin - Portlaoise - Roscrea - Nenagh - Limerick

Zone 13
    2/X2 Airport - Dublin - Arklow - Gorey - Enniscorthy - Wexford
    4/X4 Dublin Airport - Dublin - Carlow - Waterford - New Ross
    22 Dublin - Airport - Mullingar - Longford - Ballina
    23 Dublin - Airport - Mullingar - Longford - Sligo
    30/X30 Dublin - Airport - Cavan - Enniskillen - Donegal Town - West Donegal
    32/X32 Dublin - Dublin Airport - Monaghan - Letterkenny

Zone 14
    X8 Dublin Airport - Dublin - Cashel - Fermoy - Cork
    X20/20 Dublin-Dublin Airport-Athlone-Ballinasloe-Galway
    X1/X2a/xX5 Dublin - Airport - Newry - Belfast
    100X Wilton Terrace - City Centre - Airport - Drogheda - Dundalk

1580314183_content_main.png

With effect of 4th February 2020, all GoBus services at Dublin Airport will be changing the stops that they depart/arrive into.

Dublin Airport to Galway Services
    All Dublin to Galway services will depart from Zone 10 from 4th February

m-pick_up_dublin_airport_galway.png

Dublin Airport to Cork Services
    All Dublin to Cork services will depart from Zone 12 from 4th February

m-pick_up_dublin_airport_cork.png

The first post of the thread has been updated with all confirmed information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So, is there any route going from Terminal 2 to Cork anymore, or need to walk across to Terminal 1 each time?

titan18 wrote: »
    So, is there any route going from Terminal 2 to Cork anymore, or need to walk across to Terminal 1 each time?

Cork service locations

Aircoach Non Stop services to Cork will depart from Zone 11 at Terminal 1 from 3 beyond the multi-storey car park, the area where some Bus Eireann services depart from at the moment. They will not pick up at T2 but will drop off there. This will take effect from 4th March.

GoBus Non Stop services to Cork will depart from zone 12 at Terminal 1 beyond the multi-storey car park, the area where some JJ Kavanagh services depart from at the moment. They will not pick up at T2 but may drop off there. This will take effect from 4th February.

Bus Eireann Multistop services to Cork will depart from zone 14 at terminal 1, right at the back of the coach stop area beyond the multi storey car park on the left hand side. They will not pick up at T2 but may stop there. This will take effect from 3rd February.

I've attached a map of the stop zones to this thread.

Cork service locations

Aircoach .......... They will not pick up at T2 but will drop off there. This will take effect from 4th March.

Will that apply only to their Cork services or will Aircoach continue to set down at T2 for their other routes? I understand from earlier posts that boarding will be at zone 11 effective March 4th.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Will that apply only to their Cork services or will Aircoach continue to set down at T2 for their other routes? I understand from earlier posts that boarding will be at zone 11 effective March 4th.

The only information I have confirmed from Aircoach is that from 4th March 2020 their services will only operate from Zone 11 effective that date and they will continue to be able to set passengers down at terminal 2 as well as their new stop. I am sure that they will make things clearer nearer the time.

A senior management job (Head of Commercial & Operations) for Dublin Express has appeared on the NX careers site

It gives away a little more about the intentions of National Express in Ireland
    National Express Ireland is our newest venture and this role is an exciting opportunity to develop and grow our fledgling business into a major part of our coach and bus business.

Our entry into Ireland is built on winning a major concession with Dublin Airport to operate high frequency onward travel services between the airport and the City.

We will use this as a springboard to develop our business in Ireland further, offering bus and coach services across Dublin and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

A senior management job (Head of Commercial & Operations) for Dublin Express has appeared on the NX careers site

It gives away a little more about the intentions of National Express in Ireland

Throwing money at airports to get an upper hand on incumbents seems to be National Express' main business strategy over the last few years. They have done this at both Stanstead and Luton with subsequent bus wars (and lawsuits) against competitors.

