Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir gives me ridiculous charges on phone bill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ma88 wrote: »
    Similar story in my case, was in a visit to uk, on the way back on the ferry - did got charged roaming mobile data-9.75MB @ 60 euro- Vodafone.
    Now has been told they cannot guarantee coverage when you're travelling at sea, but there is a €6.15 per MB if so! WTF??!
    Did somebody else met this issue?!
    Thanks.
    That's probably the satellite phone network that's available on the ferry when you're out of reach of both UK and Irish networks. When you roam onto their network you should get a text from them with the, extravagantly expensive, rates. Nothing to do with Vodafone, Internet@Sea I think they're called. I just turn off roaming altogether when I'm on the ferry and use their, admittedly not very good, WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

Alun wrote: »
    That's probably the satellite phone network that's available on the ferry when you're out of reach of both UK and Irish networks. When you roam onto their network you should get a text from them with the, extravagantly expensive, rates. Nothing to do with Vodafone, Internet@Sea I think they're called. I just turn off roaming altogether when I'm on the ferry and use their, admittedly not very good, WiFi.
    Yeah, thanks for reply.
    Now im doing some online searches in this regard, and yes, being on the sea, its out of EU data, thing i never new about!
    Was not aware of that, i use to travel quite few times a year in between by ferry, but was on a pay as you go mobile, have not been charges over there, now on the last trip, did just change to bill pay, so looks like my bad luck with that!!
    Extra care next time, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

UPDATE:

After countless hours calling with Eir support, I finally got my reception back on my phone (aftera month) and didnt have to pay the outrageous charge.

I will certainly be more careful next time. Wisely I have chosen to get my broadband with virgin rather than with eir, and perhaps I'll change my phone to them soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

machaseh wrote: »
    UPDATE:

After countless hours calling with Eir support, I finally got my reception back on my phone (aftera month) and didnt have to pay the outrageous charge.

I will certainly be more careful next time. Wisely I have chosen to get my broadband with virgin rather than with eir, and perhaps I'll change my phone to them soon too.

Don’t forget to read the t&cs you have agreed to with Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

OP you mentioned that there were cheaper packages with more data. Some of the more expensive plans, you are effectively buying a phone and the call and data limits are rubbish. Some very expensive packages might only have only 30 minutes a month but you have a subsidised phone. Another consumer might have unlimited calls. texts and data on a sim only contract without a phone.

Some plans you are effectively paying over a 1,000 for a phone over 2 years, when you take the cost of the phone out of it, there is not much left for calls.

• Advertisement

Particularly if you are making calls or texts to UK mobile numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Hi this topic is from 2 years ago.

I haven't had issues with eir since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They can cut a prepay phone the instant it goes out of credit. They should be able to do the same with a bill pay and a data limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If boards doesn't want people replying to old threads close them. Or delete them.

Stupid old threads rule. They tied themselves up in knots trying to migrate old content to the new forum. Complete disaster and pointless aswell.

Sorry for reopening an old thread. It appeared high up in a feed and I missed that it was an old thread.

Great to see the OP had no issues since.

Advertisement