Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 245 - Usman vs. Covington, Sat Dec 14th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wow what a main card. Fight of the year the main event was I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah, they all are Great night of fighting.

Delighted Colby lot too. Look at this. 100% intentional too.

https://twitter.com/BZR924/status/1206100813074108422

Must watch it again but I'm sure they were treating/concerned about the wrong eye, thought that was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

If Colby caught his eye, it's was Usmans left eye. They were checking his right eye and that's the one he was blinking to clear. Very strange altogether.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Just caught up on the fights, at the end almost every shot Usman was throwing was catching Colby straight in the face, and two put him down, Colby was done even with just a minute left

I really miss Mike Goldberg. Anik doesn't hold a candle to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Couldn't stand DCs commentary. Why does he shout into the mic constantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Beersmith wrote: »

Rogan is worse.

I actually like Dominic Cruz, Paul Felder and Michael Bisping.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Beersmith wrote: »

I just love how mouthy he was about Colby all fight, yet when Colby eye pokes Usman DC is dead silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have to say I like Anik, Rogan and DC togther, good honest commentary for the most part and some great, genuine banter between Joe and DC too.

Joe definitely says things others wouldn't which I really do find refreshing. Never forget the CM Punk fight where he said if he were conspiracy minded, he'd think someone paid Jackson to keep the fight going. Or when Ngannou and Lewis were scrapping...his brutal honesty was just genuinely very funny.

I also like Cruz, Felder is OK, most definitely Dan & John are excellent...only one I really don't like is Michael Bisping.

I used to like Goldy but since he went to Bellator he's really gone downhill, it seems to me like he's not really bothered anymore, he's become increasingly more like he's blatantly reading off a page and pressing catchphrase buttons.

I also think Big John is just awful, can't stand his commentary. Was never a big fan of Jimmy Smith but compared to Big John he is infinitely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

The Aldo fight yesterday is my issue with the commentary. They have a huge influence on peoples perspective of how the fight is going. To listen yesterday you'd have thought Aldo dominated and controlled from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

bmcc10 wrote: »
    The Aldo fight yesterday is my issue with the commentary. They have a huge influence on peoples perspective of how the fight is going. To listen yesterday you'd have thought Aldo dominated and controlled from start to finish.

I thought he won though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I thought he won though
    Ya I thought Aldo was the more dominant fighter. Would definitely have given him the win.

Great card all round. Nunes looked human but it's still going to take a lot to beat here. Volkanovski fought a great fight. Holloway looked to be getting a better read on him towards the end, but it looks like it will be tough to stop Volkanovski. Good power, skill level, fight planning, etc. Usman-Covington lived up to the hype. Great back-and-forth. Feel like Usman had the upper hand in terms of technique, etc. Colby is tough a hell but beyond the odd flurry that landed a few shots, I don't know if he has the answer to Usman. No problem with the stoppage either. He was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I thought he won though

I did too but the bias in the commentary was crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

What specifically about Goldberg did you like and what about Anik do you not like?

I mean I'm not picking on you but Goldberg is on Bellator now with Big John McCarthy and they're absolutely brutal. His job is to call the action but he ends up missing half of it while he rambles on about stuff not related to the fight at hand. He still screams "Just like that" though if that's what you miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Really surprised to see so many saying that this was a good stoppage.

Maybe I need to watch it again, but most of those punches looked like they were to the back of the head. You can't stop a fight due to illegal blows.

If he was repeatedly punching Colby in the balls, sure Colby deserves it probably, but would people be saying itwas a good stoppage? I don't think so!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Really surprised to see so many saying that this was a good stoppage.

Maybe I need to watch it again, but most of those punches looked like they were to the back of the head. You can't stop a fight due to illegal blows.

If he was repeatedly punching Colby in the balls, sure Colby deserves it probably, but would people be saying itwas a good stoppage? I don't think so!
    Didn't see any punches to the back of the head. My memory is Colby being knocked, Usman coming in, Colby grabbing the leg, Usman landing a few body blows before moving to the head, ref stoppage. Colby did turn his head from those final blows but they were still landing to the side. Is that what you saw as illegal blows?