It worked well in Stanstead, thanks to a deal that excluded the previous operator from the airport grounds they ran them out of business pretty quickly and gained a profitable route.

The incumbent in Luton went the legal route after the airport tried to evict them following the NX deal, the challenge worked and the regained access.

I guess we should be thankful this sort of crap is not happening in Dublin, at least any operator who cannot get stop space has the PAYG coach park to fall back on.

The link mentions coaches so I expect to see a fleet of second hand Levantes being used, lots of NX contractors have too many of these yokes hanging over and they are not well liked on the second hand market outside of the NX sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cork service locations

Aircoach Non Stop services to Cork will depart from Zone 11 at Terminal 1 from 3 beyond the multi-storey car park, the area where some Bus Eireann services depart from at the moment. They will not pick up at T2 but will drop off there. This will take effect from 4th March.

GoBus Non Stop services to Cork will depart from zone 12 at Terminal 1 beyond the multi-storey car park, the area where some JJ Kavanagh services depart from at the moment. They will not pick up at T2 but may drop off there. This will take effect from 4th February.

Bus Eireann Multistop services to Cork will depart from zone 14 at terminal 1, right at the back of the coach stop area beyond the multi storey car park on the left hand side. They will not pick up at T2 but may stop there. This will take effect from 3rd February.

I've attached a map of the stop zones to this thread.

At least they'll stop there. Having a longer walk at 4 or 5am in the morning would be a pain, and this is Ireland, so guaranteed there'll be rain.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I guess we should be thankful this sort of crap is not happening in Dublin, at least any operator who cannot get stop space has the PAYG coach park to fall back on.

The link mentions coaches so I expect to see a fleet of second hand Levantes being used, lots of NX contractors have too many of these yokes hanging over and they are not well liked on the second hand market outside of the NX sphere.

Would imagine the coach park is going to get busier though, since you've now got Aircoach moved to the coach and bus area that was already pretty full so either more zones are going to have to be shared between operators or some are going to have to drop back to the coach park.

We haven't heard what Citylink (currently Zone 13 and 14) and JJ Kavanagh are going to do (Currenly zone 12 and 14) and with the bulk of Bus Eireann Services moving from Zone 10 and 11 to Zone 13 and 14 they have to be moving somewhere you would have thought.

Not a fan of the Levante myself, poorly built and not that comfortable with claustraphobic seat belts and don't like the sloping seating layout. However the third, redesigned version that came out either last year or the year before is a certain improvement even though it's not perfect.

There will be fun outside T2 on March 3rd if Aircoach are still using that stop to pick up passengers and Dublin Express start running a service from there.

Aircoach say they will be moving to zone 11 on March 4th, the Dublin Express website says they are commencing their service on March 3rd. Looks like a one day overlap to me.

coylemj wrote: »
    There will be fun outside T2 on March 3rd if Aircoach are still using that stop to pick up passengers and Dublin Express start running a service from there.

Aircoach say they will be moving to zone 11 on March 4th, the Dublin Express website says they are commencing their service on March 3rd. Looks like a one day overlap to me.

I would suspect there is some confusion on Aircoach's end.

Currently they are managed from the UK rather than Ireland and I believe that the person who is the interim managing director is doing the job in Ireland in addition to his role in the UK.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Currently they are managed from the UK rather than Ireland and I believe that the person who is the interim managing director is doing the job in Ireland in addition to his role in the UK.

Well that doesn't sound good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I've also seen a rumour on another forum that Dublin Coach are hoping to serve Dublin Airport soon on their Belfast route .

I hope not - currently Dublin coach is the easiest way to go Dublin-Belfast - no messing around. DC are about to get few double deck coaches tho - maybe this is why..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭belfast stephen

kenmm wrote: »
    I hope not - currently Dublin coach is the easiest way to go Dublin-Belfast - no messing around. DC are about to get few double deck coaches tho - maybe this is why..

I like the Dublin coach service as it go stright to the city centre I have also heard that Dublin coach might have a new owner

Advertisement