Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FUE Hair Transplant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

I'm starting to consider getting FUE done in Ireland.

Does Dr. Nel do all the HSW clinic swords procedures?

And for Tir Na Nog, does Dr. Kevin McDonald do all procedures? I see they've two premises: Donaghmede and Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

DeWanderer wrote: »
    I'm starting to consider getting FUE done in Ireland.

Does Dr. Nel do all the HSW clinic swords procedures?

And for Tir Na Nog, does Dr. Kevin McDonald do all procedures? I see they've two premises: Donaghmede and Tallaght.

Whats their pricing like? Did you get a quote?

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Whats their pricing like? Did you get a quote?

Not yet, just started thinking about this yesterday when I tilted my head down while looking in the mirror. I hadn't realised how bad things had got!

I don't think I'll be able to afford the Irish places. Was thinking about going to Turkey after Easter, as I can isolate for 2 weeks when I get back, but I don't know what's involved these days with what needs to be done to get on the plane, as in, do I need a negative coronavirus test etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Not yet, just started thinking about this yesterday when I tilted my head down while looking in the mirror. I hadn't realised how bad things had got!

I don't think I'll be able to afford the Irish places. Was thinking about going to Turkey after Easter, as I can isolate for 2 weeks when I get back, but I don't know what's involved these days with what needs to be done to get on the plane, as in, do I need a negative coronavirus test etc.

Some people ended up going to Spain with a dentist letter, so I wonder if it's possible to convince the authorities that a hair restoration procedure in Turkey is similarly "essential" (and get a nice sun holiday to boot!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Am in the same boat, I wouldn't go to Irish prices from what I've seen and from the ones that do give quotes are 3 or 4 times the price of places in Turkey. I'm saving for maybe next year or the year following.
    My concern is when is the right time to go do it? Do I wait another few years am I going to lose more hair? If I went now in 4 years time am I going to have a full head of hair at the front and bald on the crown! It's hard to decide what to do.

• Advertisement

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Am in the same boat, I wouldn't go to Irish prices from what I've seen and from the ones that do give quotes are 3 or 4 times the price of places in Turkey. I'm saving for maybe next year or the year following.
    My concern is when is the right time to go do it? Do I wait another few years am I going to lose more hair? If I went now in 4 years time am I going to have a full head of hair at the front and bald on the crown! It's hard to decide what to do.

Take Finasteride now to prevent further hair loss and hold onto what you have.

If you wait 4 years you will lose more, and so more will need to be harvested (both raising cost of the operation, and meaning more will need to be taken from the back and sides)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Take Finasteride now to prevent further hair loss and hold onto what you have.

If you wait 4 years you will lose more, and so more will need to be harvested (both raising cost of the operation, and meaning more will need to be taken from the back and sides)

This is exactly what I've decided to do. I've finally decided to give Fin a go. I'm starting with 0.25mg a day. Might increase to 0.5mg in a few weeks. Should mean I hold on to the hair I have and probably regain some too. I'll then probably go to Turkey when we are allowed. Hopefully by next year. And who knows, some people regain serious amounts of hair with Fin. So small chance I won't even need a transplant. Worth trying a small Concentration of Fin imo. Cost of prescription is tiny over the course of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Gents. Like many of you I am considering a transplant. Have a patch on the crown and a growing widows peak but a good tuft. Was with Dr.Nel for consultation, I need 2,000 grafts in each location. My hair is curly with a wave so I wasn’t expecting to need 4K grafts.
    Dr.Nels work looks top notch. My dilemma is more around the meds, don’t want to go that route. Has anyone used alternatives and seen a stabilisation in the loss? Price wise Dr.Nel is on the mid to upper end but I’ll sus a few others out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Rikand wrote: »
    Not prescribing finesterise was one of the main reasons I went with them for mine. The potential negative side effects of finesteride is not something I could ever subject myself to. They prescribe saw palmetto as their DHT blocker. A more natural remedy with no known side effects. Actually its shown to also be beneficial in keeping a healthy prostate, double win!

It's just over 3 months since I had my transplant with ailesbury. Happy enough so far. Little hairs are just starting to poke through the skin. Fingers crossed it all keeps going well

anyone else used ailesbury, have a consultation with them. a friend got fue with hair of istanbul and first 2 weeks redness gone but after month 2 and for month 3 his scalp got red and patchy, was this the case for you too so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Xiivxiiv

Depending on your NW, there is an option to keep your hair long(ish) at an extra cost for the transplant. It would be less noticeable at the front as your own hair would conceal the implanted hairs to an extent if you're NW2-3

Hi, is this with the fue method, and also is there only certain clinics that will do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Xiivxiiv

I'm really happy with mine so far. I am just over 3 months post op and the hair is already well on the way to growing and I already look better. Im sure the final results will be excellent going by how its looking st this very early stage.

