Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executing a will be another solicitor?

Options
  • 31-12-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi Legal Discussion, Happy New Year to you all!

My father passed away last Thursday and the will would need to be executed but we are not satisfied with the solicitor that is currently holding the will.

Is it possible to have another solicitor execute the will or does it HAVE to be the same solicitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dig all

Hi Legal Discussion, Happy New Year to you all!

My father passed away last Thursday and the will would need to be executed but we are not satisfied with the solicitor that is currently holding the will.

Is it possible to have another solicitor execute the will or does it HAVE to be the same solicitor?

I didn't think a will was given out so soon after someone passing away only a week like, for what reason are you not happy with the solicitor? If you have doubts about the solicitor then change, i changed mine few years ago, i got impression he was talking about my business to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Happened to me. If you’re the executor you can take the will to any solicitor you like. You don’t necessarily even need a solicitor, you can do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

loobylou wrote: »
    Happened to me. If you’re the executor you can take the will to any solicitor you like. You don’t necessarily even need a solicitor, you can do it yourself.

+1 it's totally up to the executor. And note that some solicitors include a clause in a will stating they they be used to execute probate, this has no legal effect whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Sorry for your lost esp at Christmas. As posters have said the executors do not have to use the solicitor who drafted the will. You can appoint another solicitor or do the process yourself. However unless it’s straightforward (maybe just bank accounts) it might be less stressful to get a solicitor if property etc is involved. But the probate office are excellent if you do the probate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Brilliant.

Thank you all for your responses. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement