Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x01 - "Remembrance" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

• 23-01-2020 8:58am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This premieres today in the US and may already be out in some places, so I'm putting this thread up now.

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the first episode. Spoiler tags will not be used. If you don't want to be spoiled, read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Iv just watched it - all i can say is, fantastic- Absolutely FANTASTIC opener

Cannot wait for more or to engage in speculation of where they might go with this?

Il probably write a proper sort of ups and downs later (Only down i can think of now is that im in work - and the entire season is not available)

Honestly I challenge anyone to suggest that this episode was in some way flawed

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Loved that episode. Well paced and a great introduction to this phase of Picards life.

Bruce Maddox was mentioned. He was such an antagonist to Data but eventually they became friends

350?cb=20121210231642&path-prefix=en

I have to tell you guys there is BLIND HATRED appearing online - specifically on a few Youtube channels - i cannot understand it - honestly i find it baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

liamtech wrote: »
    I have to tell you guys there is BLIND HATRED appearing online - specifically on a few Youtube channels - i cannot understand it - honestly i find it baffling

I just read "Romulans at Picard chateau are a clear analogy for Syrians" :(

I cannot understand it - clearly some people just do not WANT to like this show - honestly

They are looking for reasons to criticize it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Because it drives followers and they make money. So no matter what the series is like, they will sh!t all over it regardless.

We know who they are. It's utterly pathetic.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Because it drives followers and they make money. So no matter what the series is like, they will sh!t all over it regardless.

We know who they are. It's utterly pathetic.

Its actually annoying in a serious way - honestly - i just hope it has no effect on subscribers- im banking on getting 3-4 seasons outta this - and hopefully a TNG era spin off -

I know everyone wants Pike series but THIS is what i want

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Iv just watched it - all i can say is, fantastic- Absolutely FANTASTIC opener

Cannot wait for more or to engage in speculation of where they might go with this?

Il probably write a proper sort of ups and downs later (Only down i can think of now is that im in work - and the entire season is not available)

Honestly I challenge anyone to suggest that this episode was in some way flawed

It took its time to get where it was going but that's inevitable seeing as it's setting up the strands to come. Otherwise it was great!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Various rambling thoughts.

I had been a little concerned that the synths elements played into the story more than thought, and less so the Borg/Romulan aspects. It now transpires that the synths are like 95% of the first episode, but I'm okay with that, as it's being presented as more of a mystery angle.

It's a relief that Picard realises the nature of Dahj quickly, instead of dragging out something that's already made obvious to the viewer.

What should have been a big reveal of the Borg cube is rendered irrelevant since we've all seen it in the ads.

Spear wrote: »
    Various rambling thoughts.

I had been a little concerned that the synths elements played into the story more than thought, and less so the Borg/Romulan aspects. It now transpires that the synths are like 95% of the first episode, but I'm okay with that, as it's being presented as more of a mystery angle.

It's a relief that Picard realises the nature of Dahj quickly, instead of dragging out something that's already made obvious to the viewer.

What should have been a big reveal of the Borg cube is rendered irrelevant since we've all seen it in the ads.

IM just relieved Dahj isn't Michael Burnhams cousin or something ridiculous like that.. cant wait to get home and rewatch

the haters on YT are driving me mad though - should just ignore i know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

IM just relieved Dahj isn't Michael Burnhams cousin or something ridiculous like that.. cant wait to get home and rewatch

the haters on YT are driving me mad though - should just ignore i know

Well, no, Dahj isn't even a smear stain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was Fantastic. Loved it. I loved the opening scene with Enterprise D. Really like the main title opening as well. I like the way its not all action, action. There is some beautiful scenes and scenery in this. I loved what they done with the Golden Gate bridge and it makes perfect sense to use it to harness energy.
    Was starting to like Dahj so a pity see is gone so soon
    I actually thought we might get to see Data reborn in this episode but am glad we have not.

