Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheaper postage to the UK?

• 10-01-2020 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Recently I've had a need to send paperwork to the UK once or twice a month, it's working out at €5.70 per envelope and this will now be ongoing. Just wondering if anyone could suggest a cheaper alternative? Speed of delivery is not an issue as long as it gets there, also my job takes me all over Dublin so no problem to drop it off at a depot if needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Quick answer in no.

Think of it another way.

You can pre-buy the €5.70 stamps and then you have the phenomenal convenience of being able to drop the envelope in any post box in the country and any time of day or night

Even if there was a slightly cheaper alternative, the convenience of an post for a saving of a euro or two per month would make it not worth while

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

It is convenient being able to use any An Post office but the flip side of the coin is the outrageous price difference compared to the UK:-

I'm posting a 250g letter

An Post €2.50

Royal Mail £1.32 = €1.56

Granted some of their parcel rates are more favourable but looking at the above example, what a rip off especially when you consider the difference in the service areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Chelon wrote: »
    It is convenient being able to use any An Post office but the flip side of the coin is the outrageous price difference compared to the UK:-

I'm posting a 250g letter

An Post €2.50

Royal Mail £1.32 = €1.56

Granted some of their parcel rates are more favourable but looking at the above example, what a rip off especially when you consider the difference in the service areas.
    Are you sure that's Royal Mail's international price and not their UK price?

From their website a 250g envelope is £4 for standard service to Ireland

The only £1.32 item they have is a 2nd class (3 working day delivery) service that is for UK to UK addresses only. An Post don't offer a 2nd class service. Granted they are £1.50 for 1st class (approx €1.80) v €2.50 here but economies of scale come into it. There are 1.8m homes here, there are over 25 million in the UK.

and then look at the wage difference - I'll bet you get paid more than your UK colleagues doing the same work

silver2020 wrote: »
    Are you sure that's Royal Mail's international price and not their UK price?

From their website a 250g envelope is £4 for standard service to Ireland

The only £1.32 item they have is a 2nd class (3 working day delivery) service that is for UK to UK addresses only. An Post don't offer a 2nd class service. Granted they are £1.50 for 1st class (approx €1.80) v €2.50 here but economies of scale come into it. There are 1.8m homes here, there are over 25 million in the UK.

and then look at the wage difference - I'll bet you get paid more than your UK colleagues doing the same work

Yes apologies, I was looking at internal, but still bit of a price diff, I asked them if they had bulk rates or suchlike but they said I'd have to register as a company etc and really for volumes much greater than mine.

As far as wages go I am ex-UK and lived here for 18 years, had 3 jobs and none of them pay any more than the UK as far as I'm aware, so I think it's possibly job-dependant, doesnt seem to be the case in my sector anyway.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If you're happy to stock up, you can buy books of ten Love national-rate stamps at post offices or online for €8 from 3rd to 14 February. You can make up €2.50 with two of these and a 50c stamp, thus saving 40c.

https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/Love-Marriage-2020-Booklet

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    If you're happy to stock up, you can buy books of ten Love national-rate stamps at post offices or online for €8 from 3rd to 14 February. You can make up €2.50 with two of these and a 50c stamp, thus saving 40c.

https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/Love-Marriage-2020-Booklet

Thanks, better than nothing :)

Advertisement