Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crèche recommendations

• 22-01-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭

I'll need to put my child's name down for a crèche to start in October when he is 11 months old, for two days a week. Any idea how much creches charge per day? Also, I was thinking of using Giraffe childcare in Blanchardstown. Any reviews of it or recommendations for creches in the area? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Stay away from Giraffe

Looking for a small independant where the manager works on site. You will struggle to find creche willing to take a baby 2 days a week.
    They are loss leaders - staff ratio is too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

John Mason wrote: »
    Stay away from Giraffe

Looking for a small independant where the manager works on site. You will struggle to find creche willing to take a baby 2 days a week.
    They are loss leaders - staff ratio is too high.

Thanks a million for this info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I doubt many crèches will take a baby 2 days a week it’s just not worth it, your also quite late for October. I’d suggest you spend some time making calls, quite quickly.

salmocab wrote: »
    I doubt many crèches will take a baby 2 days a week it’s just not worth it, your also quite late for October. I’d suggest you spend some time making calls, quite quickly.

I was worried I'd left it too late :( why won't creches take a baby two days a week, is it because it's not worth their while financially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I was worried I'd left it too late :( why won't creches take a baby two days a week, is it because it's not worth their while financially?

They need to pay their workers for 5 days though.
    Some creches would allow you share the week with another baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The place is staffed 5 days a week, even if they had someone for the other 3 it means if one left then they need someone to fill the exact days that that person has left free. Lots don’t even take 3 days especially at babies room. Your just not worth it to the business as they are generally full so don’t need the hassle. You may get lucky of course but Dublin crèches especially are busy and struggling for staff do will run a tight ship especially in the baby room. Really though a lot of footwork needs to be done, talk to every crèche you can and look at loads, even if you find one you love look some more as it’s great to get a feel for places and the more you see the more clued in you’ll be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

I have friends with children in giraffe (not the blanchardstown branch) who have no issues with the care offered there.

I don't think you've left it too late, I had left it later and we did get a couple of refusals but still had a choice of creches in our area.

I'd recommend looking at each facility individually and not ruling any in or out until you've visited. You'll find most have good and bad points so it's a matter of deciding what you feel you're unwilling to compromise on with your child.

You will struggle to get a two day week in any small crèche, the chains tend to be more open to that as they can absorb the cost/staff ratios easier

Edited to add in our area (Dublin north east) we were quoted from 660 to 940 for a 4 day week. We viewed 4 creches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

For two days you'll find it hard. Look for a child minder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Re Giraffe, I've been using Giraffe in Clonsilla for 4 years and my two have been well cared for there and love the girls. Never had an issue. But yes I don't think they do two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭browne_rob5

firebird84 wrote: »
    Re Giraffe, I've been using Giraffe in Clonsilla for 4 years and my two have been well cared for there and love the girls. Never had an issue. But yes I don't think they do two days.

We're using Giraffe in Cherrywood and have had a good experience so far also.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice everyone. The suggestion of getting a childminder is not something I'd considered but it seems the obvious solution. I'll definitely look into getting a childminder instead, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Thanks for the advice everyone. The suggestion of getting a childminder is not something I'd considered but it seems the obvious solution. I'll definitely look into getting a childminder instead, thanks.

Childminding Ireland are a great resource of information and also have a list of childminders registered with them

www.childminding.ie is their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I came across that site recently. Does anyone have any experiences to share of using it?

Advertisement