Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a solicitor?

Options
  • 12-12-2019 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Had a fender bender a while ago, no injuries,called guards and swapped details. Other driver decided to get legal advice after guard gave his opinion on liability.
    Fair enough, it was found in his favour and my insurance paid his claim.
    Now I've just got registered post from his solicitor for a personal injuries claim for "severe" injuries!
    An absolute scam imo but passed on details to insurance company who will deal with it.
    They advised I don't need a solicitor but wondering if I should. I would rather fight claim than them payout for these bogus injuries.
    So sick of this insurance fraud culture in Ireland. I know everyone will say, oh but he may have been injured, whiplash etc but it was purely cosmetic damage with my car getting brunt of it. We both drove off after telling guards there were no injuries.
    Anyway rant over but question is, do I inform my solicitor or just leave insurance company to deal with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Had a fender bender a while ago, no injuries,called guards and swapped details. Other driver decided to get legal advice after guard gave his opinion on liability.
    Fair enough, it was found in his favour and my insurance paid his claim.
    Now I've just got registered post from his solicitor for a personal injuries claim for "severe" injuries!
    An absolute scam imo but passed on details to insurance company who will deal with it.
    They advised I don't need a solicitor but wondering if I should. I would rather fight claim than them payout for these bogus injuries.
    So sick of this insurance fraud culture in Ireland. I know everyone will say, oh but he may have been injured, whiplash etc but it was purely cosmetic damage with my car getting brunt of it. We both drove off after telling guards there were no injuries.
    Anyway rant over but question is, do I inform my solicitor or just leave insurance company to deal with it?

Your insurance company will deal with the personal injuries claim, they will decide whether to payout or challenge. You have no say in the matter other than to pay the increased premiums you will be hit with. Sorry to be blunt but that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Your insurance company will deal with the personal injuries claim, they will decide whether to payout or challenge. You have no say in the matter other than to pay the increased premiums you will be hit with. Sorry to be blunt but that's how it works.

Yeah, expecting the increase next year. Can accept that when I'm found at fault. Just his extremely high quote for damages and now personal injuries is hard to stomach.
    Sad thing is I'm sure he's going on solicitors advice too. The whole system is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In fairness, it's not for you to say the other party hasn't had injuries that would've been caused by the accident, whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your insurers have the sole right to handle this claim. Your solicitor will not be permitted to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Yeah unfortunately it’s out of your hands now and even if the injuries are extremely minor, expect the insurance to pay out and for your premium to go up next year.

My brother crashed his car last year, the front wheel basically flew off with no warning causing him to crash into a wall at low speed, and one of the windows broke at impact, no other cars involved.
    An independant mechanic confirmed that it was no fault of my brother and just a freak accident.

He had no injurjes, his passenger had a minor cut on his hand from the broken glass - no stitches.
    His insurance requested his passengers details for their own records even though neither of them required any medical attention and neither of them were making a claim.

They contacted the passenger of their own accord and offered him 8k compensation for the cut on the condition he wouldn’t make any future claims for the accident. He was a young guy in his early 20’s and took what he was offered and ended up falling out with my brother over it.

He’s been told to expect his insurance to go up to 3/4k per annum when it’s renewed next year. It’s sickening. The sooner the industry is regulated the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

^^^^^^^^

Liberty by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

SusieBlue wrote:
    They contacted the passenger of their own accord and offered him 8k compensation for the cut on the condition he wouldn’t make any future claims for the accident. He was a young guy in his early 20’s and took what he was offered and ended up falling out with my brother over it.

Yeah this is a young lad too and is obviously out for as much as he can get. But karma is a b***h. He has plenty of years driving ahead of him, and some day, it'll be his turn.
    Ah well, won't bother with my solicitor so.
    Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement