Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FUE Hair Transplant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

I've have just had mine done with Dr Nel 2 weeks ago.

He is definitely not cheap and its borderline whether I feel its value for money to be honest, However you do get great service, its a very easy experience and the whole process fills you with confidence. His consultation fee is €200, he explains everything to you in this, how many grafts you need, and gives you a prescription for finasteride if you want to take it (there is no point in getting it done if you aren't taking a DHT blocker that works).

I have a friend who got it done in Turkey, came back and still didn't know about DHT blockers, that finasteride even existed, didn't know that the new hairs would fall out and regrow as thin baby hairs making it a long term project. They told him absolutely nothing, took his money, moved the hair around and dropped him back to the hotel. But to be fair he paid really small money for it so perhaps it was value for money.
    Tommy how many grafts did you have. can you provide a bit more detail.
    Was this unshaven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

So FUE is pointless without DHT blockers? For me they are out of the question due to side effects, but I was still planning on FUE for a Norwood I.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Well no, you could use oral minoxidil which is more effective than finasteride.

Why do they default to prescribing Finasteride over Minoxidil ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Minoxidil does not stop further loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommy Pickle

So FUE is pointless without DHT blockers? For me they are out of the question due to side effects, but I was still planning on FUE for a Norwood I.

In my opinion all hair transplants are pointless without taking DHT blockers. It seems simple enough to me, the transplanted hair remains while the rest of your hair continues to fall out, who wants to pay for a procedure for something like that to happen?

• Advertisement

suave.4u wrote: »
    Tommy how many grafts did you have. can you provide a bit more detail.
    Was this unshaven?

Yeah I only had the back and sides shaved so I can cover the new transplanted hair with my own hair. it looks like I’ve never had anything done now to be honest as the back and sides have grown back in a bit. I’m really happy about this to be honest because I didn’t want to be shaved bald. You pay a bit extra for not being shaved though it must be said.

I paid for 2500 grafts, he said he usually put in about 10% extra so I got 2800 grafts in the end.

You can Pm me if you have any questions you want to ask it’s no worries.

Yeah I only had the back and sides shaved so I can cover the new transplanted hair with my own hair. it looks like I’ve never had anything done now to be honest as the back and sides have grown back in a bit. I’m really happy about this to be honest because I didn’t want to be shaved bald. You pay a bit extra for not being shaved though it must be said.

I paid for 2500 grafts, he said he usually put in about 10% extra so I got 2800 grafts in the end.

What's the aftercare regime like?

Do you need to avoid sleeping on the area for a day or so, or keep applying disinfectant every few hours to the areas where the hair was taken from to avoid infection?

mrcheez wrote: »
    What's the aftercare regime like?

Do you need to avoid sleeping on the area for a day or so, or keep applying disinfectant every few hours to the areas where the hair was taken from to avoid infection?

You need 2 weeks off work for a start. You cant sleep on the transplanted hair for a week - 10 days, you sleep with a few pillows and kinda upright, and using an airplane pillow is helpful. This is more important over the first 4 days to let fluids and swelling run out of your head.

Dr Neil gives a spray that you should spray on every half hour while you're awake, again most important for the first few days.

You wash it one day with just water and the next with baby shampoo, this goes on for 2 weeks then you go back to using normal shampoo.

You go back to Dr Nel after about 10 days and if you've any scabs still left he
    will wash them off and have a look at everything.

Your hair wont grow in thick for the guts of a year so he doesn't bring you back then for a critical look at the job until the 10 month mark.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Is that better than the topical variant like foam? My thinking on the topical one is that you're liable to miss parts where it needs to be applied.

Does it cost more than topical and does it need a prescription?

Just on the oral Monoxidil. Monoxidil makes you grow hair, so when taken orally it can make hair grow anywhere/everywhere on the body. Thats why they produced the foam/spray, the topical form allows you to just get hair growth on the area of your body that you want it, ie the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You need 2 weeks off work for a start. You cant sleep on the transplanted hair for a week - 10 days, you sleep with a few pillows and kinda upright, and using an airplane pillow is helpful. This is more important over the first 4 days to let fluids and swelling run out of your head.

Dr Neil gives a spray that you should spray on every half hour while you're awake, again most important for the first few days.

You wash it one day with just water and the next with baby shampoo, this goes on for 2 weeks then you go back to using normal shampoo.

You go back to Dr Nel after about 10 days and if you've any scabs still left he
    will wash them off and have a look at everything.

