Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Hurling team of the decade

  • 20-12-2019 7:11am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ Local_Chap


    I see there is a football thread for team of the decade so thought it might be good to have a hurling one also.

    Here's my team for what it's worth:
    Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Daithi Burke
    Noel Connors
    Brendan Maher
    Brick Walsh
    Paidi Maher
    David Burke
    Mick Fennelly
    Noel McGrath
    Joe Canning
    TJ Reid
    Richie Hogan
    Seamus Callnan
    Patrick Horgan

    5 Kilkenny
    4 Tipp
    3 Galway
    2 Waterford
    1 Cork


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭ castletownman


    Incidentally, mine is almost similar, but with Anthony Nash in goal, Noel McGrath at midfield, and Tony Kelly at wing-forward.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 jr86


    Good team OP wouldn't have any arguments with that


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 Clonmel1000


    Cathal Barrett is a far better corner back than Noel Connors.


  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ limerickabroad


    No arguments with that team from me. Strange to think that no Limerick or Clare players would be there, given both won AIs this decade. Might be a shout for Declan Hannon? Who would you drop though? Tony Kelly far too inconsistent, imo


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ big_drive


    Good team. Wouldn’t change much.

    I’d go JJ Delaney corner back instead of Connors. JJ won 3 all stars in the decade (2 in the full back line). To me you’d have to include him in a team of decade.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭ blue note


    big_drive wrote: »
    Good team. Wouldn’t change much.

    I’d go JJ Delaney corner back instead of Connors. JJ won 3 all stars in the decade (2 in the full back line). To me you’d have to include him in a team of decade.

    Connors won 3 this decade too, all in the full back line. At corner back in fact, the position in question.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 jr86


    Who's people's player of the decade?

    Reid for me


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ Infernal Racket


    jr86 wrote: »
    Who's people's player of the decade?

    Reid for me

    He has no all Ireland's but I think Patrick Horgan overall is probably the player of the decade.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭ blue note


    Local_Chap wrote: »
    I see there is a football thread for team of the decade so thought it might be good to have a hurling one also.

    Here's my team for what it's worth:
    Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Daithi Burke
    Noel Connors
    Brendan Maher
    Brick Walsh
    Paidi Maher
    David Burke
    Mick Fennelly
    Noel McGrath
    Joe Canning
    TJ Reid
    Richie Hogan
    Seamus Callnan
    Patrick Horgan

    5 Kilkenny
    4 Tipp
    3 Galway
    2 Waterford
    1 Cork

    Usually these teams of the decade are made up of the best hurlers from the last 5 years, with maybe a token 1 from the first half of the decade. Interestingly with yours while I think only fennelly didn't play in 2019, but the whole team played pretty much the whole decade. It's part criticism and part commendation on your team by the way, there's no right way to do it really.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ big_drive


    blue note wrote: »
    Connors won 3 this decade too, all in the full back line. At corner back in fact, the position in question.

    Ya but I just didn’t think he was great. How he got 3 awards I don’t really know

    To me Cathal Barrett, Jackie tyrrell, Sean Finn would be ahead of him


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ GS11


    Gerry G wrote: »
    He has no all Ireland's but I think Patrick Horgan overall is probably the player of the decade.

    Has to be Joe Canning


  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ GS11


    blue note wrote: »
    Connors won 3 this decade too, all in the full back line. At corner back in fact, the position in question.

    I'd agree with Connors, as a corner back, he's the best, probably doesn't do as much out the field as Barrett.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ Infernal Racket


    GS11 wrote: »
    Has to be Joe Canning

    He'd be my close second


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ MfMan


    GS11 wrote: »
    Has to be Joe Canning


    Has to be Canning. Top scorer, superb provider, leader when required, inspirational always. Breathtaking quality to some of his cores. Has bestrode the entire decade, club and county. Horgan, Reid, Noel McGrath, Paidi Maher all worthy of mention but Canning over all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭ iebamm2580


    Paudie maher for player of the decade, he missed only 26 minutes of hurling in the decade (blood subs and coming off early due to winning comfortably), one of the kilkenny players said he was the only man cody ever gave instructions about shutting down. 3 all irelands 5 all stars in the decade.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ big_drive


    Player of decade for me would be TJ Reid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭ Billy Ocean


    iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Paudie maher for player of the decade, he missed only 26 minutes of hurling in the decade (blood subs and coming off early due to winning comfortably), one of the kilkenny players said he was the only man cody ever gave instructions about shutting down. 3 all irelands 5 all stars in the decade.
    couldn't give him such an award, purely as im baffled how he gets away with this barging nonsense for over a decade, I'd go for TJ


  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ Local_Chap


    Cathal Barrett is a far better corner back than Noel Connors.

