Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dacia Spring

Comments

A brand new electric car for €15,000, that's going to generate a lot of interest.
    And if it sells in large numbers and I believe it will, could finally bring affordable electric cars to the masses.

My own Auris Hybrid has a 27hp electric motor and weighs 1420kg, with a full tank.
    Which works out at 19hp per tonne.
    Driving on electric only in the city is just about doable, but you'll get a queue behind.
    44hp from the Spring should be more than enough at city speeds.
    Although motorway/hilly driving could be interesting.
    I'd say people will forgive a lot for that price tag.

44 Hp heavy car isn't going to fair out too well at speed and wile it might seem fine in town in traffic ( which it will ) it's on the open road it will struggle and those test driving around town might be greatly disappointed if they do take it out on a long spin out of town.

There's a lot of Irish People buying so called city cars to do much more than city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is this expected to be 15grand before subsidies ?
    If so would this be 12 / 13 grand retail ( for the most basic )
    , and think how many cars in this country tip along either town or country ,doing school runs and shopping trips , rarely going on 100km roads let alone 120kms ..
    A bit different for commuter runs around city's .. you're gonna need to handle a mix of road conditions , but then it'll be worth your while buying something a bit more capable because you'll be saving on fuel , (for now till the road tax goes through the roof )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They've not announced plans for a RHD version yet, so not sure if they'll bother bringing it to Ireland.
    Re the discussion around it's performance, the car is due to weigh under 1000kg. It's power to weight ration is around 0.035, probably the closest car to it's level of performance would be the I-Miev triplets.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I drive a c zero at the moment. Commute from wicklow to dunlaoghaire. It's never seen a dc charger in the time I've owned it. It is tiny, spartan and not very powerful. But it gets me to work and back on my own every day (that i have to go there now!) for buttons. and it still has enough range left to get to the shops, do sports/activity runs with the kids locally and other errands. Had a leaf tekna but sold it cause wife also has one and it pained me to have that money all tied up in a car that was only used for commuting to work when this does the same job (in a bit less comfort) for the same weekly cost with a lot less cash tied up in it.

So there is a market for a cheap, non dc charging run about - albeit it may be a small one (but i doubt it).

Also, Dacia are popular for a reason, people are happy with the price tag and what they get for their money. Neighbors have two, a logan and a stepway, both bought new instead of more premium marques second hand.

I can see it doing well if it gets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If this had a decent safety rating, I'd be interested. The 80kW from my 2nd hand leaf is fun off the line (coming from crappy ICEs), but to get the Spring's range at that price, I'd trade off speed (or rather, acceleration).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

That's incredibly cheap, could see alot of people buying that if similarly priced here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It’s not the real price though. Just the first 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

And its not an Irish price either.... it would be €20k+ here no doubt.... but its not coming here anyway so its moot.

Good for those 100 Hungarians though... poor spec but well worth €11k!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If it was 15000euro before subsidies ( and I know there'd have to be an rhd version first ) ,how much would it be here ... ( Not accounting for gouging )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/autokatalog/marken-modelle/dacia/dacia-spring/

under 10k for base model after subsidies in Germany.
    The dab/radio/satnav with bluetooth and android auto will be an added extra
    DC charging at 30kw DC charging too.
    Pre-heating seems to be available.

This is the sort of car you can realistically charge once or twice a week at 2.3kw from a domestic plug and use as a second car but you'll find yourself using it most of the time for errands as it costs next to nothing to get in the electric car rather than the petrol/diesel car parked beside it.

I'd still prefer a Twingo Z.E. but hard to argue with it at the price.

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/autokatalog/marken-modelle/dacia/dacia-spring/

under 10k for base model after subsidies in Germany.
    The dab/radio/satnav with bluetooth and android auto will be an added extra
    DC charging at 30kw DC charging too.
    Pre-heating seems to be available.

This is the sort of car you can realistically charge once or twice a week at 2.3kw from a domestic plug and use as a second car but you'll find yourself using it most of the time for errands as it costs next to nothing to get in the electric car rather than the petrol/diesel car parked beside it.

I'd still prefer a Twingo Z.E. but hard to argue with it at the price.

All good except if it's that cheap Irish buyers will buy it for a lot more than town and city driving, this thing has no power, it's like the bad old days on non turbo diesels except they had a gearbox for some power at higher speeds. I'd hate to drive this on the motorway, even over taking would be frightful I'd say.

Such Low power isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

44 hp ! nearly fell of my chair laughing !!!