Your hair wont grow in thick for the guts of a year so he doesn't bring you back then for a critical look at the job until the 10 month mark.

That's a carbon copy of the post op procedure with Ailesbury too. Would imagine its the same in almost all clinics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Clint01

Hi All, hope you are all keeping well and safe. New to this and have read your forum here. Just wondering if any of you had any further experience? Also Also @Tommy how happy were you with Dr Nel? I am looking to go see him. On Finasteride and Regaine for 3 months and haven't seen any difference. Did it take long for any of you to see much improvement from these drugs? If Blackrock are 10 per graft. How does Dr. Nel compare? Thanks Everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Any before and 6 months after pictures? Surely you just go bald again in a year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Clint01 wrote: »
    Hi All, hope you are all keeping well and safe. New to this and have read your forum here. Just wondering if any of you had any further experience? Also Also @Tommy how happy were you with Dr Nel? I am looking to go see him. On Finasteride and Regaine for 3 months and haven't seen any difference. Did it take long for any of you to see much improvement from these drugs? If Blackrock are 10 per graft. How does Dr. Nel compare? Thanks Everyone.

It will take about 2-3 months before you see any results from minoxidil,similar timeframe with finesteride in my experience.
    Forget about Blackrock, €10 per graft is the most expensive price I found anywhere in the world,there's a reason they don't have pricing on their site and it took a lot of over and back before they even admitted this price to me.
    What's your budget?
    For €2.5 -€4 a graft you could be going to some of the best and most well known surgeons in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Any before and 6 months after pictures? Surely you just go bald again in a year or two?

I'm at the 6month mark and could show you mine, but it wouldn't really be an accurate reflection of the total growth you should expect to see at completion.

Before and 1 year to 18 month after pictures are what you are looking for :D

All transplanted hair that takes hold in the first couple of weeks remains and doesn't fall out again. Taking the DHT blockers holds the remaining hair that would otherwise have been lost to Male Pattern Baldness.

Not everyone will get full coverage first time out. I won't for example as my total hair loss was beyond the point of a single transplant. I'm getting enough done to keep me happy for now and then review in a couple of years time to having a second procedure to fill in whats missing at the front and start working my way back towards the crown which I have had no filling on.

I wanted to try and focus on getting a good front to start with and worry about the crown later :)

I'm really happy with mine so far. I am just over 3 months post op and the hair is already well on the way to growing and I already look better. Im sure the final results will be excellent going by how its looking st this very early stage.

I found the Dr Nel great and I would recommend him to anyone who could afford it at approx €4 per graft, I couldn't fault the experience. He is a very straight man who gives you the facts, explains all possible treatments and doesn't try to push you into anything. No salesmen involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 billy king

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    If you want to be sure pay the extra money and have it done by a reputable doc such as feridini or bisanga in belgium, alot of horror stories from turkey with overharvesting, a lad at work went and tbh he has patches on his donor area now where he was over harvested, i went to Dr nel in dublin at 6 months so cant say final results yet but i really would not have been comfortable going to turkey and airports and all that comes with it. For the sake of a few thousand euro more i stayed here and had such a hassle free experience but i wont know final results for few months yet.

Where is Dr Nel based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

billy king wrote: »
    Where is Dr Ne based?

Was malahide, has move to a new facility in swords i think now.
    https://www.hair-skin-wellness.com/about-dr-andre-nel/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 billy king

suave.4u wrote: »
    Anyone?

I went there for a consultation and it seemed ok ? Did you go ahead with it?
    How much did Dr Nel quote you?

Hi Tommy,

I went to Dr Nel and am deciding between 2 dates of when to get it done. I need 1400 grafts. Just wondering if you mind helping me decide? Option 1 is in July, I would be getting it done on a Sat. I am working from home at minute so would be in work the following Monday and if I had to have a Zoom call etc plan to pop on a cap. My worry here is if I would be fit to work on laptop from the Monday and if I can pull off the various Zoom calls and take proper care of the transplant. We are on holidays first 2 weeks in August. This is option 2 as we had planned a trip abroad but have cancelled. We plan to do 10 days in Ireland now. Would get it done on the Sat and go away with the family on the Wednesday. I would love to be able to get it in July as then would be mostly recovered by holiday in August but feel I might be dreaming. Thanks for reading.

I am working from home at minute so would be in work the following Monday and if I had to have a Zoom call etc plan to pop on a cap.

