Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars

• 24-12-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

I never really got into Star Wars but as the christmas is long i thought id do a maraton of it. What is the best way to watch it. Is it by release date of by order number or some other method?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

4, 5 and 6. Don't bother with the rest. Except Rogue One, maybe, but watch it after those three.

Only way I can recommend them is in the way I saw them throughout my life, chronologically. 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Try this.
    Solo
    Rogue one

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It's not like the Marvel films I think where a very valid argument could be made that changing the order can make for a better experience. Personally, I think the only way to watch them is the release order.

I'd be interested to see what you think of them as I think unless you watch these from a young age that regardless of where you start watching it from it's going to be very ropey for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Try this.
    Solo
    Rogue one

Modified Rinster 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't think you can go wrong with release date.

Watching Ep IV after Revenge of the Sith would be disconcerting.

Rogue One after Ep VI, and Solo whenever you're at a loose end. Has no bearing on the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It won’t be the same now with the glut of movies with chi. Seeing a light sabre on tv at Christmas in the early 80’s when I was 6 and the ATAT walkers for the first time are very hard to top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

4,5,6, followed by 1,2,3. Then turn off your TV and pretend that 7,8,9 never happened. The sequels make the prequels look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Are there any plans to do a third “Star Wars story”?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Collie D wrote: »
    Are there any plans to do a third “Star Wars story”?

They are doing an OB1 story atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I’ll wait for that before I try all twelve in order. Odd choice seeing as his story was more or less covered in the prequel trilogy unless it’s between then and A New Hope. Doesn’t sound too exciting - him in exile. Would have preferred a Clone Wars one but oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I never really got into Star Wars but as the christmas is long i thought id do a maraton of it. What is the best way to watch it. Is it by release date of by order number or some other method?

I’d suggest just watching in order of timeline:

Ep 1 , 2 - prob the least popular and can be hard work at times
    Ep 3
    Then watch Solo and rogue one that show a fractured empire and some of the rogues in it
    Then the most popular , the originals , episodes 4,5,6
    The newer ones next 7,8,9

You could get away with just watching rogue one and originals (4;5,6) and you would get a solid introduction to the universe.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’d suggest just watching in order of timeline:

Ep 1 , 2 - prob the least popular and can be hard work at times
    Ep 3
    Then watch Solo and rogue one that show a fractured empire and some of the rogues in it
    Then the most popular , the originals , episodes 4,5,6
    The newer ones next 7,8,9

You could get away with just watching rogue one and originals (4;5,6) and you would get a solid introduction to the universe.

Totally spoils the episode 5 reveal, I assume you are trolling!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While not official, I'd also argue to seek out the "harmy's despecialized edition" of the films, which are extensive fanmade versions that strip out the Special Edition additions while upscaling to high Def.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

pixelburp wrote: »
    While not official, I'd also argue to seek out the "harmy's despecialized edition" of the films, which are extensive fanmade versions that strip out the Special Edition additions while upscaling to high Def.

While Harmy's efforts are impressive and have set a standard for the past few years, they are a mishmash of alternating resolution, colour corrected sources. The best versions to seek out now are the 4K scans of original, cleaned up 35mm theatrical prints called 4K77 and 4K83 (4K80 is in the works but there is no release date yet).

https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77/

The links to each project are on that page, also. There are different versions to choose from, whether it be a straight 4K scan with film grain, or DNR versions

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Totally spoils the episode 5 reveal, I assume you are trolling!

To be fair, while I dont agree I would say the majority of people over a certain age with an interest in films know the twist........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Modified machete order for me, taking into account Rogue and Solo before ANH.

For me honestly...
    RoTS is much like GoT season 8...
    Best avoided, not spoken of or even acknowledged.

banie01 wrote: »
    Modified machete order for me, taking into account Rogue and Solo before ANH.

For me honestly...
    RoTS is much like GoT season 8...
    Best avoided, not spoken of or even acknowledged.

Sith is the best of the prequesls
    Clones is the issue

pixelburp wrote: »

Great project but there are better versions now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I never watched Star Wars either (just bits and pieces here and there).

I feel that time has passed for me because unless you saw it as a kid my feeling is it won't impress me at all as so much of what people like about it seems to be based on nostalgia rather than quality.

I've never been that bothered on watching it for that reason.

It's actually unlikely I will ever have the motivation to watch it.

Is it worth it? Genuine question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I feel that time has passed for me because unless you saw it as a kid my feeling is it won't impress me at all as so much of what people like about it seems to be based on nostalgia rather than quality.

Watch the original Star Wars. It's a classic. It was designed to be a standalone film so no need to watch the others if you don't like it. But if you do like it, watch the rest of the original trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sith is the best of the prequesls
    Clones is the issue

Apologies for my fat fingers, I mean Rise of Skywalker.
    Sith is deffo the best of the prequels

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Isn't that now going to be a Disney+ series?
    I remember there was meant to be a Boba Fett film but that probably changed with the Mandalorian series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I watched the first films (1977 ones) and I thought they may have lost the spark. But to be honest, the plot is so tight with little waste, I had a great time. And they are less than two hours each so they are easy to binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The original trilogy are timeless. The special effects may have aged somewhat but the characters and plot are epic. For all their flaws, the prequels have moments of quality (especially RoTS), and they expand on the lore and mythology created in the originals. The sequels are simply regurgitated rubbish imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just watch The Empire Strikes Back, and forget about the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Rogue One', 'Star Wars', 'The Empire Strikes Back', 'Return of the Jedi' and 'The Mandalorian'.

:D

The original versions.

Advertisement