Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible scam? Young couple Eyre Square

Options
  • 22-12-2019 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

My Aunt was asked by a young couple on Eyre Square if she knows any cheep hostels, she directed them to one but they told her they've already been there but it's full, she later checks online and sees said hostel has lots of vacancies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jonny one wrote: »
    My Aunt was asked by a young couple on Eyre Square if she knows any cheep hostels, she directed them to one but they told her they've already been there but it's full, she later checks online and sees said hostel has lots of vacancies.

Probably were turned away....

Only be a scam if they were looking for money or a place to be given etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Anybody saying they have nowhere to stay is either lying or was barred from every other hostel in Ireland. We have a very generous welfare system and when people fall through the cracks we have government funded charities providing all sorts of care.

It’s one of the best countries in the world to be homeless in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fair play to your aunt for having the savvy to question random persons approaching her on the street.
    However online checks don't always tell the whole story.
    The reception at the hostel are the final arbiter of whether they actually have space tonight for what the couple want.
    I'm struggling to see the possible scam if they didn't actually ask her for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Scam? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

BDI wrote: »
    Anybody saying they have nowhere to stay is either lying or was barred from every other hostel in Ireland. We have a very generous welfare system and when people fall through the cracks we have government funded charities providing all sorts of care.

Christ :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭elperello

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ :pac:

No room at the inn as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah jaysus

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

BDI wrote: »

Bit they weren't claiming to be homeless, were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

elperello wrote: »
    Fair play to your aunt for having the savvy to question random persons approaching her on the street.
    However online checks don't always tell the whole story.
    The reception at the hostel are the final arbiter of whether they actually have space tonight for what the couple want.
    I'm struggling to see the possible scam if they didn't actually ask her for anything.

its a tourist scam, ask where a hostel / hotel are, locals usually point one out, tourists will respond with 'i know the one im staying at is called x' or usually admit theyre not from there , then you ask for money. By leaving locals alone you can usually keep the scam going longer without gardai being alerted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

its a tourist scam, ask where a hostel / hotel are, locals usually point one out, tourists will respond with 'i know the one im staying at is called x' or usually admit theyre not from there , then you ask for money. By leaving locals alone you can usually keep the scam going longer without gardai being alerted.

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

lawred2 wrote: »
    Scam? How?

Worst scam ever, no money changed hands.

**** off. The correct answer is always **** off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I don't see the scam here and I don't see any good coming from the chat around it

So I'm going to close this.

If there is a scam that has occurred and there's is proof of PM a mod and the thread can be opened again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement