Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEO of Waterford Council looking for 5% increase in commercial rates

• 02-12-2019 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Seems the council is in dire straights atm. What's the best solution atm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

"Part of the reason why Waterford is losing out is because city, town and county councils amalgamated in 2014"

Never vote Fine Gael again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They should put up the LPT a few % - it's been at the introductory rate for 6 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

"Part of the reason why Waterford is losing out is because city, town and county councils amalgamated in 2014"

Absolutely! Never agreed the councils should have been merged for a number of reasons. One of them is that the old Waterford county council was always short of money and basically the city has to subsidise the county now. Not to mention the city councils were not the problem with local government in Ireland. The problem is there was and still is too many county councils.

But like everything with government in Ireland god forbid they would fix the actual problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Seems a bit silly to me to vote on the local property tax before they vote on the budget. Should happen at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

When were commercial rates last increased?

My understanding is that this has nothing to do with the Council merger, rather a revaluation of Irish Water Rates.

Dublin City Council recently took steps to increase revenue to address an identical issue.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »

My understanding is that this has nothing to do with the Council merger, rather a revaluation of Irish Water Rates.

Dublin City Council recently took steps to increase revenue to address an identical issue.

This is surely because of revaluation of Irish Water Rates but it has hurt us more because of the amalgamation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

what is the Pact alternative budget for (i) without the additional government funding & (ii) with the required government funding? do they even have budgets to propose?

it's getting very tiresome with the same auld soundbites.

This is surely because of revaluation of Irish Water Rates but it has hurt us more because of the amalgamation

How so? Is there any evidence to demonstrate this?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

Government should work bottom up, not top down. The furthest I should have to travel to be heard should be at city hall on the Mall, not Dublin.

I don't see any alternatives either. It's voting for Kang or Kodos.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MoashoaM wrote: »
    Government should work bottom up, not top down. The furthest I should have to travel to be heard should be at city hall on the Mall, not Dublin.

I don't see any alternatives either. It's voting for Kang or Kodos.

This is one of the reasons why I voted for the city mayor, I do think our political system is too centralised, but unfortunately it didn't happen

• Advertisement

All great for your beloved Dublin, well for them. The shortfall in money represents a larger percentage of money for Waterford than it has for other counties.

All great for your beloved Dublin, well for them. The shortfall in money represents a larger percentage of money for Waterford than it has for other counties.

Would you stop. You've thrown a few points out there and if you're interested we can explore them further.

If the Waterford Council is in dire straights, or if this is due to the amalgamation of the Councils, I'm interested to hear about it.

I don't live in the Dublin City Council area btw - but they've been in the media recently regarding a shortfall caused by an identical issue. They've raised rates, social housing rents, the second increase parking charges this year, and on the East Link toll which are all obviously unpopular.

I was curious as to when commercial rates were last increased - if it's been a number of years you couldn't really argue with it. If they've had a lot of recent increases then they might have a right to gripe.

As far as I can see the Council have made a lot of positive changes around Waterford in recent years and should be commended.

I was under the impression that the amalgamation has reduced duplication of effort in administration and reduced costs. It might also allow for more joined up thinking about areas like Tramore - which I also understand is due to benefit from a lot of upcoming works to improve the public realm.

this could be interesting today!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gardner wrote: »
    this could be interesting today!!!!!!

they must really want to shut down businesses

Following Skelton on Twitter. Some joke shop our Councillor's. And some of this crowd want to be a TD hahaha

From N&S
    Waterford may be one of three local authorities forced to plug a five and a half million Euro funding gap to ensure delivery of the Waterford to New Ross Greenway

Can't see how they can throw a penny at this.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Following Skelton on Twitter. Some joke shop our Councillor's. And some of this crowd want to be a TD hahaha

Why would you follow someone you despise?

Jasus Christ why did you post that. Seriously. Step back.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Why would you follow someone you despise?

you follow the clowns for entertainment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Sinn Fein once again shirking responsibility when hard decisions have to be made. Back to being the perennial hurlers on the ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well in fairness, without his tweets, no one would have know what was going on and how much of an embarrassment most of those councillors are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Maybe you wouldn't hate him so much if you didn't read and follow everything he does. He's living in your head

debok wrote: »
    Maybe you wouldn't hate him so much if you didn't read and follow everything he does. He's living in your head

People who are interested in a much greater amount of local autonomy should check out the Twitter updates from last night. Be careful what you wish for.

People who are interested in a much greater amount of local autonomy should check out the Twitter updates from last night. Be careful what you wish for.

I did check and I think Darren Skelton does a great job.

The one thing to glean from this is that Sinn Féin are nothing more than impractical populists. They don't like to make tough decisions. The spin Conor D McGuinness has put on it is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

His an attention seeking media whore who gets off on sensationalism headlines.theres a few of his ilk on twitter who love brown nosing one another to make themselves important.its all about feeding their own self egos

Muttley79 wrote: »
    His an attention seeking media whore who gets off on sensationalism headlines.theres a few of his ilk on twitter who love brown nosing one another to make themselves important.its all about feeding their own self egos

That's his job.

I found this tweets on it last night very informative. Rather him than me.

What appeared mad to me was that proposals for the budget would be debated in the session out in the open and for it to be so poorly structured.

Certain Councillors then asking officials to check the figures for accuracy, and then powerpoints going up with wrong percentages in them and very little context attached to them - all looked really rushed.

At a national level whoever is in Government has the chance to put their proposals together, present them to the members, and then they're voted on.

There would obviously be a lot of work done behind the scenes in advance to secure agreement from the relevant stakeholders to ensure whatever is presented in the Budget will be passed, but you couldn't have a situation where it get's kicked around the place and potentially not agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Did they manage to make their Granville Christmas party? :D

Advertisement