IMO it was a great stoppage by the ref. Colby was done and only going to take more damage. You could see he was done after the first knock-down. He showed some iron will to get back up. TBH I'd say Colby knows it too but has to have some excuse to save face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The first 2 were clearly back of the head, the next 4-6 blows were legal and he stopped it. Ideally he should have seen the first two and stood them up however he didn't.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    The first 2 were clearly back of the head, the next 4-6 blows were legal and he stopped it. Ideally he should have seen the first two and stood them up however he didn't.
    Ya found a gif of the finish. There was a couple of blows that landed on the back of the head but they weren't too bad. I still don't have an issue with how it played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

xckjoo wrote: »
    Didn't see any punches to the back of the head. My memory is Colby being knocked, Usman coming in, Colby grabbing the leg, Usman landing a few body blows before moving to the head, ref stoppage. Colby did turn his head from those final blows but they were still landing to the side. Is that what you saw as illegal blows?

IMO it was a great stoppage by the ref. Colby was done and only going to take more damage. You could see he was done after the first knock-down. He showed some iron will to get back up. TBH I'd say Colby knows it too but has to have some excuse to save face.

Yeah you seriously need to watch it again .

US2 wrote: »
    Yeah you seriously need to watch it again .
    I just did. See my other comment. Literally just watched it a dozen times. The only difference between my memory and what happened was there was a few glancing blows to the back of the head before Usman moved to punching around the arm and into the face.

It went, armpit, back of head, back of head, armpit, face, face, multiple blows to side of head until ref stoppage. Colby didn't have a leg either. Was never close to closing his hands. They were on the legs but never active. Colby was more done than I originally thought.

• Advertisement

I just did. See my other comment. Literally just watched it a dozen times. The only difference between my memory and what happened was there was a few glancing blows to the back of the head before Usman moved to punching around the arm and into the face.

It went, armpit, back of head, back of head, armpit, face, face, multiple blows to side of head until ref stoppage. Colby didn't have a leg either. Was never close to closing his hands. They were on the legs but never active. Colby was more done than I originally thought.

Can you share the gif?

Can you share the gif?

Hes clearly done. Fell from a weak punch and then basically didnt move.

WarmGiftedHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif
    HiddenThirstyJohndory-size_restricted.gif

Neither show the finishing shots i'm afraid. I remember clearly seeing shots to the back of the head.

Maybe i'm mistaken. If I am, fair enough. If not, then it doesn't really matter whether he moved or not.

Neither show the finishing shots i'm afraid. I remember clearly seeing shots to the back of the head.

Maybe i'm mistaken. If I am, fair enough. If not, then it doesn't really matter whether he moved or not.

Wasn't sure if were allowed post links to it but this one is fairly complete
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MatureUnimportantCrossbill-mobile.mp4

Wasn't sure if were allowed post links to it but this one is fairly complete
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MatureUnimportantCrossbill-mobile.mp4

I can see the argument that they're the side of the head. However, I think they are shots to the back of the head.

I think Goddard was very quick to stop the fight. He didn't really give Colby a chance.

WarmGiftedHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif
    HiddenThirstyJohndory-size_restricted.gif

Its the most half hearted grab for his legs too. He was done, no point taking more punishment for the sake of it.

I can see the argument that they're the side of the head. However, I think they are shots to the back of the head.

I think Goddard was very quick to stop the fight. He didn't really give Colby a chance.
    Ya I get you. You could debate all day if it's the back or side of the head. I'd consider all but the first couple to be side. If it was just that knockdown I'd say Goddard was too quick, but taken as a whole I think it was fine. Colby was on autopilot by then and Usman was all over him. Goddard saved him some punishment.

Theres about 20 unanswered shots there inc both knockdowns. Colby nearly collapsed trying to throw that last punch.

He was exhausted, his jaw was broken and his face was covered in blood. He was done. Good stoppage.

Some people like to see fighters unconscious before a fight is stopped I don't get it. The ref takes the whole fight into account, if he has a suspected broken jaw that is going to effect the refs judgement when he's laying lifeless on the ground in the closing minute. How much damage has he taken to the head? How many cuts? How much blood is there? All of these are taken into account.

• Advertisement

Big John McCarthy has said before that a ref is always looking for things that people in the crowd, or at home, will never be able to pick up on.

He said referees take the minutest of details into account when refereeing. He mentioned something about when a fighter is bleeding, he'll know by the way they're breathing if they're safe to continue or if the blood is obstructing the airflow.

It was very interesting. I'm not sure if it was on Rogan's podcast or his own one.

Advertisement