Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching English in Asia

• 22-01-2020 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13 Coffdrop

First time poster.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience teaching English in Asia? I'm 24 just gratuated with an hons degree in business and can't seem to find a decent job. I'm seriously considering heading to Asia to teach English (TEFL). Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of:

What course to do?
    Who to do it with?
    What country to go to?
    What to expect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Coffdrop wrote: »
    First time poster.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience teaching English in Asia? I'm 24 just gratuated with an hons degree in business and can't seem to find a decent job. I'm seriously considering heading to Asia to teach English (TEFL). Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of:

What course to do?
    Who to do it with?
    What country to go to?
    What to expect?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.eslcafe.com/

This website is the biggest job site for Asia.

From my experience the tefl cert you have doesn't matter, Groupon has deals for tefl certs for 5-10 dollars no need to pay hundreds for one.

The most staple places are Japan, Korea, China and Taiwan. Other countries have less stable markets like Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.

When contacting schools ask for a foreign workers contact and you can ask the foreigner questions, make sure you can get a legitimate work visa, many schools will lie and say they can get you one, if they can't then you should quit.

Best thing is to pick a country you like and then a city and look from there. If you've other questions it's better to pm me.

For ages, I recommended Vietnam. But between air pollution and the recent flood of South Africans driving down wages, I don't anymore. It's still a great place to live if you got here, liked it, and got set up with a work permit in a good school.. I just don't recommend it to people on the other side of the world.

Not sure what your criteria are for "stable", Oranage2. I think Vietnam is a very stable place to live. There's no link between visas, where you live, and what you drive. Employment law is very strong even if hardly anyone realises it. Politics may as well not exist. You can start a business. You can work in a restaurant if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

For ages, I recommended Vietnam. But between air pollution and the recent flood of South Africans driving down wages, I don't anymore. It's still a great place to live if you got here, liked it, and got set up with a work permit in a good school.. I just don't recommend it to people on the other side of the world.

Not sure what your criteria are for "stable", Oranage2. I think Vietnam is a very stable place to live. There's no link between visas, where you live, and what you drive. Employment law is very strong even if hardly anyone realises it. Politics may as well not exist. You can start a business. You can work in a restaurant if you want.

I just mean in terms of getting a work visa and a legitimate work place, of course there are many schools there can offer good terms but I just assumed not as many as the likes of China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan.

Of course I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Coffdrop wrote: »
    First time poster.

What course to do?
    Who to do it with?
    What country to go to?
    What to expect?

Thanks in advance.

Look into the Jet Programme. Very well paid and reputable international teaching programme

Advertisement