Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Freaks (2019)

• 04-01-2020 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭ cdgalwegian

Mentioned here before; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...&postcount=535

I'd add that it's in the same stable as Brightburn/Hancock/Chronicle in the 'subversion of standard superpowers genre' sub-genre. Came across it by accident, and I gotta admit, I was contemplating turning it off around the 20 minute mark; it was initally sluggish, and overly concerned with keeping the reveals to a drip-feed. However, once it overcame this inertia, it snowballed to a pretty good ending.
    It's a low-budget affair that starts of as a drama that becomes an all-out fantasy actioner by the end, fueled by really good ideas, where all the acting is commendable, but the star- 7 year old Lexy Kolker- is fantastic.
    If you liked the Brightburn/Hancock/Chronicle style, you should love this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭ Homelander

Really good film, best watched knowing every little about it - as mentioned above it's a little confusing at first but it really gathers pace towards the end as everything falls into place. I think it primarily works so well because the girl is such a tremendous and believable actor.

Don't want to say too much about it as talking about the general plot spoils some of the later reveals, but definitely worth a watch if you like indie sci-fi films.

Advertisement