Sounds like something that would sell in Ireland alright. A yoke like that would get to 80 km/hr in about 30 seconds. lmao.

A 90 Hp Zoe take 14 seconds 0-100 ffs imagine this thing holding up traffic ?

cars in the 70's and 80's had this king of power but they were small and weighed feck all.

There's no need to skimp on power like that, different in the 70's and 80's where fuel had to be saved because People hadn't the cash but electricity is cheap.

44 Hp and 26 Kwh battery, that's real progress.

those values seem to make a perfect car for urban masses

lawred2 wrote: »
    those values seem to make a perfect car for urban masses

Yeah except if it's so cheap it will be used everywhere on the motorways holding up traffic and on back roads scared to over take with no power, hardly able to climb hills especially motorway inclines. Jausus. 1980's level of power except the car will be much much heavier than your little box from the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

It's shocking that Dacia feel the only way to make an EV cheap is to give it such little power.......

Irish People will buy it because it's cheap and drive it on the motorways in the middle lane.

That's an Irish People problem, not a Dacia problem.

54and56 wrote: »
    That's an Irish People problem, not a Dacia problem.

Making an under powered vehicle is a Dacia problem though, it's unnecessary in this day and age.

The only reason I can think of is that the batteries are dirt cheap due to having low discharge rates or C rates that more power is probably impossible, I can think of no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Making an under powered vehicle is a Dacia problem though, it's unnecessary in this day and age.

The only reason I can think of is that the batteries are dirt cheap due to having low discharge rates or C rates that more power is probably impossible, I can think of no other reason.

Put more power in it they'll have to charge more. Dacia are a business, they've identified their market and they'll sell, they're road legal.
    If motorway users buy low powered cars and get in the way instead of using the correct lane then it's not Dacias fault.
    People block motorway lanes in cars with twice the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

It may be "under powered" by Mad_Lad subjectivity but if it was actually under powered it wouldn't be certified for use on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Doesn't the i3 Rex engine only have 34hp?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭pummice

Who exactly has said that the price will be 15k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Lumen wrote: »

Doesn't power the motors though, just holds charge in the battery

Lumen wrote: »

34-40 not sure, the 94 Ah version got more power. It's irrelevant though because the engine isn't mechanically connected to the wheels, pity Dacia didn't make such a car.

vicM wrote: »
    Doesn't power the motors though, just holds charge in the battery

Yes only keeps power to the battery when needed, Lumen knows this too he's just being a git. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hellrazer wrote: »
    If they can do them at 15k they will sell by the bucket load just like the Duster when it was released.

No it won't. If it's only capable of reaching 105kmh they will sell hardly any. If it could do 140kmh it might.

54and56 wrote: »
    It may be "under powered" by Mad_Lad subjectivity but if it was actually under powered it wouldn't be certified for use on public roads.

No seriously, why bother with such little power in a heavy car unless the battery is so incapable of providing any more power it will be absolutely gutless at higher speeds with no gearbox and electricity is cheap so fuel economy isn't a concern.

"certified for public roads" once it can reach 50 Km/Hr it's fit for motorways lol, doesn't make it right or safe.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Put more power in it they'll have to charge more. Dacia are a business, they've identified their market and they'll sell, they're road legal.
    If motorway users buy low powered cars and get in the way instead of using the correct lane then it's not Dacias fault.
    People block motorway lanes in cars with twice the power.

Lack of power isn't going to make a big difference to range because it's wind resistance at higher speed that eats range not acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think there could be a big market for a car like this in Ireland.

Ideal for city use and also ideal for rural use.

I am in the country and just thinking about the average use many have for their present cars. Many I know of rarely leave their county, just shopping in nearest town once or twice a week, school runs, occasional trips to hospitals in neighbouring counties etc.
    Much or rural Ireland doesn't have motorways, you are lucky to get over 80km/h in reality. And many I know, if having to visit Dublin will get the train or Airport bus.

I think a smart looking low powered EV that's well priced would sell loads..

What's the range of this thing again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Miscreant

What's the range of this thing again ?

Is it not in the thread title? 250km.

With that low of a max speed then I certainly don't be buying it. I don't I would even want to drive one. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

i'd buy one for the kids when they are learning to drive. I remember what I was like hooning around in a 1.0L fiat uno. Being limited to 105km/hr would be a great tool for younger (17 to 21) drivers ;-) Might even help with the crazy insurance prices too?

Advertisement