I found the Dr Nel great and I would recommend him to anyone who could afford it at approx €4 per graft, I couldn't fault the experience. He is a very straight man who gives you the facts, explains all possible treatments and doesn't try to push you into anything. No salesmen involved.

tried to message you about dr nel, but im new so dont think im allowed. have a consultation with dr nel. a friend got procedure in istanbul, looked good after 14 days but 2 -4 months after there was times where it was very red and patchy.
    I dont mind 14 days or so for the redness but since my hair loss isnt too bad would it be possible to leave some hair on top to disguise it?
    Did it take long for your redness to subside?

thanks

How often do you guys dermaroll? And what size? 0.5mm?

Do you clean it with white spirits after or just rinse?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

I try to do it 2 times a week. I am finding it tough doing it in wet hair; dry hair works best. Also derma roll after Nizoral makes the scalp very flaky.

After dermarolling, I immerse it in Isopropyl alcohol , you get 1 litre for under 10 eur, check adverts

ah I'm just following Dr Nel's advice on this... Nizoral shampoo, then 20 strokes front to back while hair is wet and brushed back.

He recommends daily, but using a 0.5mm, what size do you use? Sounds a real hassle to have to clean it off every day in alcohol though.

Online forums mentioned a 1mm is better? But I think you only have to use that once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Hi I'm 27, I've been on Finasteride 1.25 daily for 4 months now and have noticed no change at all. My hair is still shedding like before. If I run my hand through my hair if get 2/3 hairs each time. When I shampoo my hair my hands have lots of hairs on them. Am I screwed so? I also have seborrheic dermatitis which isn't helping things but I thought Finasteride would at least stop the shedding anyway but things are only worse. I don't know what to do?

It will take sometime to stabilize. The only option is to start with everything asap

Have you tried Nizoral shampoo as well as that might assist with the dermatitis. You might be allergic to the current shampoo.

Also get a prescription for Loniten (oral Minoxidil)... No need for topical foam

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

I had 3400 grafts done FUE 6 months ago with Dr Andre Nel in Swords.

Dr Nel does all the procedures himself, he has technicians there to help him as well . I had mine done with him.

Are you doing all the other things he recommended?

Dermaroller every day.

Loniten every day.

Finasteride Mon, Wed, Fri.

Nizoral shampoo.

What size dermaroller did you decide on (0.5mm or 1mm etc) and do you use white spirits to clean it before and after each use?

• Advertisement

Where can you get Loniten in Ireland? Does this have bad side effects or what does it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Blood pressure medication,one of the side effects is it grows hair,not just on the head but body hair too.

I went to one of the top surgeons in the world in Dr Basinga and he really recommended it but I didn't want to risk it with a history of heart trouble in the family.If you're in a similar boat and don't want to risk it then apply topical minoxidil (rogaine)

I was on Regaine, but Dr Nel asked me to switch to Loniten. I am on it for the last 1 year now. He does check BP whenever I go there, no problems as of now.

You can get a prescription and get it in Boots

But where can you actually get a prescription for it? I use webdoctor for Finasteride as my local doctor wouldn't prescribe due to side effects. Where is Dr Nel based? So you take a tablet of Loniten everyday then or what do you do? Did you get a hair transplant? Thanks. Sorry for all the questions.

I've had no transplant (yet), but I've been on Finasteride for 6 months and noticed a significant increase in density. I've grown out my hair and it's actually ended up covering the thinning patch at the back, so much so that just some SMP (micro pigmentation) would actually make it look like a solid dense head of hair at the back. At the moment it looks like a thick head of hair if I tamp it down with a bit of wax, but obviously when the wind blows it around you can see the skin underneath.

Dr Nel updated his estimate of how much I'd need to get transplanted from 4,000, to 2,500 for just the front, based on how well the Finasteride was thickening up my hair density at the back

Dr Nel IS a GP, so he creates the prescription himself. He is on the list of recognised GPs when you search on Laya Healthcare etc.

He's based in Malahide, North Dublin.. but he will only prescribe when he meets you in person and you would need to have an initial consultation with him etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Not an expert but when you're balding the hair didn't fall out. It shrinks and eventually stops growing. Hairs that fall out of your head are healthy and normal and found by non- balding people too.

But each time I rub my hand through my hair I get 1/2 hairs each time. Also when I shampoo my hair there are 40-50 hairs. This isn't normal shedding. I only noticed my hair shedding since I noticed my male pattern baldness. I used to shed very little hair when I'd shampoo my hair before. But I dont understand because I had severe seborrheic dermatitis a few years ago and my hair was really thick. I'm not sure if me actually just having SB restricts growth and weakens my hair more (now as I also have Male Pattern Baldness?)

You'd probably just need to discuss this with a hair restoration expert as we can only speculate here. Having been to a few, I found Dr Nel to have the best response seeing as he is a fully registered GP too so he would be able to comment on the dermatitis.

The guys in Tir Na Nog might be good too, as I think some here have dealt with them?

• Advertisement

Of course , I derma roll every second or third day. Derma rolling every day I find it can inflame the scalp. I use Lonited daily and Fin 3x per week. Nizoral too , I use a base shampoo first non SLS and then I put on the Nizrola. I also purchased a lasercap from iRestore. My derma roller is 0.5. I got it fairly cheap on amazon, I think like 6€

Advertisement