    Currently Barrett is better but this is a team of the decade. From 2010 to 2017, Connors was one of the best in the business.
    big_drive wrote: »
    Good team. Wouldn’t change much.

    I’d go JJ Delaney corner back instead of Connors. JJ won 3 all stars in the decade (2 in the full back line). To me you’d have to include him in a team of decade.

    I had contemplated JJ but I feel Burke was the better fullback and I didn't want to be moving one of them into the corner.
    jr86 wrote: »
    Who's people's player of the decade?

    Reid for me

    Reid for me as well. He has got better as he has got older. Turned 32 this year and was phenomenal again. His work rate is second to none these last few years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭ conor05


    Local_Chap wrote: »
    Currently Barrett is better but this is a team of the decade. From 2010 to 2017, Connors was one of the best in the business.



    I had contemplated JJ but I feel Burke was the better fullback and I didn't want to be moving one of them into the corner.




    Reid for me as well. He has got better as he has got older. Turned 32 this year and was phenomenal again. His work rate is second to none these last few years.

    I know he comes from an unbelievable club, but he puts in a massive shift for Ballyhale aswel anytime I’ve seen them on tg4. No wonder they keep winning club all Ireland’s, lads like him would inspire 9-10 year olds to hurl in a small parish.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ MfMan


    Local_Chap wrote: »
    Currently Barrett is better but this is a team of the decade. From 2010 to 2017, Connors was one of the best in the business.



    I had contemplated JJ but I feel Burke was the better fullback and I didn't want to be moving one of them into the corner.



    Reid for me as well. He has got better as he has got older. Turned 32 this year and was phenomenal again. His work rate is second to none these last few years.

    Canning has been phenomenal since he was 17, not 24/25.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭ caddy16


    Incidentally, mine is almost similar, but with Anthony Nash in goal, Noel McGrath at midfield, and Tony Kelly at wing-forward.
    Kelly class hurler but too inconsistent. Murphy by a long way for me in goals, Nash wouldn't come close to him imo


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭ zetecescort




  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭ Cornerback1


    Hurler of the Decade for me would be T.J. Unreal performer - a 9 out of 10 in nearly every game I've saw him, for both club and county.

    Not only from frees (the crowd actually gasp when he misses one) but off the ball, his workrate is excellent.

    In fairness, hurling has spoilt us this decade, between great players and great games. This decade has really upped the standard - drawn AI Finals and unreal s/f's with extra-time etc.

    Games for the ages!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ westcork67


    Joe Canning - one of the all time greats and hurler of the decade - TJ a close second


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭ Hello 2D Person Below


    Patrick Horgan is deceptive as he has been playing largely against rinky-dink teams.

    TJ Reid is a rare breed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭✭ Colt Knost


    I would think player of the decade would be between Reid, Callanan and Paudie.
    Dont think Canning should be a contender at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭ aidan24326


    Colt Knost wrote: »
    I would think player of the decade would be between Reid, Callanan and Paudie.
    Dont think Canning should be a contender at all.

    And how did you come up with this inspired idea??


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,940 ✭✭✭✭ Mantis Toboggan


    Hurler of the decade definitely between Reid, paudie, Callanan and Canning. Reid probably deserves it just about ahead of Callanan.


    IRISHMEN AND IRISHWOMEN: "In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom"

    Irish Proclamation



  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ LMK


    Brendan Cummins
    Sean Finn
    Daithi Burke
    JJ Delaney
    Tommy Walsh
    Ronan Maher
    Padraig Maher
    Kevin Moran
    David Burke
    TJ Reid
    Austin Gleeson
    Tony Kelly
    Ritchie Hogan
    Joe Canning
    Patrick Horgan


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 Clonmel1000


    LMK wrote: »
    Brendan Cummins
    Sean Finn
    Daithi Burke
    JJ Delaney
    Tommy Walsh
    Ronan Maher
    Padraig Maher
    Kevin Moran
    David Burke
    TJ Reid
    Austin Gleeson
    Tony Kelly
    Ritchie Hogan
    Joe Canning
    Patrick Horgan

    Austin Gleeson and Tony Kelly ahead of Callanan? Paul Murphy is ahead of Cummins over the last 10 years. Sean Finn?


Advertisement