Just say your camera driver is having issues after a Windows update and you're going to need to disable the camera for a few days?

There is actually a Windows update causing havoc at the moment on some computers.

I always leave my camera off these days, can't be arsed people knowing how bad my self-haircuts look :D

• Advertisement

Hi Tommy,

I went to Dr Nel and am deciding between 2 dates of when to get it done. I need 1400 grafts. Just wondering if you mind helping me decide? Option 1 is in July, I would be getting it done on a Sat. I am working from home at minute so would be in work the following Monday and if I had to have a Zoom call etc plan to pop on a cap. My worry here is if I would be fit to work on laptop from the Monday and if I can pull off the various Zoom calls and take proper care of the transplant. We are on holidays first 2 weeks in August. This is option 2 as we had planned a trip abroad but have cancelled. We plan to do 10 days in Ireland now. Would get it done on the Sat and go away with the family on the Wednesday. I would love to be able to get it in July as then would be mostly recovered by holiday in August but feel I might be dreaming. Thanks for reading.

I'm not sure what the advice Dr Nel gave you in regard to hats and caps but I wasn't able to wear one with where my transplant was. The back of your head can look pretty bad too.

To be honest if you get it done Saturday you really wouldn't want to be working Monday, apart from how you look you will be exhausted after being up spraying your head every half hour and not sleeping great, plus pain and discomfort. Id definitely be taking a couple of days off.

I will try get pics and pm you if you want if its the visual aspect of it that you are worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Hi Tommy,

Try to use a Zoom 3D background..
    https://area.autodesk.com/life-in-3d/15-zoom-meeting-backgrounds-to-escape-to/

But Tommy's reply is more apt; better not to work for couple of days.
    1400 grafts seem to be on the lower end. What NW are you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Depending on your NW, there is an option to keep your hair long(ish) at an extra cost for the transplant. It would be less noticeable at the front as your own hair would conceal the implanted hairs to an extent if you're NW2-3

Depending on your NW, there is an option to keep your hair long(ish) at an extra cost for the transplant. It would be less noticeable at the front as your own hair would conceal the implanted hairs to an extent if you're NW2-3

Stupidly I have given myself a Covid haircut I.e shaved it off. By August it will be a but longer so am contemplating just getting the sides shaved for surgery. 10 percent charge to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,

Has anyone ever used Premier Hair Restoration for FUE? I am afraid to go abroad to get it done but I don’t want to spend crazy money. Something around 5K-7K. Is Dr Nel the best in Ireland?

https://premierhairclinic.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 QC123

Hi there,

I’m looking for advise of the best clinic in Ireland?
    I have been going to treatment with premier hair restoration clinic in Dublin and and now considering FUE with them. They have an estimate quote of €7000 which is the max I’d be looking to spend.

If there any other clinic in Ireland that are similar price with amazing results.

I’ve looked at Dr Nel but seems too expensive.

What about tir na nog clinic, Ailesbury Hair Loss Clinic or any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

I'm also looking for advice on this. Have gotten a quote for €2000 from Tir Na Nog as I don't need much work. Was told on the phone by Dr. Nels crowd that his prices start from €8000, how does this make sense? Not going to pay €350 for a pointless consultation.

Anymore advice is appreciated anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Interesting thread. If you could pick any surgeon in the world (lets say you win a free hair transplant) who would you pick?

And if you had to chose between on of these three?
    - Bisanga
    - Koray Erdogan
    - Cinik

TripleAce wrote: »
    Interesting thread. If you could pick any surgeon in the world (lets say you win a free hair transplant) who would you pick?

And if you had to chose between on of these three?
    - Bisanga
    - Koray Erdogan
    - Cinik

Well I definitely wouldn't choose a surgeon that shipped me home on a plane days after the operation, so probably someone in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

+1 for Tir Na Nog Clinic

In my opinion and from doing my research online Tir Na Nog seem like the best choice.

Dr Kevin, who very professional knows his stuff. He sets out realistic goals and helps determine what the best course of action is. Very friendly too and in no way pushy with anything.

Tir Na Nog also provide great post op support. Something that would worry me if I went abroad to get an op done. I've heard some horror stories and would rather not risk it.

They're also running consultation online at the moment for free with Dr Kevin so I'd encourage anyone looking at one to have a chat with him.

I've spoken with a few other clinics in Ireland and the UK and have found them the best for the price and service they provide.

Advertisement