I take it the actress that played Dahj is also playing Dr Soji or is it two different actress's.

I seen someone said they thought it was rushed. I did not think so. If you want a rushed one check out Discovery.

I will most certainly watch this a second time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭pah

Couldn't wait for Prime Video for the first episode although I think I will for the rest of the season.

I liked seeing Picard on screen again, Patrick Stewart is awesome. And that's about it, pretty good action/fight scenes... Way to much going on, big reveals that were made too early IMO, Big leaps and assumptions made to draw conclusions that were not earned in the first half hour of a show about a character we've not seen for 20 years. SLOW DOWN FFS

The mystery around someone's identity and connection to Picard seemed interesting and I thought this would be teased out but then, oh look there's the answer, quick assimilate this info and.... Next scene
    STOP, just slow down

The whole thing was crammed and rushed IMO. I hope it calms down a bit going forward.

Some of the dialogue.....

I'm pretty sure one of Dahjs opening lines was DUDE, I'm a fellow at the daystrom...... DUDE????

He replies with "that's pretty cool" This is my problem with Kurtzman Trek. It has been established that in the 23rd and 24th centuries people don't use the terms dude or cool when they converse. How is that so fuçking hard to accept???? But they want to make it relatable so..... :rolleyes:

When she first met Picard, "I just feel safe with you something something", Christ

And of course subverting our expectations with that death. She was our last hope - No there is another
    Ugh
    FML

Some nice little Easter eggs and nods, the opening shot was beautiful. Fingers crossed for the next episode, I really do hope it gets better

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I very much enjoyed that I have to say.

Agree with the above that it's rushing a bit too fast to set things up, and the big reveal at the end was spoiled by trailers, but for all that it was a really good starter.

Of course, they have an advantage in that they're continuing a story with existing characters and plots (rather than the mess that is Discovery trying to shoehorn new characters and events into that established history) and the massive advantage of a lead who thoroughly knows his character and that world - but with that comes increased pressure to both be faithful to that world, and successfully move the story on.

From what I've seen so far, I'm a lot more excited about Picard than anything I've seen in 2 seasons of Discovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Loved it, tho agree there was a lot going on - anyone else rewind for the Enterprise scene?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Loved it, tho agree there was a lot going on - anyone else rewind for the Enterprise scene?

yep

Im not gonna lie i KINDA teared up about when 1701D came on - takes me right back to my early teens

I have a theory..

So when Dahj calls her mother after fleeing chateau Picard, there's a momentary pause and glitch in the comms when she catches that she never told mom his name.

Mom is just a program. The glitch was it/whoever's behind it resetting the responses to her unexpected statement.

I reckon it's Maddox himself. He sent Dahj to Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I could not wait until Friday.

Oh wow. What a treat. I really enjoyed that. :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Ms

fritzelly wrote: »

I sure did. It looked stunning and there is a video on You Tube comparing it to when it was in TNG. Its certainly a lot more shiny and glitzier this time.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have a theory..

So when Dahj calls her mother after fleeing chateau Picard, there's a momentary pause and glitch in the comms when she catches that she never told mom his name.

Mom is just a program. The glitch was it/whoever's behind it resetting the responses to her unexpected statement.

Nice theory. You could be write or maybe it could be something, or someone else or even some other reason that happened.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: That was good. Most surprised by the death of Dahj so early!

Not sure how I'm gonna stick having to wait week-to-week if this episode is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I really enjoyed episode one and hope they keep the story telling quality up as I was worried about this series after the mess Discovery turned out to be. The fast pace didn't bother me too much but the scene where Picard wakes up back home after Dahj goes boom felt weird and out of place, as it really should have taken place in a medical centre at Starfleet.

The season preview kinda bugged me, as I'm so sick of the Borg mcguffin bollocks route Trek shows seem to rely on, as those episodes always feel like a crutch for the weaker Trek stories. Anyone else reckon Dahj is not really dead after all the talk about her being able to cloak?

Venom wrote: »
    I really enjoyed episode one and hope they keep the story telling quality up as I was worried about this series after the mess Discovery turned out to be. The fast pace didn't bother me too much but the scene where Picard wakes up back home after Dahj goes boom felt weird and out of place, as it really should have taken place in a medical centre at Starfleet.

The season preview kinda bugged me, as I'm so sick of the Borg mcguffin bollocks route Trek shows seem to rely on, as those episodes always feel like a crutch for the weaker Trek stories. Anyone else reckon Dahj is not really dead after all the talk about her being able to cloak?

I suppose it's possible that she was beamed out an instant before the explosion (like how Sloan was beamed out before Koval vaporises him in DS9).

There's an awful thought.. If it turns out (again!) that Section 31 is behind it all as in Discovery.

31, like the Borg, are best used sparingly.

I suppose it's possible that she was beamed out an instant before the explosion (like how Sloan was beamed out before Koval vaporises him in DS9).

Problem with that is that whatever she got sprayed with was spreading all over her and eating her away in seconds, then the exploding phaser blowing her to bits

Ms

Slydice wrote: »
    1: That was good. Most surprised by the death of Dahj so early!

Not sure how I'm gonna stick having to wait week-to-week if this episode is anything to go by.

Ye it was a pity they killed her off so early but her sister is still there so I suppose that actor is still there to so it saves her having to do two twins lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I have a theory..

I was thinking along those lines myself - i really hope Maddox appears actually - might be in a minority, but even a Holo-recording would do

Assuming we take canon as TV's and Movies, and not STO, i am VERY curious as to where the Romulans got a Borg Cube, along with what they are doing with it?

Im also leaning in the direction of a theory - Why did the Synths attack Mars - could it be that someone, perhaps a Romulan faction opposed to Federation Help, was controlling them or forcing them to do so?

in general, MAN IT FEELS GREAT TO BE BACK WITH IN THIS ERA!:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

8472 came to mind when I saw the guy spitting out the stuff that killed her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'm trying to understand the timeline of the 'synths' destroying the rescue armada to Romulus. Did it happen before or after the rescue. How many Romulans were rescued? Were the 'synths' programmed to go rogue by those in Starfleet who didn't want the rescue to happen?

The show wasn't the disappointment many were alluding to online. Star Trek has always featured the movement of people - forced or otherwise - so I didn't take it as a direct allegory to events happening in the real world today. Anyways, the backstory to the whole show is nearly 20 years old!

I found there were more nods to the past than I had anticipated - which is a good sign. I've read that those nods will drop off as the show progresses, and that's to be expected given the current writer's want to put their slant on the Trek universe.

Nitpicking, but I never liked the holograph displays. I know technology will move on in time but people tapping something in mid air looks silly. I guess there is no other alternative to having a physical display which would look the same in 400 years from now.

I'll keep watching, while trying to avoid who or what internet folk are intent on predicting will turn up in future episodes - outside of who has already been revealed to appear.

Why did the Synths attack Mars - could it be that someone, perhaps a Romulan faction opposed to Federation Help, was controlling them or forcing them to do so?

Destruction of Romulus happens about 2 years later

The synth leader created by Starfleet went rogue - guess we'll find out why they did it later in the show

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand the timeline of the 'synths' destroying the rescue armada to Romulus. Did it happen before or after the rescue. How many Romulans were rescued? Were the 'synths' programmed to go rogue by those in Starfleet who didn't want the rescue to happen?

From the canon Countdown comic:

The pre-existing fleet ships were already performing evacuations and surveys within Romulan space. At the same time Geordi LaForge was overseeing the construction of a fleet of dedicated ferries at Utopia Planitia.

Who controlled the synths is unknown, as is why.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

In fairness Patrick Stewart is a bloody good actor, vibes of Logan from how he played it.

Anyone know is this is planned to be multi season ? I'm not sure how many seasons the story will support.

Advertisement