Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to civil service?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    I'm starting next month as an EO and was told that I will be working from home. For those working from home due to Covid, what are the working hours now that flexi is on hold? I know the hours are 7:24 but how long of a lunch does your manager tell you to take and what time do you start/finish?

Thanks.
    Varies hugely within offices, seems to be local arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

I'm starting next month as an EO and was told that I will be working from home. For those working from home due to Covid, what are the working hours now that flexi is on hold? I know the hours are 7:24 but how long of a lunch does your manager tell you to take and what time do you start/finish?

Thanks.

Completely depends. I am an EO and am pretty much left to my own devices as long as I get the work done each day.

I do an 8-4 or 9-5 most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

redmgar wrote: »
    Varies hugely within offices, seems to be local arrangements.
    Completely depends. I am an EO and am pretty much left to my own devices as long as I get the work done each day.

I do an 8-4 or 9-5 most days.

Thanks to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

Edit 2: There is also the shorter working year which allows a reduction in pay for a reduction in weeks worked.

Is there any upward limit on the shorter working year in terms of how many days you can reduce the year by?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Meathlass wrote: »
    I'm an AP in a small Department and generally work 9-6.30pm. This time of the year is very busy though so I'm usually here until 7.30-8pm most nights. I came in as an AO in 2015 and got an internal promotion to AP in 2019.

I would say it could be difficult to come into the Civil Service at AP level as there's so much to get your head around in terms of PQs, FOIs, briefings for Ministers etc. I don't see many people at AP or PO level in my Department who have shorter working week arrangements.

Most of my other colleagues at AP level also work to 6pm ish. I'd say this varies considerably through the CS depending on the role.

Knew an ap who spent most of their day in the canteen and them complained aboit how much pressure they were under with work load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Is there any upward limit on the shorter working year in terms of how many days you can reduce the year by?

Normally limited go 8 weeks but there is also no prsi paid and you loose pension entitlements while off as you're not paying into it. Q

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Thanks.

We're are sticking to being around for core hours, 10:00-12:30 & 2:30-16:00. Anything after that is up to to the individual as long as it adds up to 37Hrs at the end of the week.

I usually work a little extra during the week so I only work 4.5 hours on Friday.

You are allowed take *can apply for up to 3 continuous blocks of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 or 13 weeks (to a maximum of 13 weeks) per year.

Normally apply in September for the following year. Once the weeks are set, you are tied in and they will not allow changes or cancellations.

SWYS weeks can be taken as unpaid, or you can opt to be paid pro-rata spread over the whole year. SWYS weeks do not count as service, or towards calculation for Annual Leave or pension (annual leave will be reduced, pro-rata).

If job sharing, you can't change work pattern if you opt for pro-rata pay for SWYS.

*amended as SWYS, like all things civil service, is granted subject to business needs first, and can be refused.

Thanks.

Note the 7hrs 24 minutes does not include your lunchbreak.

Accruing extra hours for flexi leave is currently suspended for those WFH, so if you work up any extra hours at the moment you won't get credit for them.

But you can still work flexible hours, as in start and finish time, and lunch.

Managers in the civil service don't typically instruct you as to what time to start at or finish at or what time to take your lunch. Its flexible, once core hours are covered and your clock balances out at the end of the 4 week flexi period.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Loueze wrote: »
    Note the 7hrs 24 minutes does not include your lunchbreak.

Accruing extra hours for flexi leave is currently suspended for those WFH, so if you work up any extra hours at the moment you won't get credit for them.

But you can still work flexible hours, as in start and finish time, and lunch.

Managers in the civil service don't typically instruct you as to what time to start at or finish at or what time to take your lunch. Its flexible, once core hours are covered and your clock balances out at the end of the 4 week flexi period.

God be with the days it was 6:45. Sigh.

• Advertisement

Must have been before my time.

The minimum working day before HRA was 6:57 excluding lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Must have been before my time.

The minimum working day before HRA was 6:57 excluding lunch.

6:45 was what it was in local authorities, as far as I remember, and 6:57 in the civil service/Govt Depts.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

SWYS weeks can be taken as unpaid, or you can opt to be paid pro-rata spread over the whole year. SWYS weeks do not count as service, or towards calculation for Annual Leave or pension (annual leave will be reduced, pro-rata). .

What does SWYS stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

What does SWYS stand for?

Shorter Working Year Scheme

Advertisement