Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Deeds - Keep with solicitor?

Options
  • 31-12-2019 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭

Hi, was wondering does anyone know if when you get the deeds of the house back from the bank after the mortgage has been repayed, you have to/should keep them with a solicitor or can just keep them yourself? Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Most people leave them with a solicitor but you can keep them yourself or even secure them in a bank or other vault depending on what kind of value they have. Some people are better at keeping things safe than others and that does for Joe Soaps, solicitors and bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I’d let the solicitor hang onto them. Or bank vault. Place got burgled before and the deeds were taken. No idea why, useless to a burglar, but the legal fees weren’t cheap to get them reissued.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I’d leave them with solicitor even if there was a fee attached - would be cheaper than having to recreate legal title if you lost/damaged the deeds. If you leave them with your solicitor you should let next of kin know so when you do pass away, they know where the deeds are.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Most solicitors don't charge to hold the deeds of a property particularly if they are used to clear the mortgage/ buy the property etc. A bit like wills it means you are more likely to stick with them.

It is the safest option as you are then covered by their insurance and don't need to think about it.

I also think I read that a lot of banks don't store deeds anymore unless they are as security for a mortgage, even if they do there is a fee

Advertisement