Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flyfit Gym

Options
  • 03-01-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

I have a roaming membership here. I am so impressed with the quality of their classes. I had to book a different location to the ones I normally use yesterday as my class booked out in my local one ( new year and all that) but the class was brilliant yet again. Prior to joining Flyfit I was paying a fortune for a very mediocre gym. Anyone else find them excellent or was I just unlucky in my two previous gyms ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

I've been with Flyefit two years now. I pay 299 a year for roaming, fantastic value.
    I've never used the classes so I can't comment, but each gym I have been to (over 5 different ones) I have to say the equipment is in great condition, place is generally always clean, and usually someone at hand to ask.

Some buildings are a little small and pack equipment into every conceivable space, but I don't mind that, I rather have access to the equipment.

Some buildings are old and leak, again I don't mind that.

My main gripe is that, during peak hours, the gyms are usually crowded and you will be waiting to use equipment.

All in all, if I get in before the rush, I am happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I only go to classes as have not got the self motivation to go at it alone. One thing that annoys me is that classes can be full and then you go and they are half empty. They should be doing roll calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Paying 299 a year and you have a choice of gyms. There would be something wrong if it wasn’t busy at peak times and the classes didn’t fill up.

hurikane wrote: »
    Paying 299 a year and you have a choice of gyms. There would be something wrong if it wasn’t busy at peak times and the classes didn’t fill up.

It’s that you can’t book a class as they are ‘full’ but when you go in they are half empty. Spin classes would be an example. I think they should do roll calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

It’s that you can’t book a class as they are ‘full’ but when you go in they are half empty. Spin classes would be an example. I think they should do roll calls.

You edited your post after I replied.

I suppose the gym doesn’t want to do a roll call and punish members for not showing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

hurikane wrote: »
    You edited your post after I replied.

I suppose the gym doesn’t want to do a roll call and punish members for not showing up.

Only joined recently, and any spin classes ive done have had a roll call (liffey valley)

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Only joined recently, and any spin classes ive done have had a roll call (liffey valley)

I changed the spelling of roll - from role to roll. Not sure of the significance?

Nuttzz wrote: »

Wonder if it will start to apply across the board. Hopefully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Changing rooms in CHQ location are comically cramped for such a large facility. Is this typical?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Murph_D wrote: »
    Changing rooms in CHQ location are comically cramped for such a large facility. Is this typical?

Only used the threadmills in CHQ and got changed in work as we across from it. Moving office in Feb so cancelled the membership.

Its 30 day notice for cancelling, so you can use the gym within that 30 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

I've been to Portobello, Sallynoggin and Blanch and they were all had plenty of room. Baggot Street is a bit on the small side but can always get a spot to change. You might have to wait for a shower at the busier times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Only used the threadmills in CHQ and got changed in work as we across from it. Moving office in Feb so cancelled the membership.

Its 30 day notice for cancelling, so you can use the gym within that 30 days?

That’s the definition of notice! Works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Yeah they are a bit ridiculous, especially when there's a rush at lunch time, it's difficult to even grab your stuff from the locker, never mind find a space to get changed.

The ones in Dundrum and Baggot Street are much bigger anyway, not sure about any of the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I love FlyeFit but the only thing that really annoys me is when people book classes and then don't turn up and cancel. As someone mentioned, it happens a lot with the Spin classes. They could easily resolve it if they wanted to.

Apart from that it's great. I go between Ranelagh and Portobello. You can't go wrong for the price.

I have to laugh at Ben dunne crapping on about Flyfit being more expensive.
    To my mind, they;re completely different animals.

His is a gym with saunas that don't run anymore and a swimming pool with huge chlorine PPM that would burn the skin off a crocs back ! they took the one boxing bag off the multi frame because staff wouldn't pull people up for not adhering to club policy and then shortly banned skipping even in the most isolated of unused areas.

I use Flyfit swords and it's brilliant, like a conditioning centre. all free rollers/bands (which nobody steals, also a testament to clientele) loadsa room, loadsa boxing bags, loadsa wooden bases for skipping, it's never packed. they have a "please share machines" policy in writing on the walls, which saves awkward conversations. tons of free weights and that middle floor has loads of capacity for a person to do any number of great circuits with tyres, bags, lunges, whatever. I've never showered there, but if they had better showers it would be a very tough act to follow.

The changing rooms are tiny. I use my work ones or just shower at home if I’m using the one near the house. I wonder are the 24 hour ones busy. I know people work shifts etc but would you really be pumping weights at 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

rusty cole wrote: »
    I have to laugh at Ben dunne crapping on about Flyfit being more expensive.
    To my mind, they;re completely different animals.

His is a gym with saunas that don't run anymore and a swimming pool with huge chlorine PPM that would burn the skin off a crocs back ! they took the one boxing bag off the multi frame because staff wouldn't pull people up for not adhering to club policy and then shortly banned skipping even in the most isolated of unused areas.

I use Flyfit swords and it's brilliant, like a conditioning centre. all free rollers/bands (which nobody steals, also a testament to clientele) loadsa room, loadsa boxing bags, loadsa wooden bases for skipping, it's never packed. they have a "please share machines" policy in writing on the walls, which saves awkward conversations. tons of free weights and that middle floor has loads of capacity for a person to do any number of great circuits with tyres, bags, lunges, whatever. I've never showered there, but if they had better showers it would be a very tough act to follow.

Sorry to hijack a thread, but how is parking in the Swords Flyfit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi guys,
    I’m thinking of joining flyfit Tallaght, just wondering if anyone uses this gym?
    Also has anyone had any consultations from any of the personal trainers?
    I need to get myself back on track!

Advertisement