Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

survey text and opt out

Options
  • 23-12-2019 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

When a mobile phone company send out survey or marketing texts don't they have to include an opt out like "text no to XXXXX"

I am sure they do, am i right? I am talking of someone who never opted in to anything or registered

edit yes i am right

https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/organisations/rules-electronic-and-direct-marketing
    Each time you send a marketing message, you give the customer the right to object to receipt of further messages;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that the 'from' field in a text message can be spoofed, it might not actually be from your phone company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

If it's from a company you're a customer of, they would have received your contact details in the context of a sale to you. So they can likely avail of an opt in under the ePrivacy Directive, but still have to offer an opt out. It's described in the link in the OP.

Advertisement