Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Husband vent

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If my kids are upset or sick or whatever where they want to sleep in my bed I just go and sleep in theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

At OP:
    You say you had resorted to cosleeping with your one year old and your two year old ends up in your bed (presumably with your husband). Are the both of you still not getting enough sleep doing that? Do you spend a lot of night-time fighting them and trying to get them to sleep alone until eventually giving up exhausted? Have you tried not fighting them and just sleeping with them?

Thanks for the message. Good to hear from others who co-slept and it worked for them as all I'm hearing from family etc. is how bad it is and it's a bad habit.
    Things are getting a bit better. My daughter is nearly 18 months. I have given up trying to settle her in the cot. She just hates it and wakes screaming as soon as we put her in. We got bed rails for the double bed in her room. I lie with her until she sleeps and sneak out. She still wakes usually twice in the night. Sometimes I just end up going in to comfort her and falling asleep in there.

My two year old settles fine in his bed but going through a phase of waking upset and scared. We were trying to settle him back in his own bed and some night it was 2 hours of crying - which could then wake the one year old. :(
    We would then give in and I would end up with the younger one, my husband with the older one. It was like crazy musical beds at night. Now we leave my sons door open and he climbs into our bed and goes straight asleep. So it's a bit better. The odd night he'll sleep right through too which is amazing.

I just wish he would go back to being the amazing sleeper he used to be. But I guess these things are all just phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

dreamstar wrote: »
    Thanks for the message. Good to hear from others who co-slept and it worked for them as all I'm hearing from family etc. is how bad it is and it's a bad habit.

We heard the same too. My mom kept telling me that she co-slept as a baby and she didn't stop until she was 12!

Another thing we did with our daughter up to about 18 months, which everyone said was a terrible idea, was that we never let her cry at all. We always went to her and quickly comforted her as soon as she cried, meaning she never added panic to whatever was bothering her and so would stop crying almost immediately. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, all I had to was lie her back down and gently leave my hand on her chest for a minute or two and she would fall straight asleep. From 18 months onwards, we can tell if a cry is real and sustained or if its just something in her sleep that we can ignore because she will settle herself. (The manipulative cries for attention that have started since 18 months only happen when she is awake and can be dealt with then).
    dreamstar wrote: »
    Things are getting a bit better. My daughter is nearly 18 months. I have given up trying to settle her in the cot. She just hates it and wakes screaming as soon as we put her in. We got bed rails for the double bed in her room. I lie with her until she sleeps and sneak out. She still wakes usually twice in the night. Sometimes I just end up going in to comfort her and falling asleep in there.

My two year old settles fine in his bed but going through a phase of waking upset and scared. We were trying to settle him back in his own bed and some night it was 2 hours of crying - which could then wake the one year old. :(
    We would then give in and I would end up with the younger one, my husband with the older one. It was like crazy musical beds at night. Now we leave my sons door open and he climbs into our bed and goes straight asleep. So it's a bit better. The odd night he'll sleep right through too which is amazing.

I just wish he would go back to being the amazing sleeper he used to be. But I guess these things are all just phases.

I'm glad that things are improving. I think the most important thing is that you all get as good of a nights sleep as possible, regardless of where you end up sleeping.

Advertisement